Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I rename a LR Catalog?  (Read 4370 times)

Cynthia B.

How can I rename a LR Catalog?
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:39:23 am »

I created a Catalog several months ago and now would like to rename the catalog to something more meaningful, this would help differentiate several other catalogs from each other. Any suggestions on how to do this??
Cynthia

francois

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:32:06 am »

Quote from: Cynthia B.
I created a Catalog several months ago and now would like to rename the catalog to something more meaningful, this would help differentiate several other catalogs from each other. Any suggestions on how to do this??
Cynthia
On a Mac you use the Finder to rename the catalog. I assume that on a Windows PC, it works the same.
Francois

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:09:20 pm »

Care to be a bit more specific.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:13:44 pm »

Find the file on the hard drive and rename it.  In lightroom, open it.

francois

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:19:15 pm »

Quote from: maxgruzen
Care to be a bit more specific.
Rename it just like you would with a "normal" file (Mac): in the Finder, click on the file, wait until the selection box appears around the file name and type whatever goes through your mind... Be sure to keep the extension.
Francois

MBehrens

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 08:58:20 pm »

Won't all previews need to be recreated using this technique (simply rename the file)? In windows (maybe mac as well) a subfolder below the folder with the subject catalog, will be named "[catalogname] Previews.lrdata" Renaming this folder in conjunction with the catalog name may avoid the need to recreate all of the previews.

untested.

Followup: Tested and confirmed. Renaming the Previews folder in conjunction with the catalog file rename avoids the need to recreate previews. (Windows Vista 64, LR 2.3RC)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:09:07 pm by MBehrens »

francois

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 03:31:49 am »

Quote from: MBehrens
Won't all previews need to be recreated using this technique (simply rename the file)? In windows (maybe mac as well) a subfolder below the folder with the subject catalog, will be named "[catalogname] Previews.lrdata" Renaming this folder in conjunction with the catalog name may avoid the need to recreate all of the previews.

untested.

Followup: Tested and confirmed. Renaming the Previews folder in conjunction with the catalog file rename avoids the need to recreate previews. (Windows Vista 64, LR 2.3RC)
You also have to rename previews on Macs unless you want them to be re-created in a new xxx_previews,lrdata file.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up