Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Capture Installation Crash  (Read 3590 times)

Gabe

Nikon Capture Installation Crash
« on: April 25, 2005, 11:37:32 pm »

That's pretty crazy. If it were me, there might very well be a D2X-shaped opening in the nearest window by now..

Any ideas?

What form is the installer in, Robert? Is it a package file? One of those Installer-Vise things?

A little bit of info in that regard might help us figure out if it's possible to yank the data out of there somehow..

Beyond that, have you repaired permissions on your system drive lately? Are you logged in as an admin, or simply authenticating with an admin password when the installer asks for one?

Might also be worth logging out and then back in again while holding down shift, which will prevent any extraneous items from loading up (third-party extensions, menubar items, and anything in your login items list). What version of OSX are you running, BTW?

I gotta say though (even though I know it's been said 10,000,000+1 times already) that it's pretty disgraceful of Nikon to ask for an extra hundred bucks on top of the cost of the D2X  and then give you buggy software to struggle with.. and then... well, you know the rest  :angry:

Robert Spoecker

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 12:59:33 am »

The 4.1 version works and so did the key.  Wouldn't it be something if NC sales went totally down the drain because more normally ethical people were pissed enough to do the alternative key acquisition route (type "nikon capture crack" into google)?  I think a lot of people just haven't quite caught up to the internet age and realized that word gets around pretty fast and newer lies don't patch older lies for long.  Nikon can't smiley face PR BS their way out of this one.  

Too tired for more work tonite.

didger

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:51:39 am »

I've had no other problems with 10.3.7, so I'm not inclined to do a long download and update my system(s).  I have no idea at this point if NC 4.2.1 would do anything for me whatsoever compared to 4.1.  I'll check it out first.  I'm not interested in doing a lot of processing with NC, just the basic raw conversion with nothing but default parameters.  I'll use PS CS2 for all lens fix operations (CA, vignetting) and other tweakings.  If the 4.1 version does the raw conversion OK, I'll probably leave things alone.  I'm sure Adobe and Nikon will get things straightened out and I'll be back to using ACR.  In the meantime, I've got NC for as long as I want.
*ahem* kinks in the system..
*ahem", management dummies you mean?
freakishly great camera
 It looks like that Nikon 12-24 lens puts the D2X ahead of 1dsMKII in the ultrawide realm (unless you can find a Zeiss Distagon 18 or 21, or an exceptionally lucky Canon 16-35 L.  I don't think that D2X can match 1ds or 1ds2 for the resolution you get with the best Canon 50+ mm lenses.  Where D2X really shines is superior color quality.  There's simply no comparison.  Same thing for ergonomics and display quality.  If wide angle shooting is not critical and weight and money are also secondary issues then 1dsMKII could be a better choice for many.  For my circumstances and shooting style D2X was a no brainer.  Zoom lens support for D2X is simply phenomenal, and some of these absolutely world class lenses are cheap Tamron and Sigma at least as good as any comparable Nikon offerings.

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 07:34:33 am »

Where D2X really shines is superior color quality.
Can you expand on this point a little more - or even better, are you able to post any examples of what you mean? Are you basing this on JPEG or RAW output? It is a little difficult to visualise exactly how the colours may be different between the two cameras when they have been accurately profiled. However, no two manufacturers cameras are the same and the RGB colour filters will have different characteristics so I can understand that things will be rendered differently and metarism effects will be handled in different ways.

Thanks for any additional clarification.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

Gabe

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 11:58:50 am »

LMAO -- I keep forgetting that you are you and also sometimes not you! The lure of the G5 can do strange things to a man, 'tis true!

we're waiting for Tiger and in any case, I'd rather be out shooting than diddling with OS issues unless absolutely necessary

Ah! Well, wise decision there. Good to keep the priorities well in line (IE: out shooting > new OS > boring ol' system maintenance)!

I'm expecting the FedEx personage to show up with my copies of Tiger sometime on Friday (giddy with anticipation, too). I'll be doing the ever-fearsome "upgrade install" on one of my machines and will be sure to report back if any melt-downs occur. (if you're tempted to do an upgrade yourself, that would definitely be one instance where it would be very wise to get the 'old' OS fully up-to-date first. Sounds like you're perfectly capable of operating your computing-device on your own, but I'm not one to pass a dead horse without giving it at least a quick smack )

Robert Spoecker

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 09:07:32 pm »

We're just SO thrilled.  The lenses for the D2X arrived and we're ready to rock and roll; well, so we thought.  We had downloaded the Mac version of Nikon Capture 4.2 and it turns out it won't install on any of our 5 computers, all running 10.3.7.  The install process crashes very early in the procedure with a "This Application Quit Unexpectedly".  

Any ideas?

This is just SO wonderful; a $5000 camera ships with essentially no software on any media with the camera and the crappy $100 half baked beta download converter won't install and the clever move of blocking other folks from developing a converter that might actually work and maybe actually be installable on a Mac means we may be totally stuck for some time.  Joy, oh, joy, a new camera outfit that's about as useful as a car with no wheels.  Joy oh joy.  THANK YOU NIKON

Robert Spoecker

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 12:16:00 am »

The installation fails on all 5 of our Macs.  It's an installer where you have to type in your administrator password and the installation goes through a few steps and then crashes.  I'm at the moment downloading NC version 4.1 in the hope that the installer bug was introduced with the update to 4.2.  I also happen to have a few good words to type into the right window that should extend the 30 day trial to infinity.  Never do such stuff normally, but for my good pals at Nikon I'm willing to make an exception.

Tried the "shift" log in, no good.  OSX 10.3.7

The one good thing is that it looks like the camera and lenses will be a great combo for what I want it for.  I haven't done very thorough tests (and only jpeg files), but it looks like the Tamron 28-75 gives very sharp images at every focal length from corner to corner at least at f11; not as sharp as my 1ds with Canon 50mm compact macro, but then nothing is as sharp as that lens.  The Tamron is about equivalent to my 35mm Zeiss prime, which for a $400 lens is actually quite astounding.  It's also a very capable macro at all focal lengths.  The Nikon 12-24 looks like it's about equivalent to my Zeiss 18mm and 28mm; good, but not really great compared to good longer primes, and  considerable edge CA, but no soft corners.  In any case, there's just nothing any better out there in the ultrawide range.  I'll be doing more careful lens tests tomorrow and also testing the Sigma 105 macro.

Gabe

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 01:21:52 am »

Ok, well I've just downloaded the 4.2.1 demo for the Mac and all appears to have gone well with regard to the install on the two Macs I have here (don't have a Nikon digital to test the software with, but no crashes).

Even though they say it'll run on a 10.1.x install, I'd suggest you try updating the OS on one of your machines to see if something in 10.3.7 might be the culprit..

I'd suggest you:

- run Disk Utility (good ol' Disk Utility!)
- select your system drive from the list of mounted volumes on the left
- click "Repair Disk Permissions" and let it do its thing
- Log out and back again in with the 'shift' trick
- Run Software Update from the Apple menu and let it install everything it finds that applies to your situation (meaning you can ignore iPod updates and the like if you don't own one, but definitely do all the security and Java updates, etc.) Many things have been tweaked and fixed between 10.3.7 and 10.3.9, so you may need to go through a series of restarts. Just keep going back to Software Update until you get it all.
- Repair Permissions again once you're done.

It's a pain, but I have a sneaking suspicion that might do the trick for you.

I'm sure that's going to turn out to be a freakishly great camera once they work out all the *ahem* kinks in the system.. Personally, I'm seriously considering the 'encrypted files' being output by the F6 for my next move. My recent purchase of the 17-35 2.8D AIS has caused the 2DX to be firmly out of my budget for a while, but man-o-man would I ever like to see that combo together!

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 04:30:08 am »

I've had no other problems with 10.3.7, so I'm not inclined to do a long download and update my system(s).

You should do so anyway, since non-updated systems is the primary cause for security issues (and therefore spam and viruses) on the Internet.  While there aren't many viruses for MacOS X, old systems with known security holes are very popular as springboards for attacking other systems, and sometimes your data is at risk.

It looks like that Nikon 12-24 lens puts the D2X ahead of 1dsMKII in the ultrawide realm (unless you can find a Zeiss Distagon 18 or 21, or an exceptionally lucky Canon 16-35 L.  I don't think that D2X can match 1ds or 1ds2 for the resolution you get with the best Canon 50+ mm lenses.  Where D2X really shines is superior color quality.  There's simply no comparison.  Same thing for ergonomics and display quality.  If wide angle shooting is not critical and weight and money are also secondary issues then 1dsMKII could be a better choice for many.  For my circumstances and shooting style D2X was a no brainer.  Zoom lens support for D2X is simply phenomenal, and some of these absolutely world class lenses are cheap Tamron and Sigma at least as good as any comparable Nikon offerings.

I'm happy for you!  The D2X is the first Nikon DSLR that I've honestly felt that I want to own, and reports like yours is helping that feeling along just nicely.  I've been making mental notes about your experiences with the 1Ds, and I'll keep making them as you report on the D2X.  Thanks, didger!

If I should find myself in a position of wealth, I'd likely buy a top-of-the-line Canon as well as the D2X, just to cover my options.  But for now, I'll just have to make do with my 20D.  :)
Jan

didger

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 07:35:44 am »

We appreciate the points about upgrading OSX, but we're waiting for Tiger and in any case, I'd rather be out shooting than diddling with OS issues unless absolutely necessary.  No data is at risk with quadruple backup of images off line and so far I have no idea whatsoever if NC 4.2.1 is in any way better for us than 4.1 or if there are not perhaps other new bugs in the latest version.  Thank you very much, however for sharing your obviously far greater Mac expertise than my minimal expertise even after so many years of Maccing!
top-of-the-line Canon as well as the D2X
Yeah, for the great majority of my shooting conditions D2X is way WAY out front the best way to go from many points of view, but I don't know if it's possible to get the resolution of 1ds and 50mm compact macro in any way whatsoever with a D2X.  That Tamron 28-75 gets amazingly close, but just not quite and there seem not to be any better options for 50mm equivalent lenses.  I also have not been reading anything good about that Nikon 10.5 fisheye, whereas there are excellent (Canon and Zeiss) rectangular fisheye options. Moreover, I have 3 T&S lenses for the Canon that I know I'll love using in slot canyons.  Furthermore, having Canon AND Nikon stuff means you're ready to rock if one or the other company comes out with something else really incredible, like the invevitable future 12 stop DR DSLR.  I just wish Canon would start all over again with a lighter camera with a better display and ergonomics and batteries and color quality (without a lot of PS tweaking).  The D2X just totally leaves Canon in the dust in those regards.  Canon might have to retire the 1dAnything line.  I just hope they don't do one more lens mount change.

I'll be doing another couple of days or so of basic testing (if the 4.1 version on NC works OK) with the D2X and then I'll get out for actual shooting.

Thanks for any additional clarification.
Without a raw converter, I haven't been able to do any really serious D2X testing; not enough time yet either.  I don't plan to post any images since you'd need a lot of comparison shots to get a meaningful overview, and then there's the problem of color accuracy of monitors as well as compromises of web optimized jpeg.  There's also the problem that I don't have infinite time or server space.
The color accuracy and "vibrancy" of D2X has already been much commented on.  The perfect clouds (in pure sky shots) with no magenta cast really blew me away.  Every picture of direct comparison things so far leaves the D2X looking better to me color wise.  However, a few PS tweaks is enough to bring the 1ds images in line, except in the case of magenta clouds.  The best way I can describe the difference I've observed between 1ds and D2X images is that D2X tends to be like a typical 1ds image after you've done optimal curves for more pop and vibrancy.  Pre is sort of like looking through a layer of haze or smog and post is like suddenly everything is clearer.  Nikon claims they're doing something a bit revolutionary with their sensor and in camera processing and maybe that's true and maybe you get something real for those twice as large files.  It certainly looks like it and it's absolutely obvious you're getting something real with those incredible small image circle lenses, whether it's Nikon or the best models of Tamron or Sigma.  At any rate, I'm already powerfully impressed. 

I don't intend to do exhaustive testing of the D2X and all 3 new lenses.  I've done SO much careful pixel peeping at 100% in the process of editing thousands of 1ds images done with all my lenses, that I now have a very good feel for what an image should look like at 100%.  The excellent quality of that 24x36 print that Jonathan made for me corroborates my conviction that if it looks reasonably sharp at 100% it will print great.  I'll know soon enough how well the D2X compares in real life.  The color situation is already quite obvious enough.

jdemott

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 11:51:49 am »

didger,  

I know nothing about OSX and Macs.  However, at least on the Windows side, version 4.2 of NC was the version that added support for D2X--I don't think that 4.1 will do the job.  Version 4.2.1 was introduced almost immediately after 4.2 in order to fix some of the worst problems (although it sounds like they didn't fix some Mac installation issues).  Have you tried Nikon tech support on your installation issue?

If you want a temporary, partial solution, you could install Nikon View 6.5 which should put a Nikon plug-in file in Photoshop.  The plug-in will allow you to open D2X NEF files directly into Photoshop with adjustments to WB and exposure, but nothing else.  Its pretty primitive, but it will give you the same conversion algorithms (I think) as you would have in NC, so at least you would be starting with a quality conversion and you would be able to work with your NEF files until you get the NC installation problem sorted out.
John DeMott
Pages: [1]   Go Up