Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum scanner?  (Read 5640 times)

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Drum scanner?
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:38:05 pm »

I have just lost my ability to use a university scan lab and simultaneously have discovered that Coolscan Vs have been discontinued and the prices on 5000s jacked up to over £1000.  I am now considering a second hand drum scanner.  Would a Fuji/Crosfield Celsis 6250 be suitable?  

I have never used a drum scanner before - can anyone recommend a site or books that would help as I understand this to be a particularly steep learning curve.

Many thanks

charly

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Drum scanner?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 07:57:19 pm »

Quote from: situgrrl
I have just lost my ability to use a university scan lab and simultaneously have discovered that Coolscan Vs have been discontinued and the prices on 5000s jacked up to over £1000.  I am now considering a second hand drum scanner.  Would a Fuji/Crosfield Celsis 6250 be suitable?  

I have never used a drum scanner before - can anyone recommend a site or books that would help as I understand this to be a particularly steep learning curve.

Many thanks

charly

I have heard it said that Epson's V750-M Pro flatbed is the equal of a drum scanner, and there's a V900 in the works.  You might want to look into these.

Peter

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Drum scanner?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:58:06 am »

Quote from: situgrrl
Would a Fuji/Crosfield Celsis 6250 be suitable?  I have never used a drum scanner before - can anyone recommend a site or books that would help as I understand this to be a particularly steep learning curve.
Charly,

I've used several different scanners, from flatbeds to Imacons to drum scanners. With good working knowledge, a drum scanner provides the best results, especially from transparencies. There are many advantages to a drum scanner, but the two biggest are 1) a smoother, wider range of exposure latitude and 2) no fixed input dpi resolution when working in different film formats.

As for what brand is suitable, I recommend any scanner that provides 16-bit RGB images. Some brands of scanners, including some Crosfields, only output CMYK files because they were designed only for pre-press use. Fuji may have changed that feature, but when I used a Crosfield years ago it output only CMYK files (8-bit, too).

At present, only two companies provide new scanners and keep their software current: ICG and Aztek. I suggest you look up ICG since they're headquarters are on your island. They make wonderful scanners and software. I also highly recommend this Yahoo groups forum. Any questions you post on the Yahoo Group will be answered by many people, all of whom own and operate drum scanners of all different brands.

~ CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up