Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Cutter Not Working  (Read 4419 times)

monkeybusinessimages

Z3100 Cutter Not Working
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:32:58 am »

Hi

I have owned a Z3100 for about a year now and has been completely hassle free, until now.

The cutter has stopped working completely, even on really thin paper. I know the printer doesn't cut media such as canvas. But it has now stopped cutting anything.

All the settings says the cutter is switched on. I did a firmware upgrade not long ago. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 Cutter Not Working
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:12:56 am »

Quote from: monkeybusinessimages
Hi

I have owned a Z3100 for about a year now and has been completely hassle free, until now.

The cutter has stopped working completely, even on really thin paper. I know the printer doesn't cut media such as canvas. But it has now stopped cutting anything.

All the settings says the cutter is switched on. I did a firmware upgrade not long ago. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

The printer doesn't go into the cutting action at all or it does the action but the paper isn't cut ?

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

monkeybusinessimages

Z3100 Cutter Not Working
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:29:42 am »

I think the unit goes across as if it is going to cut but doesn't actually do it.

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 Cutter Not Working
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:04:39 am »

I think the unit goes across as if it is going to cut but doesn't actually do it.

Let it perform a cut from the printer panel.
Load a sheet wider than a feet, call it a roll on the panel, when accepted push the cut button on the panel.
If it actually does the cutting action the process is:
paper is advanced approx 4 inches
the head carriage collects the cutter carriage at the left side
hooks it up and makes the cutting stroke to the right
returns the cutter carriage to the left
goes back to the head capping station at right
paper is pulled back again.
If that doesn't result in a separated stroke of paper at the front of the printer then there is mechanical problem and you should open the left side of the printer to check the rotary knife etc. It can be pulled out.

However if it works you can do the above but call the paper roll again and gloss RC.
The normal gloss loading always will be followed by a cut action right away.

If that works I guess there must be something in the driver that blocks normal cutting.
Go to the printer preference setting and check whether disable auto-cutting is switched off.
It happens that normal driver settings do not stick and fall back to the default = printer preference.
Change it that auto-cutting is on.

Ernst Dinkla

Roscolo

Z3100 Cutter Not Working
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:53:10 pm »

Is there a blade in the cutter?

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Z3100 Cutter Not Working
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 02:56:01 am »

Quote from: Roscolo
Is there a blade in the cutter?

Yes it is easy to access and easy to change, as well as being relatively inexpensive.
In most conditions it wouldn't need to be replaced before a lot of use but if you've cut things accidently or on purpose like canvas or hard boards, it could become used quickly, but more importantly stresses the mechanics which are not made for this type of cut.

Roscolo

Z3100 Cutter Not Working
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 05:13:53 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
Yes it is easy to access and easy to change, as well as being relatively inexpensive.
In most conditions it wouldn't need to be replaced before a lot of use but if you've cut things accidently or on purpose like canvas or hard boards, it could become used quickly, but more importantly stresses the mechanics which are not made for this type of cut.

My question was more of a direct question for the OP. Has he checked to see if perhaps the blade is broken, or missing from the cutter mechanism? Maybe all he needs to do is install a fresh blade.

monkeybusinessimages

Z3100 Cutter Not Working
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 07:57:59 am »

Thanks for your replies.

I followed the steps above. The printer has a roll of HP Professional Satin Photo Paper Loaded.

I opened up the side and it looked as if the cutter had slightly come away from the guide on the rail. I re aligned the cutter, hit form feed and cut. The cutter came across and cut it but when it got to the other end of the printer i heard a loud clunk, then got an 86:01 error. This error is to do with the carriage i think.

I did it again and watch the carriage come across and it looks like it doesnt catch onto the cutter, when it does it makes a loud clunk.

Any help would be great

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 Cutter Not Working
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 03:55:52 am »

Thanks for your replies.

I followed the steps above. The printer has a roll of HP Professional Satin Photo Paper Loaded.

I opened up the side and it looked as if the cutter had slightly come away from the guide on the rail. I re aligned the cutter, hit form feed and cut. The cutter came across and cut it but when it got to the other end of the printer i heard a loud clunk, then got an 86:01 error. This error is to do with the carriage i think.

I did it again and watch the carriage come across and it looks like it doesnt catch onto the cutter, when it does it makes a loud clunk.

Any help would be great

Sound like a serviceman problem meanwhile but:

Did you pull out the cutter from the left side and checked whether there are cracks in the construction, wheels loose/disaligned, cutterblade cracked etc. A new assembly can be ordered. Also check whether there is an obstacle at the end of the guide rail to the right where you heard the clunk. There could be something in or on that rail, part of the rotary knife carriage or something else that shouldn't be there and makes the knife carriage derail. A screw that protrudes, whatever ...

Ernst Dinkla

Pages: [1]   Go Up