Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Economical A3/A3+ printer?  (Read 2044 times)

lattiboy

Economical A3/A3+ printer?
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:19:22 am »

So, I recently purchased a Sony A900 and am looking for a larger format printer to actually take advantage of it. I've had some 24x36 prints done by Mpix.com and Camera's West here in Seattle, but I'd like to have more control over the print process on sizes in the middle (13x19, 11x17).

I've been reading a bit about larger format printers (I currently have a Canon MP800), but am running into a lot of conflicting opinions as to the quality and economy of them. I see the Epson 1400 is pretty well regarded for it's quality/cost factor, but it is sometimes accused of "drinking ink" and needing constant nozzle cleaning. I love the build and ease of use of my Canon, but I'm looking to spend the least amount of money possible on this (probably will only sell enough pics to pay for ink/hardware) and any comparable A3/A3+ printers run about 2-5x as much as the Epson.

So, I guess my question is can you all tell me about actual ink cost (including viable alternative/3rd party refill schemes) and/or offer up a good alternative to this printer in the price range (under $300-400)?

Newegg.com has a recertified 1400 for $160 shipped:

Link to sale

tomm101

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 03:48:49 pm »

The initial price of the printer does not make an economical printer, expendables such as ink is where you end up spending your money. A 17 inch Epson 3800 will cost 1/2 as much in operation as a 1400 or 1900. If you can spend the cash you will be better off, you may not want to print 16x20 but if the option is there.... Anyway you can always print smaller.

Tom

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:08:58 am »

Quote from: tomm101
The initial price of the printer does not make an economical printer, expendables such as ink is where you end up spending your money.
Ditto! Consider also that a 3800 is shipped with 80ml cartridges, so its price should be compared with the R1400 AND 5 full sets of cartridges (around 500$)...

Otherwise, you may install a CIS with 3rd party ink in your printer - I use an InkJetFly one in my R1800 and that cuts ink prices by 10 (yes, ten).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up