Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography vs. Nerdography.  (Read 12484 times)

ranjans

Photography vs. Nerdography.
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 09:48:48 pm »

Quote from: Nick Rains
This is where Bridge and LR fail as browsers, they insist on generating accurate thumbs from RAW files which takes time. That's fine if that's what you want or need but if you want to see your shots, check for sharpness and tag keepers as fast as possible then then LR and Br are simply too slow.

May be LR should offer a "Browse" mode just for this task it will make life easy for many. I still use Breezebrowser for that purpose, fastest of all bcoz it uses Canon SDK.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 03:57:26 am »

Quote from: David Anderson
Checking for sharpness is my first priority and it takes WAY too long in bridge,
CS4 is fast, even if not using embedded previews.

I find the grading and final processing is fast enough in Bridge, but loose a lot of time editing.
Learn to properly use what you have already have, before wasting time on an unnecessary programme

Nick, thanks again for the insights and links for PM -
Shame the insights were innacurate!
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Pete Ferling

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 09:56:21 pm »

In a busy studio I cannot live without LR.  I shoot several products on any given day, tethered to my PC, and have any one of several marketing managers in the room with me.  I am constantly going from capture to edit until I hit the shot that works for them.  Using Bridge and PS combination would cost me a penalty in time and productivity.  I could care less about minute issues with noise or pixel peeping priorities.  In regards to database and file management.  I work with two LR databases.  That is, I open a fresh database just for the current project (it's lightning fast that way).  Once done, I dump the rejects and import the keepers to a master LR database.  I then upload the same keepers to our server based cumulus DAM, which plays well with DNGs and uses the same keywords.  It's then up to the designers down south and in Europe that pull them down, and they use the Bridge/PS combination.  They absolutely love it.  That is, they can tweak the negative to their own result via ACR, and with me using LR, I can literally have the job shot and uploaded within the hour.

Right tool for the job.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 11:38:26 pm »

Oddly enough someone told me today how better much Br was for tethered shooting over LR - mainly as you didn't have to wait for LR to move images from a watched folder into the programme.
Right tool for the job for him.
Plus you do not need PS if using Bridge. BR is fundamentally LR without the Database.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:02:47 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 05:17:01 am »

Quote from: jjj
Shame the insights were innacurate!

I'm afraid you are mistaken, PM has always been, and remains,  the fastest browser going, and nothing has changed. Sure, CS4 Bridge is much more nimble that it used to be but it still cannot keep up with the immediacy of PM. I am fully aware of, and understand, Bridge's capabilities thanks, and PM remains the most useful tools for the task for which the OP specified.

Q: Have you actually tried to browse a nice big fat folder with both programs? To make sure I'm certain of my facts I just did that and on a folder of about 100 D3 NEFs Bridge takes about 5-6 secs to show the first image at 100%, and 3-4 secs for each image thereafter - and that's using embedded previews. PM is more like 1 sec per image, at 100%.

QED.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Pete Ferling

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 12:02:33 pm »

Quote from: jjj
Oddly enough someone told me today how better much Br was for tethered shooting over LR - mainly as you didn't have to wait for LR to move images from a watched folder into the programme.
Right tool for the job for him.
Plus you do not need PS if using Bridge. BR is fundamentally LR without the Database.

Yes, however, note that I often go from capture to edit while the client is present.   Believe me, I tried the BR/PS combination.  Cumbersome and sluggish.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up