Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G10 color space  (Read 4668 times)

jacland

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • Jacek Łuc Landscape Photography
Canon G10 color space
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »

What are Your advices about managing color using G10 and LR?
Canon uses sRGB space and Lightroom ProPhoto RGB.
Logged

MBehrens

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
Canon G10 color space
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:08:05 PM »

Let's see where to start.

Lightroom is a raw processor at heart. You can import and adjust JPG images but their colorspace will not be altered.

G10 can record either RAW (CR2) or processed JPG files, or both. To get the most out of your G10 with LR - shoot RAW... maybe.

RAW files have no colorspace, the image files created from a RAW file will have a colorspace applied. The JPGs from the G10 may be sRGB ( I have a G10 and I don't know, I always shoot RAW)

The ProPhoto Working Colorspace of LR isn't a concern, its simply elbow room to work in. To create an image file from the RAW file and the LR adjustments/processsing, the image must be exported from LR. The export process will ask you to determine the image colorspace to be applied. Depending on the ultimate destination for the image, choose appropriately.

Now back to the ... Maybe. If your G10 is a point and shoot JPG camera that you want to simply off load images and send around to your friends then LR is probably overkill. If you are a RAW (or a serious JPG) shooter and want to learn the idiosyncrasies of the digital imaging world and all of the color management possibilities and frustrations, LR may be for you.

You may want to try these questions in the beginners section, or at least the LR section, of the forum. You've stumbled on to a very high end forum (I'm typically a lurker here grasping what I can from these folks) and these questions will a lot of times go unanswered.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:09:05 PM by MBehrens »
Logged

Paul Sumi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1217
Canon G10 color space
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:25:39 AM »

For me, the real benefit to using Lightroom would be to work with RAW files, not JPGs.  If you're shooting primarily JPGs with your G10, you might be better served by using a basic app like PhotoShop Elements (which also has RAW capability).

In my case I shoot RAW with my G10 and primarily use Phase One's Capture One 4.6x to process.  I then post-process in PhotoShop CS3.  I've also converted G10 RAWs using Adobe's DNG converter.  It's a personal preference but I like C1.

Best,

Paul
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 12:27:44 AM by PaulS »
Logged

jacland

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • Jacek Łuc Landscape Photography
Canon G10 color space
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 02:27:53 AM »

Quote from: MBehrens
Let's see where to start.

Lightroom is a raw processor at heart. You can import and adjust JPG images but their colorspace will not be altered.

G10 can record either RAW (CR2) or processed JPG files, or both. To get the most out of your G10 with LR - shoot RAW... maybe.

RAW files have no colorspace, the image files created from a RAW file will have a colorspace applied. The JPGs from the G10 may be sRGB ( I have a G10 and I don't know, I always shoot RAW)

The ProPhoto Working Colorspace of LR isn't a concern, its simply elbow room to work in. To create an image file from the RAW file and the LR adjustments/processsing, the image must be exported from LR. The export process will ask you to determine the image colorspace to be applied. Depending on the ultimate destination for the image, choose appropriately.

Now back to the ... Maybe. If your G10 is a point and shoot JPG camera that you want to simply off load images and send around to your friends then LR is probably overkill. If you are a RAW (or a serious JPG) shooter and want to learn the idiosyncrasies of the digital imaging world and all of the color management possibilities and frustrations, LR may be for you.

You may want to try these questions in the beginners section, or at least the LR section, of the forum. You've stumbled on to a very high end forum (I'm typically a lurker here grasping what I can from these folks) and these questions will a lot of times go unanswered.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot!
Your explanation is clear and helped me. BTW, I shoot RAW only.
Logged

jacland

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • Jacek Łuc Landscape Photography
Canon G10 color space
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 02:29:48 AM »

Quote from: PaulS
For me, the real benefit to using Lightroom would be to work with RAW files, not JPGs.  If you're shooting primarily JPGs with your G10, you might be better served by using a basic app like PhotoShop Elements (which also has RAW capability).

In my case I shoot RAW with my G10 and primarily use Phase One's Capture One 4.6x to process.  I then post-process in PhotoShop CS3.  I've also converted G10 RAWs using Adobe's DNG converter.  It's a personal preference but I like C1.

Best,

Paul

I shoot RAW and use LR. Thanks!
Logged

jjlphoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 467
Canon G10 color space
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:17:45 AM »

Quote from: jacland
What are Your advices about managing color using G10 and LR?
Canon uses sRGB space and Lightroom ProPhoto RGB.


Canon DPP does 'use' sRGB.

In DPP v3.4.1.1, you can set your RGB working space to sRGB, AdobeRGB, ColorMatchRGB, AppleRGB or WideGamutRGB.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:18:31 AM by jjlphoto »
Logged
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP
Pages: [1]   Go Up