Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: N00B with Canon EOS 5D Mark II  (Read 4240 times)

CanonKid

• http://s439.photobucket.com/albums/qq114/CanonKid/
N00B with Canon EOS 5D Mark II
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:25:53 pm »

Well I will start off by saying hello to everyone here on this forum. It looks like a good one.

A member in my family passed away  and as I was going through things I found a new Canon EOS 5D Mark II with a 24-105mm lens. Anyways, I'm in posession of an extremely nice camera and I'd like to learn how to use it.

I think I have a HUGE learning curve ahead of me and I need all the help I can get. So anybody have any recommendations for me?

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »

Quote from: CanonKid
Well I will start off by saying hello to everyone here on this forum. It looks like a good one.

A member in my family passed away  and as I was going through things I found a new Canon EOS 5D Mark II with a 24-105mm lens. Anyways, I'm in posession of an extremely nice camera and I'd like to learn how to use it.

I think I have a HUGE learning curve ahead of me and I need all the help I can get. So anybody have any recommendations for me?

If you have the manual, I would study that slowly and try some of the things you learn from it using the camera until you are familiar with the basics of the camera first.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 03:13:18 pm »

You dont have a huge curve, cameras only do these things: set aperture, shutter speed, focus position, ISO and colour balance and file size recorded - all the other settings are just cloaking those simple variables which you should be able to read up on on WIKI or some other place

Put the camera on manual (M), learn to adjust the shutter speed and aperture and ISO

take pictures and look at them on the screen on the back of the camera AFTER EVERY FRAME

fiddle with the the four settings shutter aperture and ISO and focus position until the pictures look like how you want them to look, try to acheive your look using the lowest ISO you can

set the camera to shoot RAW and JPEG at the biggest size, make the jpgs look good on the back of the camera and store the raws on your Hard Drive until you have time to work out how to get the best from them

-----
Hints on fiddling with those settings

Long shutter speeds let in a lot of light but  risk 'camera shake'

You will need short shutter speed to freeze stuff that is moving (1/500)

Small apertures (f16/22) let little light in which can demand a long shutter speed

HIGH ISOs like 3200 make the chip sensitive to light allowing short shutter speeds but risk making the image grainy

Big apertures mean not a lot is in focus - which can look nice for portraits but not for landscapes

Focus should be set so that your subject is the thing most in focus

Oh you just got the best video camera on the planet for its price too - shooting video is about keeping the camera STILL or smoothy moving it

SMM
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:15:46 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

button

• http://
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:17:18 pm »

I think you'll figure out the technical stuff pretty quickly- just read, read, read, then shoot, shoot, shoot.  Push buttons.  Changes settings.  See what happens.  To me, the learning curve is all about HOW, WHEN, and WHY to shoot- composition, timing, color, etc.  I don't think anyone ever fully masters these elements.  For what it's worth, here's my down and dirty "quick start manual" for photography:

1) Aperture, or f-stop- The bigger the number, the smaller the lens hole, and the less light that gets in.  Increasing f-stop (raising the number) results in longer shutter speeds required to create an exposure.  It also increases depth of field, or how much of something is "acceptably" in focus, both in front of and behind the point of focus.  Super down and dirty: shoot low numbers for portraits to create background blur, and high numbers for landscapes to get as much in focus as possible.  Av mode allows you to choose aperture, and the camera will calculate the required shutter speed for you at any ISO.  

2)  Shutter speed, measured in fractions of a second-  The faster the speed, the less a shot is susceptible to motion blur.  However, you may want motion blur, depending on effect.  Tv mode allows you to set the shutter speed, and the camera will calculate the aperture for you at any ISO.

3)  ISO- ranging from 50 to 25600 on a Canon 5d2- The higher the number, the greater the sensitivity of the sensor.  Practically, this means that at any given aperture, increasing the ISO will reduce the exposure time (shutter speed) required for an exposure.  Or, for any given shutter speed, the f-stop will go up (smaller hole, less light).  Increasing ISO increases sensor gain, and decreases signal to noise ratio.  Practically, this means that higher ISO shots have more noise (analagous to film grain).

4)  Perspective- This is a big one.  It all comes down to the distance of the camera to the subject.  The closer the camera is, the more front to back stretching you will see, and the farther it is away, the more front to back compression you will see.  The lens doesn't create this effect.  It just so happens that wide angle lenses allow you to get closer to a subject, and telephoto lenses allow you to shoot things that are far away.  Here's a neat trick:  take your camera with the 24-105 on it and focus on a subject about 15 feet away, zoomed in to 105mm.  Now, walk toward that subject while simultaneously reverse zooming (twist the ring toward 24mm) and watch what happens.  You've seen this effect in movies before, I'll bet, such as "The Shining".

If I've messed this up, someone please respond.  

John

fototrotter

• http://www.fototrotter.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 12:56:51 pm »

My suggestion: take it step by step,...

*Start to read the manual, get comfortable with the buttons that are on your camera... try to find the basic settings/controls (aperture, iso, shutter speed)

*Try to understand (theoretically) what these things do to a picture, this link might help: http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=45

*Go out in the garden (don’t mess with flash inside, it will mess up the effect) sit down or position the camera in front of a random object/subject preferably one with a lot of detail/depth/structure/color and start with taking one picture in automatic (green square) mode and see what settings the camera used to make this picture. Switch to manual (M) mode and enter the settings from your first picture... Now go on and make series of pictures, with every picture you adjust one setting a little and see what it does, take at least 5 (even 10+ when possible) steps up and same thing for steps down from your original setting...
Start with aperture 10 steps up, 10 steps down and return to original settings, repeat the same for shutter speed and iso.
And see what effect these changes have on your picture... evaluate immediately on the camera screen and re-evaluate the whole bunch of pictures on the computer afterwards.
Don't forget to read the camera settings with every picture when evaluating (you can find these in the exif information, included in the caption)

*If you feel more or less comfortable with these settings and have an idea of what they do try to get a notion or understanding of “depth of field” (D.O.F.):
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-...h-of-field.html
Get back to your garden and experiment yourself,... with changing two settings at once: aperture and shutter speed... Get your original settings and move to a bigger aperture number (eg 4->5.6) and also adjust shutter speed to a slower one (eg 125->100) (NOTE: canon only indicates 125 but means 1/125th of a second, so 100 means 1/100th of a second= slower, canon adds “if you’re working with full seconds).
Normally moving the aperture number up one step and the shutter speed number (125->100) down one step, you should get a picture with similar brightness/contrast as the original one.
Make a first series with your lens at 24mm, make a second series with your lens set at 105mm,...
What you will see changing is your depth of field, or the area/circle which is in focus.
Evaluate your series again with keeping a close eye on the settings you entered for that particular picture.

*Once you get these things more or less going you can go out and about to a local park, lake, mountain and get yourself to shoot pictures... look for possible subjects (trees, rocks, road signs, cows,...) and predetermine what area of your picture you want sharp and how much you like to be in/out of focus... Try the camera settings until you have the D.O.F. as you wanted it... try to reason/predict with every adjustment you make and see what comes out of it... Repeat at will with a 1000 different subjects J

*And after all that,... A nice composition makes a picture that much more interesting,... Here’s some basic tips:
http://www.dptutorial.com/photography-tips-for-beginners

*Now it’s up to you to create your own style and let your imagination and creativity fire at will...

*And start to learn how to work with Adobe’s lightroom , cameraRAW, photoshop software or Mac’s aperture software or... One hint stay away from canons DPP software and go straight for lightroom or other equivalent.

Good luck!

Steven
Learning amateur with a canon 7D, 400D. Portfolio at http://www.fototrotter.com

CanonKid

• http://s439.photobucket.com/albums/qq114/CanonKid/
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 03:24:51 pm »

You folks give a lot of good info. I've spent the last couple days reading up on the camera and shooting with it. I have gotten a couple good shots of sunsets and stuff like that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up