Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 hierarchy of what controls color management  (Read 2401 times)

TJM

z3100 hierarchy of what controls color management
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:06:57 pm »

Hopefully I know enough about this machine to explain my question.  I have a z3100ps and am printing with PS Cs3.  What I can't figure out is what place that you can change the settings for printing takes priority for adjusting settings.  For instance If I want to change so that the PS manages color, there are settings in PS, in the print driver, in the print utility, and on the printer.  I once thought that what was on the printer took precedence, but I realized that I had been doing color prints, while the screen on the printer said it was in greyscale.  It feels a little convoluted.  I appreciate any help.

Maybe on another note, is there any kind of training a guy can take on printing.  I researched like crazy before I bought this thing, and thought I had a pretty good handle on the process, but now I just think I iron out the wrinkles, and then another issue pops up.  

Thanks Guys,

TJ

EvoM

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 01:10:50 am »

Quote from: TJM
Hopefully I know enough about this machine to explain my question.  I have a z3100ps and am printing with PS Cs3.  What I can't figure out is what place that you can change the settings for printing takes priority for adjusting settings.  For instance If I want to change so that the PS manages color, there are settings in PS, in the print driver, in the print utility, and on the printer.  I once thought that what was on the printer took precedence, but I realized that I had been doing color prints, while the screen on the printer said it was in greyscale.  It feels a little convoluted.  I appreciate any help.

Maybe on another note, is there any kind of training a guy can take on printing.  I researched like crazy before I bought this thing, and thought I had a pretty good handle on the process, but now I just think I iron out the wrinkles, and then another issue pops up.  

Thanks Guys,

TJ
Hi TJ, The 2 broad areas printing out of CS3 Photoshop are; (1) Photoshop manages colours (2) Printer manages colours, so when you go to print the 1st dialogue box has these 2 choices via a drop down.
I think most people would choose Photoshop manages colours and then choose the rendering intent, Perceptual etc. However, there's a lot more to it so.....
Think about downloading the Printing tutes available from this site as they would be a great benefit to you and will go in great detail explaining all the various choices and also how best to "softproof'.

Evo

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 03:40:36 am »

Thanks Guys,

TJ

The default of the driver is to let the driver manage color control. That's a decision in view of the applications you could print from that do not have color management. A minority meanwhile but nevertheless. As the driver has a habit to jump back to its defaults it is wiser to change the default, That can be done (more or less) (Windows example) by going to Start>Control>Printers>Printing Preferences, set there: Color Printing and Application Managed Colors plus your most often used paper settings + auto for roll/sheet recognition. Save that as a Printing Shortcut and press OK to make it the Printing Preference. That way the right CM  settings will pop up the next time when you go to the driver from your application.

In the application you print from you set Application Color Management or whatever phrasing is used for that setting. The paper profiles are used in the application you print from.

More Printing Shortcuts can be created but that can be done in the driver itself, it is wiser to keep one default setting that has the color management settled correctly.

It is different for the advanced B&W printing mode (if HP's recommendation is followed) but that is another story.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 04:40:08 am »

Thanks Guys,

TJ
For training yes there is, often presented by HP in different localisations. In the US David Saffir takes care of it city by city. In Europe there is a road show by Magnum photographers but I don't know that they are showing how to use it.
If you want to come to Paris I'll show you.

As said below, in Photoshop there are two options, Printer manages color or Photoshop manages color. No color management is mostly just for printing charts which you don't need for a Z.

In the Printer properties (you're on a PC I assume) you need to make sure the appropriate color management selection is engaged. Why do I say that?

Well in PS CS3 and 4 they should be sending the driver the right presumed switch for color management. So if you selected Photoshop manages... in the Photoshop  print window, then the driver picks it up knowing it is application managed color, and not printer manages. BUT verify!

The Printer Utility is strictly for managing the associated and created profiles and media presets for PRinter managed color, not Photoshop.

I really suggest using Photoshop manages color, always with the exception being known Adobe rgb or sRGB batch printing from source unedited images.

On my site I have some pages on printing with HP and ICC which should still be close enough, although mostly off a MAc.
I even have some movies on my .mac site on this.

TJM

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 06:53:22 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
On my site I have some pages on printing with HP and ICC which should still be close enough, although mostly off a MAc.
I even have some movies on my .mac site on this.
 I am working off a Mac.  What is your .mac site?

Thanks everyone for the good feedback.

TJ

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 01:36:17 am »

I am working off a Mac.  What is your .mac site?

Thanks everyone for the good feedback.

TJ

It's in the links at the bottom of my reviews and in the color management pages. My name (no caps) with an underscore between first and last name @ mac.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up