Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM  (Read 16292 times)

harlemshooter

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« on: January 31, 2009, 05:27:47 pm »

has anyone use this lens and if so how do you like it?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:35:35 am by harlemshooter »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:37:53 pm »

Quote from: harlemshooter
1.  is it worth the high price tag?
2.  are there other prime lenses you like better?
3.  is it better than zeiss prime ze series?

thanks.

See this thread here: Canon Wide Lens's

I have ordered the new 24m F1.4L MK2 - will post some impressions when it arrives and I get a chance to do some shooting with it.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Paul Kay

• http://
canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 06:58:15 am »

3.  is it better than zeiss prime ze series?

I'm still using the MkI - it is by far my most used wide-angle, and I use it wide-open an awful lot. But to answer your qusetions:

1. Depends on whether you need such a fast wide-angle. Given that (I assume) the MkI will be discontinued, then if you do, it must be!
2. No, nothing else is so wide or so fast for Canon. At some point I will look at, and if I like it, I will buy the MkII - whether I do will purely depend on its wide open performance.
3. As far as I am aware Zeiss don't make a 24/1.4 so they make nothing comparable.

If you are talking about performance levels at other apertures, then I'd suggest that there are an awful lot of options depending on whether distortion is a big deal or not and at what apertures you need it to perform.

Aravind

• http://www.akimagery.com
canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:15:42 am »

Received this lens a few days ago.  So far I'm very impressed with this lens.  I owned and shot with the 24L Mk1 for about a year.  The new lens is sharper at f/1.4 and has significantly less CA than the older one.  It does however have pronounced vignetting at large apertures.  I'm really liking the 'look' of the files I get from this lens, requires little to no post processing.  

1. Is it worth the high price tag?  Thats a matter of personal perspective.  It is to me.  It may not to others

2.  Other primes at 24mm that I like better?  Nope.  Other primes in general?  Sure there are others I like better but because their focal lengths suit a particular type of subject.  

3.  Haven't shot with the Zeiss ZE prime.  I don't have much interest in the Zeiss mostly because it doesn't open up to f/1.4.  I see the two lenses as being targeted for different purposes.  If your intent is to stop a lens down to get maximum across the frame sharpness (for a landscape) one may be the better choice than the other.  My interest is in having a very fast wide angle and the 24L II fits the bill nicely.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 03:53:39 pm »

Just out of interest, what kind of shooting do you do with a 24mm at f1.4 ?

harlemshooter

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 07:17:26 pm »

Quote from: DaveDn

if you are asking me, i primarily would be using it for staged scenes under artificial light at f6-8.  i don't need it for 1.4, looking for excellent sharpness across entire plane.

DaveCurtis

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 08:41:04 pm »

if you are asking me, i primarily would be using it for staged scenes under artificial light at f6-8.  i don't need it for 1.4, looking for excellent sharpness across entire plane.

Thanks .. by the way if you go to this link: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews...FLI=0&API=7

You can compare the 24mm f1.4 MrkII to other canon lens and select f stop. To me it looks like the Mrk II is head and shoulders better than all other Canon 24mm lenses including zooms at that focal length.

Paul Kay

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 04:33:33 pm »

Quote from: DaveDn
And if you are asking me...allsorts! (Visited Dunedin in Feb - really enjoyed it!). Here's an example, but I shoot a lot of available light material at f/1.4.

[attachment=11341:D047386.jpg]

Paul Kay

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 05:31:05 pm »

I used my 24/1.4 MkI on a Canon 5dMkII today for the first time. Colour fringing is now evident so I can well understand why a MkII version of the lens is being produced. Even at f/8 the images show a lack of fine detail and much of what is there is fringed, not all of which I can sort in post processing. On the other hand the other lens I also used was an 80mm f/1.4 Summilux R which produced really fabulous detail at f/8.

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 08:10:53 am »

Absolutely LOVE the Mk II (on my old 5D). What a lens!

DaveCurtis

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 02:51:43 am »

Quote from: Paul Kay
And if you are asking me...allsorts! (Visited Dunedin in Feb - really enjoyed it!). Here's an example, but I shoot a lot of available light material at f/1.4.

[attachment=11341:D047386.jpg]

Nice shot Paul. Glade you enjoyed Dunedin. 34C here today which is rather hot when you are this close to the south Pole.

Josh-H

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 08:47:54 pm »

My 24mm F1.4L MK2 arrived today - very much looking forward to shooting with it this weekend. Will post some shots and impressions post shoot.

Initial thoughts - build quality - as good as an L lens and better than most. The focus ring is gorgeous, no slop or play whatsoever.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 10:14:33 pm »

Sample photographs now online here: LL Thread
Wild Nature Photo Travel

canlogic

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 11:23:18 am »

Anyone know about availability in US or Canada? Everywhere I check no one knows when they will have it.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

Daniel Browning

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 01:32:59 pm »

This lens sticks to my 5D2 90% of the time. I love it.

Objectively, and in comparison with its predecessor and the price of other Canon lenses, I'd have to say no. In other words, compared to other Canon lenses, I think it is overpriced. But for me personally, yes, it is worth it

Yes, but none of them are 24mm. No other 35mm lens in the world can give you ultra wide angle perspective and thin depth of field at the same time.
--Daniel

canlogic

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 08:21:10 am »

According to BH as of this morning the lens has been discontinued by Canon, and yes I checked that it was the mark II. Maybe they had too much trouble with them as almost none showed up in the retail chain. At least thats what they told me. Other places still list it but say back ordered and delivery unknown.

Josh-H

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 06:26:04 pm »

Quote from: canlogic
According to BH as of this morning the lens has been discontinued by Canon, and yes I checked that it was the mark II. Maybe they had too much trouble with them as almost none showed up in the retail chain. At least thats what they told me. Other places still list it but say back ordered and delivery unknown.

I dont think so - B&H still list it on their site. I would be awfully surprised if the MKII had been discontinued - the MKI - Yes.
B&H 24mm F1.4 MK II

There are lots of other retailers with stock and on line stores showing stock as well.

And still on Canon USA website here:
Canon USA
And on Canon Australia's website:
Canon Australia

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:34:30 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

telyt

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 06:56:07 pm »

Quote from: Daniel Browning
... No other 35mm lens in the world can give you ultra wide angle perspective and thin depth of field at the same time.

Unless you are using a Leica M camera.  The new 21mm and 24mm Summilux-M lenses will give you the wide perspective and the thin DOF of an f/1.4 lens.

canlogic

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 08:56:16 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
I dont think so - B&H still list it on their site. I would be awfully surprised if the MKII had been discontinued - the MKI - Yes.
B&H 24mm F1.4 MK II

This morning they listed it as discontinued when I questioned them they said it was the Mk II. After talking to Canon and emailing BH customer service they have changed it back to back ordered. Hopefully they will turn up in Canada soon.

Daniel Browning

canon 24mm 1.4L 2 USM
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 09:02:35 pm »

Quote from: telyt
Unless you are using a Leica M camera.  The new 21mm and 24mm Summilux-M lenses will give you the wide perspective and the thin DOF of an f/1.4 lens.

I thought about mentioning those, but since they're $5,000 and  no digital camera that can use them for their intended purpose, you might as well add the 14mm f/1.2 master prime to the list.
--Daniel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up