Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EOS D2-22mp  (Read 5419 times)

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
EOS D2-22mp
« on: September 16, 2004, 04:56:25 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Nikon F6 (combination of F5 and F100 with a price between the two) and the D2X look very nice.[/font]
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

Gary Ferguson

• http://
EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 03:26:55 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']
Yes, Phil Askey has signalled in pretty clear terms without breaking any NDA that the chasseur info is wrong

If Phil Askey has signed an NDA regarding a 1Ds replacement then hasn't he just broken it by effectively confirming there will be a 1Ds Mk II?

Surely the basic disclosure that an NDA seeks to prevent is that there is an imminent new model at all. Disclosure of which reduces sales of the current model and causes inventory problems for the manufacturer.[/font]

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 12:50:46 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']
Yah, but what does Phil know?!  

Michael
[/font]
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 05:41:59 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']
I have no idea what Canon may or may not be about to release, but ...16mp would make more sense commercially, in my view.  It would hand Canon the megapixel lead again (for what that is worth).

Quentin
Heck, my crystal ball was working after all  

Quentin[/font]
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

JEF

EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 06:54:11 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Just read on Home page web site of the French revue "chasseur d'images":
"CHUT... on ne vous
a rien dit !
• Canon annoncera, le 27, un nouveau reflex pro (EOS 2D /22 mpix) et des Ixus ultra plats (Ixus 40). "
Translate:Canon will announce, the 27 september a new Pro camera (EOS 2D/22mpix) and some extra thin Ixus (ixus 40)
www.photim.com
Enjoy !
Jeff
http://www.photim.com/Arrive/Sommaire.asp[/font]

meyerweb

EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 03:44:35 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I can't image fitting 22 MPix on anything less than a full frame sensor.  In fact, I seem to remember seeing a calculation that if you took the 20D's pixel density and mapped it to a full frame sensor you ended up with about 22-23 MP.[/font]

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 06:29:53 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Chasseur has a reasonably good track record regarding reliable info on unannounced products. 22MP would not be out of line with the degree of improvement between the 1D and 1D-MkII. Very interesting.[/font]

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 01:34:57 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Yes, Phil Askey has signalled in pretty clear terms without breaking any NDA that the chasseur info is wrong.  Just how wrong, we'll have to wait and see.

When I first read it, I thought it was an "official" leak to spoil Nikons D2X announcement.  

Quentin[/font]

Steve Kerman

EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 03:59:45 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']The name "EOS 2D" doesn't sound right, as Canon has long called all their top pro cameras "EOS 1<something>".  Larger numbers have been reserved for lesser cameras.  The bigger the number, the lesser the camera.

That makes me suspicious about this story.

On the other hand, I did make a post a couple weeks ago observing that a full-frame camera with 20D density would have just shy of 21 megapixels.

I guess we don't have long to wait to find out what's up.    :cool:[/font]

Scott_H

EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 06:54:01 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']
If Phil Askey has signed an NDA regarding a 1Ds replacement then hasn't he just broken it by effectively confirming there will be a 1Ds Mk II?

Phil Askey did not confirm there will be a 1Ds mk II, he alluded to the fact that there may not be a 22 megapixel dslr from Canon in the immediate future.[/font]
[url=http://scottsblog.my-expressions.co

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 10:55:38 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I have no idea what Canon may or may not be about to release, but I cannot see the logic of a 22mp replacement for the 1Ds.  It's too much of a leap, and it would leave too much of a gap to the 20D with its 8mp.  16mp would make more sense commercially, in my view.  It would hand Canon the megapixel lead again (for what that is worth).

Still, as I said, I have no idea, but I'd be astonished if a 1Ds replacement was not announced soon, whatever the spec.

Quentin[/font]

wynpotter

EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2004, 10:52:03 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']There may be another reason for different possible sensors information. Speed for say a 11-16mp sensor for higher speed sports/wildlife (1.3 crop) and a 16-22 mp for slower data transfer(bigger files) (There is a tech lag in the support chip area.)but higher rez for (ff) to dominate the fasion/med format comercial market. In Texas No Limit Hold'em it's called "All In"  Reasonable position for either/ both it seems. But since I have no chips to play, time will tell. Wyndham[/font]

jd1566

EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 07:28:46 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']So all we have to do is wait a little over a week for a peek at what FOV the sensor will have (if any).

Chasseur have caught another scoop![/font]
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

gmitchel

• http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com
EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 10:35:39 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Phil Askey has stated on his site that the information in Chasseur is false.

When people asked how he knew, his reaction was, "Duh!"

I'll defer to Phil's gesturing that rumors about a 2D with 22MP is not what we should expect for a 1Ds replacement.

If anyone has seen the replacement, my guess is that Phil is among that group.

Cheers,

Mitch[/font]

jd1566

EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 08:01:07 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Canon’s history of EOS models is a bit wobbly..  If we look at the film world for any analogy on how they rank their products, there was a time when an Eos3 existed, and was simply a cheaper version of a Eos 1V.  A 10 or 20D are not a cheaper version of the 1D/1DS/1DII  - they are akin to the Eos5, so a gap exists in their “inventory”.   Some might think the 1DII is a type of Eos3, but in actual fact Canon have split the professional market into two, whereas before in the film world it was one.
In any event, the Eos 2D could be a primer for testing technology for a major makeover of the Eos1DS, which is well due for an overhaul, so I think we can expect a slightly smaller layout, new type of battery (Li-ion?) etc…
I believe the Eos2D exists, perhaps not with 22mp nor with a full frame sensor but at least a 1.3 FOV.  If that is the case it will have to be slower than the 1DII and faster than the 20D (as far as RAW is concerned).  Perhaps Canon will also unveil the next range of DO lenses (eg 200-400 f4 IS DO which was leaked on a Canon web site about a year ago).[/font]
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

CrazyC

EOS D2-22mp
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2004, 02:27:58 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']
I cannot see the logic of a 22mp replacement for the 1Ds.  It's too much of a leap, and it would leave too much of a gap to the 20D with its 8mp.
Actually I don't think so. There already had been a gap between the 4MP 1D and the 11MP 1Ds.

Now they doubled the 1D's pixel count with the 1D MkII - so if they double the 1Ds's (these genitives are getting confusing  ) the relative difference will remain the same.

Doubling pixel count is not as noticable as it sounds, I don't think there would be a difference to be seen between 11 and 16MP, so they have to do some real increase - doubling ist just ok.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up