Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stolen camera & lenses  (Read 2544 times)

Philippe

Stolen camera & lenses
« on: January 31, 2009, 10:23:08 am »

STOLEN!

This Monday (26-01-'09), my Pentax K10D and four MF prime lenses were sent to the Pentax service-shop to take care for a focusing issue. The repairs-man wanted me to send along the lenses I use the most.
As De Beukelaer & Co, the Belgian Pentax agent, only want to work via a network of pro dealers, I had to hand over my gear to a shop who sells this brand of camera's.
On the moment the DPD (= parcel service) driver came in the shop to pick up the parcel, a lot of costumers ware waiting and his lorry was double parked in the street hindering the trolly bus blowing his horn. So, in the heat of the fight, the shop keeper forgot to put the regular sticker for the tracking system and address on the box. The DPD lorry driver, nervously, just picked up the box and left.
Needless to say that the parcel never arrived at Pentax.
Strangely enough, nobody saw this box again and all the sudden nobody knows what happen and nobody seems to be responsible for this magic disappearance!

If you the forum moderator does not mind, I post the serial numbers here :
Pentax K10D : 2227115 + D-BG1
    "     20 mm A F2.8 : 5860758
    "     35 mm A F2.8 : 5349537
    "     50 mm A F1.4 : 1091174
    "     50 mm A F2,8 MACRO : 586806

I feel sad about the loss of these fine lenses as I use them very often on my (analogue) LX camera body's too!
An other important thing is that the shopkeeper is a very good friend and I want to keep it like this!
As I do understand what happened, I do not know what to do...

Philippe

Rob C

Stolen camera & lenses
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 10:42:32 am »

In the circumstances, the DPD driver seems to be the last-known person to handle the equipment. I think your best bet would be to take the fight to the DPD company because the shopkeeper, your friend, will be able to testify that the stuff was handed to the employee of that DPD company so, having accepted it, it would become his responsibility and then later, at his depot, somebody elseĀ“s. But the chain of responsibility would go right on up until it stopped somewhere in the company and a cheque should then follow. Or a camera and lenses.

Perhaps a simplistic view, but the one from here.

Rob C

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
Stolen camera & lenses
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 09:08:01 pm »

Hi

Just a thought or two for you???

Firstly, I know you say that the shop owner is your friend and that you wish to keep his friendship but surely he is insured against losses of customers equipment whilst in his possession. Afterall it does not matter that he was busy, your equipment went missing while he had it and if he is your friend surely he would make the claim and get you reimbursed for the loss.

Secondly, the DPD driver cannot be implied to be the thief without proof.  Unlabeled parcels surely happen so DPD likely have a system???  Having said that perhaps the driver has "form" i.e. other parcels have gone missing form his route???

Edit - I take Rob C's point about the DPD chain of handling but as the shopkeeper failed to label it and as a result (assuming modern methods) the barcode was not scanned and no receipt given to the shopkeeper then there is no evidence usable in court or on a claim that the driver & DPD ever had it "in the system".  Having said that if the shop do high value yearly business with DPD then just maybe the shop & DPD can together give Phillipe some satisfaction - in other words both of them take responsibility for the loss???

I return to my first point, the shopkeeper made a mistake ~ if he is that good a friend he should be the one to make an insurance claim for your lost goods.

I hope you get satisfaction in some manner from this loss?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:13:20 pm by Box Brownie »
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Philippe

Stolen camera & lenses
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:18:56 am »

A miracle has happen, DPD made an inquiry and discovered the parcel in the lorry. The driver just kept it for a whole week in an big basket,  along with other 'undeliverable parcels', in the back of his lorry, waiting that soon or later he could deliver it somewhere, strange way of handling...
So everything is OK now.
Needless to say how lucky I was!

Philippe

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Stolen camera & lenses
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:07:23 am »

I'm so glad it worked out without having to ruin a friendship.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Stolen camera & lenses
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:41:12 pm »

How cool is that!!?

Its nice to hear a positive outcome, well, except for the focusing issue that was the kick off, so to speak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up