Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Luminous Landscape....history?  (Read 7287 times)

Bro.Luke

Luminous Landscape....history?
« on: January 31, 2009, 08:41:34 am »

Hi,

I ask if the best days of this forum are behind us? Look at the threads in the landscape forum here. In the past 2 weeks only a few posts...

I know I've been busy and don't feel 100% confident in my techniques .... well not like some of you at least so tend to read more than post but what's there to read any more?

Heck I asked for critique and got 2 replies that mentioned the structure of the site and really nothing about my photography...

Is there a reason to be here anymore?

Not trying to be a jerk just wondering what's up out there....

BL

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 10:32:22 am »

Quote from: Bro.Luke
Hi,

I ask if the best days of this forum are behind us? Look at the threads in the landscape forum here. In the past 2 weeks only a few posts...

I know I've been busy and don't feel 100% confident in my techniques .... well not like some of you at least so tend to read more than post but what's there to read any more?

Heck I asked for critique and got 2 replies that mentioned the structure of the site and really nothing about my photography...

Is there a reason to be here anymore?

Not trying to be a jerk just wondering what's up out there....

BL

Huh?    everyday I log in ther are three pages + of new posts  (under tab view new posts since last visit)
Just how much is enough?

I have found this a great site with plenty of content for my Nature/Landscape photography   I haven't found much else with similar focus

michael

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 10:47:26 am »

BL,

Maybe it's time for you to move on.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:48:01 am by michael »

framah

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:01:51 am »

This  coming from someone who has posted 23 times in 2 years.  

You get out of it what you put into it.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Bro.Luke

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 12:16:29 am »

Gosh! At least I got a response!

Let's see.....

Larry! Says: "Huh?    everyday I log in ther are three pages + of new posts  (under tab view new posts since last visit)
Just how much is enough?"
Sorry I mean the "Landscape and Nature Photography" and  I read it as since Jan 15th just a handful of posts. When I used to frequent more often this seemed to be the center of activity. Perhaps i should have made my post clearer.

Famah says ."This coming from someone who has posted 23 times in 2 years "
In a learning position such as I it's been said to take the cotton out of one's ears and put it in your mouth. I obviously don't have as much to contribute as others as I'm still learning.  

Michael I think your comments are uncalled for. I wasn't trying to make any problems and stated such. I see your a "super administrator" and I'd have hoped those in a position of authority could exhibit more restraint.

Frankly these sort of replies are...err...were, what separated LL from the rest of the pack.  Oh well.....

BL

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 01:48:58 am »

What was your goal in starting this thread?

stamper

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 04:05:49 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
What was your goal in starting this thread?

To have a debate about the direction the forum is going in with regards to landscape photography? Hopefully without getting flamed for doing so? Perfectly legitimate .... from my point of view. A while back someone started a similar thread and got short shrift.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 06:55:55 am »

On DPreview, a thread like this would be regarded as an obvious troll.  Please can we avoid such threads here?
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 01:52:59 pm »

Jeez.  I thought that this topic was one from a new user who, being so impressed with the quality of content here, wanted to know how it all started.  "History", right?  

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 01:57:33 pm »

Quote from: Peter McLennan
Jeez.  I thought that this topic was one from a new user who, being so impressed with the quality of content here, wanted to know how it all started.  "History", right?  
Honestly, I thought so too because I found MR's write up in Lenswork very interesting and I wanted to know more.

Michael - it was nice to read about you and your experiences, great interview.

Kind regards,
Derek

professorgb

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 12:02:39 pm »

I can't speak to the quantity of posts in the landscape and nature forum.  I do find that some old threads keep popping to the top of the forum, and that the forum recently hasn't been very active.  Nonetheless, back in November and December there were quite a few posts.

As to the lack of critiques of your recent work, you might think about what could cause disinterest in your thread.  You might have caught people when they're busy.  Interest in posting on Web sites might be cyclical, and you caught us at a point of low interest in posting--there is a LOT of bad stuff happening in the world that we should clearly pay attention to, rather than posting commentary on photos.  There are a lot of reasons why your thread wouldn't capture much attention.

But, since you would like comments on the work you've recently updated, I'll take a shot.  Most of the work is technically fine, being exposed properly and in focus.  But, I don't find the images very compelling.  The compositions seem to lack a point of interest.  You often have a lot of distracting elements that make it hard to understand what you were attempting to illustrate.  In the architectural images, some of your photos are unbalanced, having a lot of negative space to the left side of the image.  Others suffer from framing issues which involve cutting off parts of important elements in the image.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but these are my honest appraisals.  You need to think about your image and what it is trying to convey and then work on a perspective and composition that conveys the intended impression.  Otherwise, your photos won't garner as much interest as they could.

Wally

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 04:23:30 pm »

FWIW I visit a dozen or so photography related webforums each day (this being one of them) I skip right over pretty much any thread where someone posts "Check out my new web gallery" when the URL is on Flickr, Smugmug, etc. If I wanted to look at random images on such sites I would just go to said sites (and I do) and make any comments there.

I hope this does not come off as snobish (because that is not my intent) but I have two photography websites that I built from the ground up with their own dedicated domains, I would never dream of posting a thread on this site or any other asking people to check them out, and then turn around and complain that the site sucks because no one responded.

I also run/help run three web forums, one very large one (with thousands of members) and medium sized one (with around a thousand members) and one pretty small one with a few dozen members. All of them are like the oceans and have ebb and flow, busy times and slow times. If you are unhappy here simply find a place where you are happy

Alistair

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 04:35:15 pm »

Hi,

BL

You would have got a lot better response had you limited your request for critique to a maximum of 6 images . To invite critique on the whole gallery is an unreasonable imposition on people's time. Pick a few representative images, put them in one place, one click away and then ask for feedback. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Alistair

Bro.Luke

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 08:19:40 pm »

Quote from: professorgb
But, since you would like comments on the work you've recently updated, I'll take a shot.  Most of the work is technically fine, being exposed properly and in focus.  But, I don't find the images very compelling.  The compositions seem to lack a point of interest.  You often have a lot of distracting elements that make it hard to understand what you were attempting to illustrate.  In the architectural images, some of your photos are unbalanced, having a lot of negative space to the left side of the image.  Others suffer from framing issues which involve cutting off parts of important elements in the image.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but these are my honest appraisals.  You need to think about your image and what it is trying to convey and then work on a perspective and composition that conveys the intended impression.  Otherwise, your photos won't garner as much interest as they could.

Probably should have been put in the proper thread but thanks for trying.

My thoughts.
Thank you for the thumbs up on the technical points. Most are quick jpegs of print files which don't always work out.
What don't you find compelling? Subject matter? Execution? Could they be improved with a crop? Examples?
Which ones lack a point of interest?
What distracting elements do you refer to? I know I wrestled with some issues of telephone poles and power lines and the "option" to remove them but decided to leave them in. Same with an interloping branch. Would you have sought a better vantage point of used PS to clean up?
I'm not much of an architectural photographer not having access to a view camera or PC lens. I used the limitations of the small format to accentuate the lines and angles instead of trying to hide them. A San Xavier shot I actually corrected with PS perspective tools but liked the way the slight converging of line made the image sit on the ground better.

NO important parts of any images were cut off in ANY images unless Smugmug is presenting them wrong. Please show me which of these you find and I will comment further.

I suppose I should have stated my intentions up front. I'm in one of the more photographer part of the US and as a result a huge catalog of iconic images are before me. Few can elaborate on Jack Dykinga's Saguaro's with straight photography, for example. Arizona Hwy's has a 75 year catalog of very square inch of the state to boot. For a while I was content with saguaro portraits, Joshua Tree portraits, but was left with "what am I trying to say?" as you suggested. Definatly a work in progress.

So basically I'm working on a personal vision which redefines itself almost daily and striving for technical expertise along the way. As much as I disagree with your comments "content" (and you gave no examples so I'm still working in the dark), I wholehardedly agree that my technical has progressed in greater strides than my creative vision.

I appreciate your time in pausing to comment on my images. But I was taught to critque a little differently in college. For instance each of your comments could be followed up with an example illustrating your point and other that was stronger to what your saying.  Perhaps one of your own that hit the nail on the head.

But thanks for the time!

Bro.Luke

aka
Warren

Bro.Luke

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 08:21:23 pm »

Quote from: stamper
To have a debate about the direction the forum is going in with regards to landscape photography? Hopefully without getting flamed for doing so? Perfectly legitimate .... from my point of view. A while back someone started a similar thread and got short shrift.

Hey How did you guess? <G!>

BL
aka
Warren

Bro.Luke

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 08:28:10 pm »

Quote from: Wally
FWIW I visit a dozen or so photography related webforums each day (this being one of them) I skip right over pretty much any thread where someone posts "Check out my new web gallery" when the URL is on Flickr, Smugmug, etc. If I wanted to look at random images on such sites I would just go to said sites (and I do) and make any comments there.

I hope this does not come off as snobish (because that is not my intent) but I have two photography websites that I built from the ground up with their own dedicated domains, I would never dream of posting a thread on this site or any other asking people to check them out, and then turn around and complain that the site sucks because no one responded.

I also run/help run three web forums, one very large one (with thousands of members) and medium sized one (with around a thousand members) and one pretty small one with a few dozen members. All of them are like the oceans and have ebb and flow, busy times and slow times. If you are unhappy here simply find a place where you are happy

I guess this is true...I always assumed LL was of the magnitude of DPR where a dozen posts every minute the norm. Although for my money LL still has a more focussed and educational attitude...for the most part.

I just hope this one keeps rolling. Did you see Nikonians is now strictly for paying members? I don't see how that would work...

Good luck with you sites and yea only a fool would open himself up for critique then try to whine about afterwards. But in the past I have gotten some very pointed and useful feedback here. Folks even cropped my images and used examples that I followed through with. I don't think I've ever gotten a "I love your work" reply here and would tend to rely upon "amateur" sites if I wanted pats on the back.

Thanks,

BL
aka
Warren

(hey look at all the replies this one is getting!<G!>)
Pages: [1]   Go Up