Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple 24" LED CD, NEC, Eizo for Photography??  (Read 25334 times)

Hermie

Apple 24" LED CD, NEC, Eizo for Photography??
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 05:17:26 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
Nonsense! If anything, with the myriad of wider gamut displays and differing backlight illuminants (white LED), the idea that one colorimeter’s filter set is somehow ideal compared to a custom mated unit is silly talk. That's WHY NEC and others are mating custom sensors with their high end, integrated systems.

I agree with you Andrew, BUT:

There's more than one way to mate a colorimeter to a display.
- The use of custom filters (like the Artisan who's FILTERS were designed specifically for the fosfors used)
- Using calibration/correction matrices for a specific display either in the hardware (like NEC is doing with SVII-PRO-KIT) OR in the software (EIZO e.g.).

From a buyer's perspective I prefer the software approach, since it does not tie the use of a colorimeter to a specific display.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 10:46:42 pm »

Quote from: Jerboa
Thanks Wayne,
Thank you for sharing your first hand experience. Do you think the Apple 24" LED would be "passable" as your primary editing station?? I would also be using the i1Pro and ColorMatch with the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. May I ask how you like the results for printing b&w AND colour? I will be using the Epson 3800. Have you had success with other papers and this combination??

mmmm ... want me to go out on the limb a little here    

Let me answer it this way.  While the 24" is not my primary editing station, when I am using it I work on the image to completion and printing.   When I decide to work on an image at my office, I will complete the edits and output the final print on my Epson 7900 unless I need something larger than the 24" machine.  I still do more of this at my home than I do at the office, especially projects that require a lot of computer horsepower, where I print to my 11880.  But I don't check my final versions from my office on my home display.  So from a quality perspective I don't think the 24" loses anything to my 30" Apple Cinema Display.  In fact, the gloss screen seems to match the look of the papers I choose to use (Exhibition Fiber and Hahnemuhle FAB) ... to my eyes anyway.

I printed 2 24x30 portraits today from images of a very skilled studio photographer.  He does much of his own printing on Epson printers so the files were really good.  The  images looked terrific on my Apple 24" LED Cinema display, and matched the output from my 7900 on the FAB paper extremely well.  (Love it when the photographer knows what he's doing and uses good color management).  One was a terrific black and white of a girl wearing a black dress.  Detail of the black bow against the black dress was very subtle .. but screen matched the print very closely.

That aside, I do very little black and white work so this is about the extent of my experience with this particular monitor and black and white.

For me I'm happy.  Again, I've used a glossy powerbook for a long time (my new 15" MacBook Pro is my 4th MacBook with a glossy screen) and I prefer them over the matt screen, but that means I'm also used to dealing with reflections.

I've never used a really high end monitor ... perhaps "ignorance is bliss".  I do know I've been more than satisfied with the 30" ACD for what I do, and I don't regret trading it for the Apple 24" LED  display at the office.  One of these days I'll try an Eizo just to see what  I might be missing.

Jerboa

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 11:17:24 am »

Out on a limb indeed!

Seriously, thanks for your detailed reply. This is really helpful. I'll head-out to the Apple store this week and take a closer look.

Anyone else...please free to add your thoughts/considerations/experiences.

Jerb

mcmorrison

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 02:40:51 pm »

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for your detailed thoughts. I have a new 15" MBP with glossy screen. I observe rougher transitions and a bit of a red tint compared to my 20" iMac. I am contemplating the 24" gloss ACD, and wonder if you have seen any red tinting vs your 30" ACD? I understand the 24" gloss will not perform like an Eizo et. al. (and ought to do better than the MBP monitor!), but am hoping that it will provide reasonably smooth transitions, and good neutrality. . .

Thank you,

Michael Morrison

mcmorrison

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 07:53:40 pm »

Hello All,

I went down to the local Apple store with my Spyder3 and CEDPro on my MacBook Pro where they let me profile one of their 24" glossy monitors. On a variety of test images (Atkinson, Onsight, Digital Dog, etc.) plus a few of my own images. I found very clean neutrals and a reasonably smooth gray ramp both in terms of color and luminosity. I was able to compare to a 20" ACD right next to it. Unprofiled, I checked mostly for gray ramp smoothness. While it was smooth, the 24" LED was significantly smoother. Viewing angle on the 24" was very good. Under the lights at the store, the 24's mirror capabilities were excellent     . Between Wayne's report, my observation, and not being of Eizo stature (!), I bought it.

Josh l.

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 01:24:05 am »

I have an older mac book pro and I'm looking for a monitor to pair with it, I was thinking of buying the non led cinema displays, a few people have suggested the new dells as well. I dont have the money to spend on an eizo or nec, maybe once I get my mac pro, but for now I'm just looking for something middle of the road that'll represent color nicely and I need something bigger then this little laptop screen.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up