Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Hats off to you Epson 9900 owners...  (Read 5050 times)

mikev1

My Hats off to you Epson 9900 owners...
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:05:56 pm »

who managed to move it with only two people.  I took delivery of the beast yesterday and had to carry it with a friend about 100 feet.  Half way through a neighbour took pity on us and pitched in.  My friend was really struggling with it even with some help on his side.

It was a good work out that's for sure.

It felt like we were competing in one of those stupid strong man competitions you used to see on TV all the time.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:30:49 pm »

This concerns me. So whereas I can manhandle an HP 44" Z alone this is simply unthinkable?

Like sliding it across the floor in the carton?

mikev1

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:45:21 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
This concerns me. So whereas I can manhandle an HP 44" Z alone this is simply unthinkable?

Like sliding it across the floor in the carton?

The 9900 came on a pallet and the box merely sat on top of the pallet so there was no way to drag it.  If the HP comes total encased in a carton you should be able to push it around.

We moved it from the front of my house around back, down an embankment and into our house via the walkout basement.

Good times!

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:18:05 pm »

Any surface on which you could push it in a carton, you could wheel it on its stand.  It weighs 116kg including the stand, plus a little extra for packaging and inks etc - probably close to 125-130kg depending on what the pallet weighs.

If you really want to slide it on the floor/carpet/whatever then put down a large piece of cardboard under it and secure the cardboard to the pallet then you can slide it (potentially).

To lift it onto its stand I would recommend at least 3 people - 2 to lift and 1 to position the stand and guide.  An extra person to help lift from the centre would be ideal in my experience.  This presumes reasonably strong and physically fit people.

On the stand, it's simple for one person to wheel it around.
Phil Brown

neil snape

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 02:55:24 am »

Good to know. I have to push it up on it's end to fit in the elevator. It is already about 10 cm too high for the elevator door. I could leave the palette on the printer if the box / carton is not strong enough.
With the 44" Z, yes I tilted it up by myself and put a moving drape under it. It just cleared the door, also the door in the house and was fine on the tiled floor.
Hoping the Epson will work in this case too. I'd better foresee a second person though as it seems too risky to tilt it alone both for my back, and the machine.

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 04:39:08 am »

You risk doing a lot of damage to yourself and the printer if you try that by yourself, Neil.  It's heavy and not recommended to put it on its end - if you drop it, it's going to be a problem :-)

I kid you not, that I know a person here in Sydney who moved home in order to get somewhere she could run a 9900 ;p
Phil Brown

neil snape

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 05:05:43 am »

Quote from: Farmer
You risk doing a lot of damage to yourself and the printer if you try that by yourself, Neil.  It's heavy and not recommended to put it on its end - if you drop it, it's going to be a problem :-)

I kid you not, that I know a person here in Sydney who moved home in order to get somewhere she could run a 9900 ;p

Yes It is something to avoid for all LFPs. By turning them on the side there is a lot more risk of twisting the frame . If the carriage in the printer is out of alignment or worse bent it will be a big problem, one that the manufacturer shouldn't be responsible for.
I can't change lodging though , and there is no other way as even the stair well would require it to be turned on edge.
 I will have another person at least one other when moving it though.

mikev1

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 03:38:01 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
Yes It is something to avoid for all LFPs. By turning them on the side there is a lot more risk of twisting the frame . If the carriage in the printer is out of alignment or worse bent it will be a big problem, one that the manufacturer shouldn't be responsible for.
I can't change lodging though , and there is no other way as even the stair well would require it to be turned on edge.
 I will have another person at least one other when moving it though.
We had to turn it on its side to fit into the room we put it into it.  There was a thread here earlier by someone who contacted Epson support and asked them about it and they said it was fine.  The base of the printer is really strong, made out of metal.  We rested it on the bottom edge.  I wouldn't recomment laying it flat on its side as the rest of it is just plastic and could be prone to cracking or shifting.

You'll definitely have to take it out of the box if you are going to be putting it on its side.  I wouldn't trust the packaging not to shift otherwise resulting the printer resting on the weaker part of the side.

Get someone else to help you if possible.

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 06:57:21 pm »

As discussed in that other thread, if you want to assume that Epson will cover damage resulting from the printer being moved whilst on its end, I suggest you specifically contact them and get it in writing.  By and large, this is not a recommended process.
Phil Brown

Chris Gilroy

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 03:26:39 pm »

The 9900 is a BEAST for sure. I always recommend to my customers that there be FOUR people moving it. Of course, I wouldn't recommend moving a Z3200 44" with less than two either!! The 7900 and 9900 are Industrial grade printers that look more like a tank than an oldfashioned plotter. Even the ink lines are these huge chunky clear tubes in comparison to the 7880's normal lines.

Recommended (from someone who's installed dozens)

You will need 4 people (the 3 guests will only be needed for about 5 minutes)
Open the box and flip it upside down
Put all the packaging in the upside down lid and use it for your garbage
do not move the printer
Assemble the stand
Put the stand in front of the printer
Make sure the stand is facing the correct way
All 4 of you now lift the printer onto the stand
Wheel it wherever you need to go
If you have stairs to go up, it's best to bring it on the stand so you can stop and rest every few feet
Moving the printer without the stand is NOT RECOMMENDED
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:29:33 pm by Chris Gilroy »

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 06:53:39 pm »

I was able to install with one person holding the assembled stand and two of us lifting the printer directly out of the box laterally onto the stand. If I had to do it again with just two people I would just sandbag the stand and set the printer on top. It was actually easier than I thought it was going to be. Taking up a flight of stairs or upended in an elevator would be something else altogether.
Pages: [1]   Go Up