Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Economic Times Affecting you?? HOW?  (Read 5832 times)

Snook

Economic Times Affecting you?? HOW?
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:20:50 am »

Hey guys, I wrote a thread a while back when the crisis was just starting. People reply saying they were not affected at all.
Michael threw the Thread into the coffee corner as it started getting heated.
Well now that we are getting into 2009 I am wondering how many of you all have been affected NOW?
My work has been greatly reduced and the whole market where I live is up and down topsy turby and No one seems to know what they are going to do.
Clients are ALL asking for a BIG reduction in production cost.
Thought it may be a good topic of conversation as I find that Marketing and Publicity is the first to be affected by the crisis..

What is going on in your City,Country or town...?

Please report the Affect of the economy in your side of the woods.
I read China today has actually been amazingly strong thus far. Any guys from China in here?

Thanks

Snook
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:22:36 am by Snook »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:01:53 am »

I'm *small* time in the Tampa area - and all I've noticed is more clients passing for cheaper alternatives.  I have reduced my rates slightly, but not as ridiculously as others.  

On the plus side, the huge rash of GWCs all last year seem to have gone away for the most part.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 01:27:39 am »

The last 5 months have been my best ever!  I do very large landscapes that feature recognizable local scenes shown with lots of magic-hour drama and framed very handsomely.  I think people are buying these as sort of visual "comfort food" in uncertain times.  But the photogs I know who are doing pretty or arty pictures are not doing well at all.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:12:58 am »

Can't complain to much yet based on the last quarter of last year, but I think it's early days here in Australia.

I think this down-turn, or whatever you want to call it, will separate the **** from the clay in the business and hopefully people will see the value in hiring an experienced photographer as opposed to a friend of a friend from the IT department with a digital camera, two lenses and no idea.  

Time will tell..

Snook

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 09:20:27 am »

Quote from: David Anderson
Can't complain to much yet based on the last quarter of last year, but I think it's early days here in Australia.

I think this down-turn, or whatever you want to call it, will separate the **** from the clay in the business and hopefully people will see the value in hiring an experienced photographer as opposed to a friend of a friend from the IT department with a digital camera, two lenses and no idea.  

Time will tell..

I hope your right, but in my country they are using whatever is cheaper.
The guys with a 5DII and one kit lighting are robbing the good guys of Jobs...:+]
Unfortunetly many clients here do not what a good picture is...:+]
Glad to hear you guys are going well..:+]
Snook

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 06:39:38 pm »

and hopefully people will see the value in hiring an experienced photographer as opposed to a friend of a friend from the IT department with a digital camera, two lenses and no idea.

I really hope you are right - here in Melbourne Australia I have lost several jobs recently with previously existing clients because someone new in the corporate organisation 'new' some friend with a DSLR who takes 'unreal' pictures' *shakes head*. I managed to win back one of the clients after they received their proofs from their 'friend', which were all out of focus!

Speaking to the client, they simply told me - I was more than 5 times the price of the 'friend' who was willing to do the shoot for less than it would have cost me to get there, park the car and buy a decent lunch'.

I dont even bother trying to compete with a client mentality like that anymore.

As I see it the hardest part of the business at the moment is getting a client who understands the value I bring to their photographic requirements and the benefit they get from hiring a professional.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:41:20 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

sesshin

• http://
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 07:12:38 pm »

Personally I've made more money in the past few months than I had in the previous year or so. I photograph paintings and sell prints for some big artists and people are still buying those like there isn't a recession on. I'm assuming this is because they're seen as a somewhat safe investment compared to the volatility of the stock market.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 08:20:30 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
I dont even bother trying to compete with a client mentality like that anymore.

As I see it the hardest part of the business at the moment is getting a client who understands the value I bring to their photographic requirements and the benefit they get from hiring a professional.

+1 to that.  I have lost 2 weddings after the initial consultation - a first for me - because they went with someone who gave it all away.  I have come to the conclusion you can't *tell* anyone anything.  They MUST experience it.  Unfortunately for these brides, it means they will get the disappointment of their life when they get sub-par wedding shots.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 08:54:03 pm »

Quote from: Snook
I hope your right, but in my country they are using whatever is cheaper.
The guys with a 5DII and one kit lighting are robbing the good guys of Jobs...:+]
Unfortunetly many clients here do not what a good picture is...:+]
Hey I use a 5D! And although I have several flash guns, I rarely use them.  

A regular big job I do every November went to someone else this year. Though at the previous year's shoot the client was muttering about losing a lot of their income - due to factors nothing to do with current economic crisis, so I wasn't surprised to lose that job.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Snook

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 10:23:04 pm »

Hey I have a 5D also and it is a great camera... Also have a 1DsMII that is nice also.
Did not mean anything bad about the camera but alot of guys like myself have Nice studios, nice light, all kinds of tripods,softboxes,computers,extra HD's, double backing up, 2 assistants,wifi,retouchers etc..etc.. But I do not even want to go there. It is the difference between MacDonalds and Joes Stone Crab...:+} Both serve food.
Snook

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 12:01:03 am »

Quote from: Snook
Hey I have a 5D also and it is a great camera... Also have a 1DsMII that is nice also.
Did not mean anything bad about the camera but alot of guys like myself have Nice studios, nice light, all kinds of tripods,softboxes,computers,extra HD's, double backing up, 2 assistants,wifi,retouchers etc..etc.. But I do not even want to go there. It is the difference between MacDonalds and Joes Stone Crab...:+} Both serve food.
I do location work normally, so a studio to me hasn't been so important. I just rent when I need one.
But lately I have to say, I've been a bit more tempted by the thought of my own studio.
Maybe I'll wait untill some other photographers go out of business and sell theirs off cheap!  

But I've also be wondering about doing studio work on location. i.e. taking a studio to somewhere you do not expect or building one in situ again.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:02:30 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

michaelnotar

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 12:02:26 am »

well im starting my 4th year in business so things have been gradually growing here as i have been actively putting energy into the biz for 3 years. i started shooting mainly real estate, that dropped by over 2/3 last year. yeah! but commercial work is getting more diverse and frequent. i was down like 15% last year but i had a lot more free time. while i realize a small budget i wont do anything just cuz they dont have it and want it all.

over the last few years i have shot 2 jobs for 2 clients, 1 each... in one situation the client bought a new 5d and a light tent and tried to do it himself and another where another client hired someone else. in both had horrible results even after much photoshopping by photog and then ad agencies. i have also really impressed some big clients and won them over in the last 6 months too.

i am a small town in the NW, N. Idaho.

NBP

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 08:03:55 am »

Definitely quieter that this time last year & I'm getting a little annoyed now with the start of more & more client conversations being "so & so says they can do it for this - what about you?". Depressing.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:05:02 am by NBP »

LukeH

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 11:17:34 pm »

I'm just starting my business up, so maybe it's not the best time to be doing this, but time will tell.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 01:04:34 am »

The last several months has been been like a strange nightmare for me. I've been swamped but the likelihood of work coming to an end is looming just a little in the future.

For the last 4 weeks and 6 days I haven’t had a day off, and for several months prior to that I only hardly had an occasional day off. But, my biggest customer, a thriving business for 40+ years has been nearly destroyed by the downturn. They went from being overwhelmed with work to almost no work over the last 3 months. I was talking with one of the people who has worked there. He's been there for over 20 years. He said he hasn’t made any $$ to speak of in the last 2 months. This person also sells his drawings at our public market on weekends, and has for the last 10 years. He says he’s never seen so few people buying.

Another customer of mine, a firm that’s been around for decades, says they have not ever seen a downturn like this. And me, I've been at my line of work for 20 busy years (I'm in IT), and I see it likely coming to an end in the next couple of months….

I think we’ll see a turn around in time. The fed is getting behind low interest mortgage loans for those who qualify, and the fed will be dumping lots of $$ into the public sector. There will be a turn around but it will likely be some time in the making.

At the moment, people around here are scared. It is a growing hysteria and many are doing dumb things. The sad irony is if people would just spend money as usual, or even mostly as usual, most problems would disappear. So in a big way this downturn is amplified by peoples fears....

I'm like Luke in that I'm just in the first steps for my photo business. It is a highly uncertain feeling to be launching this kind of enterprise at this time, but I will say that this site has been an oasis – a phenomenal aid and rich resource to help me learn more and more quickly than I’d have been able to otherwise.

DarkPenguin

Petrjay

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 03:45:57 pm »

How bad has it gotten? Last week I got a letter from a vice president/wealth advisor at Morgan Stanley asking me to consider using their services. Wealth advisor? I need a wealth advisor like B.B. King needs music lessons. I even checked to make sure the letter wasn't addressed to "occupant." I'm pretty sure they contacted me because they couldn't find addresses for the winos living down behind the train station.

Peter J

Dansk

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 07:17:20 pm »

Some clients are busy, some are on the brink and all but gone forever sadly. One of my oldest clients 18yrs who I did a TON of great shoots with is gone recently which is a major bummer. Some seem confused by it all and dont know whats going on so even though they have budget green lights they're sitting on their hands. New sales? Whats that?

Me? Overall I'm worried but cant complain I'm still eating proper food but the cupboards loaded with Kraft Dinner just in case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up