Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D Mark II HD movie jumpy?  (Read 8252 times)

acmeglue

5D Mark II HD movie jumpy?
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:37:58 pm »

I've searched a few forums but can't find any threads on the 5D mark II HD movie issue. I bought the cam and was excited about the feature of recording full HD movie as Canon claimed.  Test shot a few HD movie clips with a genuine 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF card. No problem with recording. But when playback, the movies always seem to be jumpy, like it's only 15 frames per second, especially when you pan or tilt. I tried both Quicktime and Canon's Zoom EX. Zoom EX plays a bit smoother than Quicktime, definitely doesn’t look like 24 – 30 frames per second. Anyone else has the same experience? Is there something I am not doing right or it’s just the way the video is?
On a different note: I noticed is the Mark II tends to over expose by at least half a stop than my old 5D.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:40:41 pm by acmeglue »

Ray

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:59:30 pm »

It's difficult to say what the problem might be. I don't have a 5D2 but I have experienced occasional jerkiness when playing downloaded HD movie samples. It could be an incompatibility issue or a lack of a particular codec. The Win XP64-bit OS that I use has produced a lot of jerkiness in playback of HD samples, both in Quicktime and WMP. Usually the problem is solved by switching to another computer with a 32 bit OS.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:42:05 am »

I believe you will likely find that the original file is fine and the jumpiness is simply a playback issue. To check the file, open it in QuickTime Player or VLC Player and reduce the *viewing* size to 50% (or smaller). Generally the file will then play back smoothly. This indicates the inability of your computer playback setup to handle the H264 'in-betweening' of the 5Dii's files in high motion sequences at full screen size; the player simply jumps to the next keyframe when it can't keep up with the motion calculations. This seems likely to be a videocard problem - but I am uncertain.BTW Apple's Final Cut has more problems with the native Canon files than does QuickTime Player - again an overhead issue I believe.

When I edit the Canon 5Dii's files, I transcode them to Apple ProRes 422 at a bit-rate that is about five times that of the Canon-flavoured H264 files. Play back is then flawless in Final Cut Pro.

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:43:33 pm »

It sounds like a video card or processor issue; just not quick enough to deal with all the info like Chris said.
Also try Cinema 5D
Pages: [1]   Go Up