Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 upgrade  (Read 4264 times)

EvoM

Z3100 upgrade
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:35:36 pm »

Hi all,

just about to upgrade PPC Mac to Leopard and have TR12-TR_6.0.0.8 on my Z3100 (Plain Vanilla).
Can see the TR12-7.0.0.3-5 firmware update but can't find/remember how to check what driver version I'm on.
The HP website is very confusing as usual so if one of you folk can direct me thanks!

There is a different firmware for OSX 10.4.. (tiger) & OSX 10.5..Leopard right?

Does it use the old driver? How to check what I have on my Z3100?

Thanks for any info.

Evo

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
Z3100 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:06:00 pm »

Hi,

On the control panel of the printer go to "information" indicated by the "i" , then click "view printer information" and scroll down to the end of the information.

good luck.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:07:11 pm by sloow »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Z3100 upgrade
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:28:43 pm »

Firmware should be the same, albeit the software installer may be different for pre-Leopard.

The Firmware for the Z is a complete Unix op sys and all the stuff it needs in way of applications (binaries) to make it work, and communicate. I recently upgraded to Leopard from Tiger on a Mac Pro. Not sure if I should have. No problems with printing though, with any of the HP's online.

EvoM

Z3100 upgrade
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 09:57:38 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
Firmware should be the same, albeit the software installer may be different for pre-Leopard.

The Firmware for the Z is a complete Unix op sys and all the stuff it needs in way of applications (binaries) to make it work, and communicate. I recently upgraded to Leopard from Tiger on a Mac Pro. Not sure if I should have. No problems with printing though, with any of the HP's online.

Thanks Neil (+sloow) for responding.
So Neil is the Mac TR12-7.0.0.3-5 firmware update all I need then and not a new Driver too?
On the HP site it says check to see if you have the latest "Driver" to suit the new Firmware but that link doesn't actually go anywhere helpful!

I did read your post about Leopard upgrade so all sorted now?

Evo

neil snape

Z3100 upgrade
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:08:57 am »

Quote from: EvoM
Thanks Neil (+sloow) for responding.
So Neil is the Mac TR12-7.0.0.3-5 firmware update all I need then and not a new Driver too?
On the HP site it says check to see if you have the latest "Driver" to suit the new Firmware but that link doesn't actually go anywhere helpful!

I did read your post about Leopard upgrade so all sorted now?

Evo
I just looked, it's the same Universal Binary version 3.1. No difference Leopard or Tiger.  The firmware is a separate deal that you download and send to the printer via Ethernet or USB.
They often had questionable frmw updates but they must have worked out everything for this one as it is half a year now without changes.

Yes they have dead links in their automated programs inside the software. It was a good idea to include it, but they should take care to update links in the software so they redirect to the right pages. Not a big deal but could be done correctly, or simply removed in future updates.

There was a Nvidia update last week that was pulled from Apple that is causing some glitches on my Mac PRo. It seems to not display the right quarter of menu bars in the finder or some apps like photoshop after sleeping sometimes. Otherwise I do think you'll be fine with both.
If ever, the firmware seems not to be loaded as it doesn't reboot as expected, just hard reboot it manually. It almost always is indeed loaded which is displayed in the  start up LCD window.

Min

• http://www.MinEnghauser.com
Z3100 upgrade
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 09:44:17 pm »

Ive recently moved to mac (mac pro w/ leopard 10.5.6) but still using my xp machine too. updated Z3100 firmware and drivers etc 2 days ago and now CS4 is crashing on the mac when i try to print. the update from HP installed a bunch of stuff that wasnt there before - Printer Monitor, updated Printer Utility. Printer and CS 4 were getting along just fine before the firmware etc updates. Printer is on ethernet and so far working fine on xp machine. Is this something I did?

min

neil snape

Z3100 upgrade
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 03:40:22 am »

Quote from: Min
Ive recently moved to mac (mac pro w/ leopard 10.5.6) but still using my xp machine too. updated Z3100 firmware and drivers etc 2 days ago and now CS4 is crashing on the mac when i try to print. the update from HP installed a bunch of stuff that wasnt there before - Printer Monitor, updated Printer Utility. Printer and CS 4 were getting along just fine before the firmware etc updates. Printer is on ethernet and so far working fine on xp machine. Is this something I did?

min

IT's not clear, the Mac or PC and CS4 is crashing?
 I even noticed yesterday on the Mac the Utility was broken after the APLLE SOFTWARE AUTOMATIC UPDATE installed the HP printer drivers update. I downloaded the utility from the HP site , installed it over the Apple one and it's back up working fine. The paper adjustments were something very strange, it was missing the add custom media and a few other.

The PC was fine though>

Min

Z3100 upgrade
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:36:11 pm »

CS4 on the mac is crashing...CS3 on the pc is just fine. Im at a loss now...yes I have little mac troubleshooting experience and am wishing i left well enough alone...have to admit i dont know how to install over an Apple update. I tried to install all the lastest stuff for mac from the HP website...now theres no communication at all. Briefly i was able to get into the printer from CS4 but there were no custom papers....so i updated the paper list and then couldnt stop the crashing.

EvoM

Z3100 upgrade
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 12:09:03 am »

well, I have upgraded a PPC Mac to Leopard which involved the Mac's software update also installing new HP Drivers.
Z3100 still has TR12-TR_6.0.0.8 firmware.
I can print out of CS3 Photoshop as per normal.

Now I am contemplating whether to install the latest HP firmware  TR12-7.0.0.3-5 & CS4  but am not too thrilled with the recent threads about that and CS4.

Is anyone having success with Z3100 TR12-7.0.0.3-5,   ethernet,  PPC Mac G5,  Leopard 10.5.4 &  CS4?

Evo

Min

Z3100 upgrade
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 10:56:04 pm »

Update on my CS4 on 10.5.6 crashing when trying to print from CS4...ethernet...I reloaded the firmware today, from the Mac, and all is well...for now anyway. I originally did the firmware thru the PC and never experienced a problem...wondering why it would matter. Havent printed with the PC yet though...

min

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
Z3100 upgrade
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 05:20:47 pm »

Two days ago I installed the latest firmware for my Mac G5 (Tiger 10.4.11) and my Z3100 -  the new firmware is  7.0.0.3

I use Photoshop CS3.

It seems to work fine. I use a USB connection; not ethernet. I had a week left on my 1 year warranty - so I had an HP technical person talk me through the firmware update - as some choices can be confusing. (for example: he told me not to use the PS version update if I do not have the PS model Z3100)

Howard
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:22:59 pm by howseth »

EvoM

Z3100 upgrade
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 08:47:07 pm »

Quote from: howseth
Two days ago I installed the latest firmware for my Mac G5 (Tiger 10.4.11) and my Z3100 -  the new firmware is  7.0.0.3

I use Photoshop CS3.

It seems to work fine. I use a USB connection; not ethernet. I had a week left on my 1 year warranty - so I had an HP technical person talk me through the firmware update - as some choices can be confusing. (for example: he told me not to use the PS version update if I do not have the PS model Z3100)

Howard
Thanks Howard & others for your responses.
I can back up my PPC Mac before the upgrade but the Z3100's upgrade would be difficult to revert back!
Anyway I'll post back after i do it all!

Evo
Pages: [1]   Go Up