Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 8066 times)

masameet

Help please
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:59:15 pm »

I'm used to shooting in RAW with my Canon 20D. Recently acquired a 5DMII. When I shoot it in RAW, it gives me CR2 files. Plus I also DLed the firmware update for the black dots.

My PS2 doesn't recognize the CR2 files. Am I stuck using the Canon software to view and manipulate these files (until I get Lightroom2)?

Feel like such a doofus now.

Anthony R

Help please
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:09:26 pm »

Yes, or until you update to CS4 or until you install Adobe DNG or get another raw converter. Other raw converters, in my opinion do a nicer job than ACR anyway. But, like I stated, you can use DNG.

01af

Help please
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:48:39 pm »

Quote from: masameet
My PS2 doesn't recognize the CR2 files.
Of course not. The Playstation does not handle Canon raw files ... I think it even refuses to handle Sony raw files.

-- Olaf

Anthony R

Help please
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 05:23:34 pm »

Quote from: 01af
Of course not. The Playstation does not handle Canon raw files ... I think it even refuses to handle Sony raw files.

-- Olaf

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Help please
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 05:31:44 pm »

Go to the Adobe website and download the latest Adobe DNG Converter. You want the stand alone converter app.

Download your CR2 files to your computer, then use the converter to convert them to .DNG files. These will then open in Camera Raw.

Hope this helps. The long term solution, of course, is the CS4 upgrade.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

masameet

Help please
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 04:21:46 am »

Quote from: k bennett
Go to the Adobe website and download the latest Adobe DNG Converter. You want the stand alone converter app.

Download your CR2 files to your computer, then use the converter to convert them to .DNG files. These will then open in Camera Raw.

Hope this helps. The long term solution, of course, is the CS4 upgrade.

OK.

How about Lightroom -- will I still need a converter to work on my images in LR?

Thanks, guys! (Even you, Olaf!  )

francois

Help please
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 04:32:31 am »

How about Lightroom -- will I still need a converter to work on my images in LR?
No, Lightroom 2.3 offers full support 5d2 CR2 files. You might want to download the trial version and see for yourself.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:34:07 am by francois »
Francois

sniper

Help please
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 12:17:52 pm »

Hang on PS2, do you mean elements 2?  if thats the case then the DNG converters not going to help.  Which versions of photoshop do you have???  Wayne

masameet

Help please
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 06:55:15 pm »

Quote from: sniper
Hang on PS2, do you mean elements 2?  if thats the case then the DNG converters not going to help.  Which versions of photoshop do you have???  Wayne

I've Photoshop2. Now thinking of trying out LR2. Will probably scrap PS2 altogether for LR2.

I remember I liked LR a lot during its various beta stages some years back.

joergen geerds

• http://joergengeerds.com
Help please
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 12:44:51 pm »

I've Photoshop2.

If you are referring to photoshop 2, then it's really time to upgrade :-) I think I stopped using photoshop 2 around 1993(?) and upgraded to photoshop 3 (I think it allowed masks for the first time). If you are using Photoshop CS2, and happy with LR2.3 for all your needs, so be it... I can recommend upgrading to CS4, it has tons of nice features, plus bridge does a couple of things that LR does, especially in RAW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up