Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 7095 times)

masameet

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
Help please
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:59:15 PM »

I'm used to shooting in RAW with my Canon 20D. Recently acquired a 5DMII. When I shoot it in RAW, it gives me CR2 files. Plus I also DLed the firmware update for the black dots.

My PS2 doesn't recognize the CR2 files. Am I stuck using the Canon software to view and manipulate these files (until I get Lightroom2)?

Feel like such a doofus now.
Logged

Anthony R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 252
Help please
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:09:26 PM »

Yes, or until you update to CS4 or until you install Adobe DNG or get another raw converter. Other raw converters, in my opinion do a nicer job than ACR anyway. But, like I stated, you can use DNG.
Logged

01af

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 296
Help please
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »

Quote from: masameet
My PS2 doesn't recognize the CR2 files.
Of course not. The Playstation does not handle Canon raw files ... I think it even refuses to handle Sony raw files.

-- Olaf
Logged

Anthony R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 252
Help please
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 05:23:34 PM »

Quote from: 01af
Of course not. The Playstation does not handle Canon raw files ... I think it even refuses to handle Sony raw files.

-- Olaf
 

Logged

Ken Bennett

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1617
    • http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Help please
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 05:31:44 PM »

Go to the Adobe website and download the latest Adobe DNG Converter. You want the stand alone converter app.

Download your CR2 files to your computer, then use the converter to convert them to .DNG files. These will then open in Camera Raw.

Hope this helps. The long term solution, of course, is the CS4 upgrade.
Logged
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. Images: Work photos. Personal photos.

masameet

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
Help please
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 04:21:46 AM »

Quote from: k bennett
Go to the Adobe website and download the latest Adobe DNG Converter. You want the stand alone converter app.

Download your CR2 files to your computer, then use the converter to convert them to .DNG files. These will then open in Camera Raw.

Hope this helps. The long term solution, of course, is the CS4 upgrade.


OK.

How about Lightroom -- will I still need a converter to work on my images in LR?

Thanks, guys! (Even you, Olaf!  )
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 7952
Help please
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 04:32:31 AM »

Quote from: masameet

How about Lightroom -- will I still need a converter to work on my images in LR?
No, Lightroom 2.3 offers full support 5d2 CR2 files. You might want to download the trial version and see for yourself.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:34:07 AM by francois »
Logged
Francois

sniper

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 655
Help please
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 12:17:52 PM »

Hang on PS2, do you mean elements 2?  if thats the case then the DNG converters not going to help.  Which versions of photoshop do you have???  Wayne
Logged

masameet

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
Help please
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »

Quote from: sniper
Hang on PS2, do you mean elements 2?  if thats the case then the DNG converters not going to help.  Which versions of photoshop do you have???  Wayne

I've Photoshop2. Now thinking of trying out LR2. Will probably scrap PS2 altogether for LR2.

I remember I liked LR a lot during its various beta stages some years back.
Logged

joergen geerds

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
    • http://joergengeerds.com
Help please
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 12:44:51 PM »

Quote from: masameet
I've Photoshop2.

If you are referring to photoshop 2, then it's really time to upgrade :-) I think I stopped using photoshop 2 around 1993(?) and upgraded to photoshop 3 (I think it allowed masks for the first time). If you are using Photoshop CS2, and happy with LR2.3 for all your needs, so be it... I can recommend upgrading to CS4, it has tons of nice features, plus bridge does a couple of things that LR does, especially in RAW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up