Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New lens for SLR  (Read 2087 times)

skipp

New lens for SLR
« on: January 29, 2009, 06:26:12 am »

I've decided to dust off my Minolta Dynax 500si and start shooting some film again. I have only the 28-80 mm kit lens, so I'm looking to upgrade the lens urgently (to something in a similar focal range but with better glass).

My questions are:

1. What's the most I should be looking to spend on a new lens, before the improvement in IQ does not justify the extra expense? (In other words, at what point does the camera's limitations negate any improvement gained by buying better glass?
2. Would I be better off buying a better quality (used) SLR so that I'm able to use better lenses?

Thanks
Skipp

Plekto

New lens for SLR
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:14:35 pm »

It's a fine camera for film.  As for price, I consider about $100-$200 per lens to be the maximum that I'd spend unless it's something special.  But I've seen $200 lenses being sold at garage sales for $20-50 quite often.  It's like TVs are now - tube sets are being almost given away now.  27 inchers can be had for almost a dollar an inch currently, and they still DO show a picture just fine if you've got cable or a game system.

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/lenses.php
These are the ones that will work on the new Sony/Minolta bodies.  So if you do decide to switch to DSLR later, the lenses will still have some usefulness.  That said, if you do have to money, the Sony A series are very nice...

My personal favorite is the 24mm f2.8.  Superb scenery for not a lot of money.

5thElefant

New lens for SLR
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 02:16:09 pm »

Quote from: skipp
I've decided to dust off my Minolta Dynax 500si and start shooting some film again. I have only the 28-80 mm kit lens, so I'm looking to upgrade the lens urgently (to something in a similar focal range but with better glass).

My questions are:

1. What's the most I should be looking to spend on a new lens, before the improvement in IQ does not justify the extra expense? (In other words, at what point does the camera's limitations negate any improvement gained by buying better glass?
2. Would I be better off buying a better quality (used) SLR so that I'm able to use better lenses?

Thanks
Skipp

Hi Skip,

I've got quite a selection of minolta lenses. You don't have to spend much. The minolta 50mm f1.7 is excellent and can be had for $100 or so. The 28mm f2.8 is a little less. Another interesting one is the minolta 35-70mm f4 which is excellent and can be had for $20 if you're lucky. A more expensive option, which isn't better than the others I've mentioned IQ-wise, but is more flexible is the minolta (or sony) 24-105mm f3.5-4.5. That'll be more like $200 used (or $450 new).

Simon.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 02:17:32 pm by 5thElefant »

skipp

New lens for SLR
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:42:41 am »

Thank you for the replies. It's good to hear that I'll be able to pick up some good good lenses relatively cheaply.

I had the good fortune of stumbling across a Canon AE-1 Program last week, with an original 50mm f/1.8 lens. Both body and lens are in excellent condition, and the IQ is stunning, even on cheap film. I'd like to think that I can get similar results with the Minolta and a decent prime.

Plekto

New lens for SLR
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:14:33 pm »

Surely

The optics are as good as they ever were, the film is better than it was back then, gear is cheap...  It's never been a better time to get into film.  No, really.  If you're not a professional and only shooting a few rolls a month at most, the old film cameras are still amazing in what they can do.

That said, many pros *did* make a living with an AE-1 Program at the time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up