Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best distance learning certification/diploma?  (Read 2423 times)

Certifications...

Best distance learning certification/diploma?
« on: March 27, 2004, 06:53:37 pm »

Hi, Stealth. First of all, I am somewhat surprised at your assessment of the NYIP program. I took it way back in '82 and it seemed to cover a wide variety of topics, albeit perhaps not in the depth and detail of an RIT program. In any case, for a novice just starting out in the field, it provided a good introduction to the photographic career options available at the time.
Currently, I would recommend the programs sopnsored by the Professional Photographers of America. Check them out at:
http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=20
Also, you might try a local university, as they may know of other programs in your area. Good luck!
Steve

Stealthfixr

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 10:17:55 pm »

Here's goes on my first post with a different type question.  I am not sure I've psoted this in the right spot--chose the one that looked the closest.

My employer will pay up to $9000 for any certification or diploma program of my choosing--any field, with some caveats.  I am trying to find a photography program via a distance learning framework that is 1) worth the effort for an avid amateur with many years of shooting taht is seriously considering a professional move in several years, and 2) meets the "certification/diploma" criteria.  

I actually started NYIP awhile ago, and I was not impressed and dropped it; I am looking for something more substantial and professionally minded.  NYIP seemed superficial and did not provide me anything more than I've learned through my own reading and studies.  The project feedbacks were not very personalized, and on the whole the program was disappointing.

What are the best programs out there that can be done distance learning?  Or, is there a program no more than 3 weeks long that I could travel to, and would be worth it?  Thanks!

Howard Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 07:15:44 pm »

I have little experience with distance learning via the internet.  I studied photography for three years.  The first year I commuted about 200 miles round trip twice a week.  Then I moved to "campus."  I found I learned as much or more from fellow students as I did in the fomal class room setting.  A visual art like photography, in my opinion, woul be difficult to learn on our own or in a "1-on-1"situation with an internt connection.  However, if that is your choice, I would say to give it a go.  The worst that can happen is after a couple of years, you end up where you started - and that leikely won't happen.  Just don't be afraid to take a chance to do what you want to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up