Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Texture, Light & Shape  (Read 2110 times)

brianrybolt

Texture, Light & Shape
« on: January 29, 2009, 06:13:06 am »

[attachment=11234:070403_038.jpg]I am thinking of printing the enclosed image to approximately 20 inches in width.  I would like some feedback if you feel the shot is strong & interesting enough to carry at this size.  I am interested in the tonality, shapes & contrasts between the 'fluffier' areas in relation to the sharp 'end of slates.  

Thanks for any comments.  Brian

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Texture, Light & Shape
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:35:24 pm »

Quote from: brianrybolt
[attachment=11234:070403_038.jpg]I am thinking of printing the enclosed image to approximately 20 inches in width.  I would like some feedback if you feel the shot is strong & interesting enough to carry at this size.  I am interested in the tonality, shapes & contrasts between the 'fluffier' areas in relation to the sharp 'end of slates.  

Thanks for any comments.  Brian
Thanks Brian for posting your image. I am going to be brutally honest by saying that I personally don't think this images is worth printing as it is. Although an interesting subject matter there are several things which I think need attention.

It seems to lack dimensionality, and be all on the one plane. The lovely texture has the potential to appear quite tactile, but is not happening at the moment. Visually the structure of the stronger linear elements draw my eye downward out of the photograph. The focus for abstract or macro or work similar to this needs to be either really blurry, or really clear, not half way in between as this seems to me. The light whiter highlighted dotted areas, could be really amazing if they appeared to suspend themselves above the other elements in the photograph, but this means that the other shapes and colours need to be strong enough to hold that plane visually... so you are working on having two or more planes working with each other to create that dimensionality which creates movement and dynamics.

I know you have requested feedback on the comparison of the 'fluffier areas and the sharp areas, but I have given my thoughts on the whole feel of the image for me.

Julie

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Texture, Light & Shape
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:50:52 am »

What Julie said... me too.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up