Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 Initial Ink Install  (Read 3970 times)

pknouf

Epson 7900 Initial Ink Install
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:21:25 am »

I purchased and had installed an Epson 7900 printer about two weeks ago.  I utilized a local pro photo store to manage the setup and install.  We noticed that the LK ink upon installation of the ink cartridges was much lower than all of the rest.  The installer said that he thought perhaps the line for the LK ink was just "longer."  Well, that sounded plausible to me, a rank beginner with this my first professional ink jet printer!  So the rest of the install went by just fine and soon I was producing wonderful prints on the Epson plastic luster paper I had purchased in again, my naivete.  I have been photographing for more than 40 years and each new advance in printing would bring tears to my eyes in the new representation of my 4x5 trans.  The results from the 7900 just blew me away!  I WAS IMPRESSED!!!  So imagine my suprise when the warning message from the printer came up telling me that I was getting seriously low with the LK ink.  So I printed a few more color images on my Epson plastic 13x19 luster and a few printer profile tests for the Digital Dog on Harman FB AL paper.  Now I am down to 10% of ink for LK.  The rest of my inks are at an average of 53%.  I called Epson Premium Support and was told that this was a firmware problem and I needed to update my firmware.  I explained that I had already done this and my firmware was HN0028C,1.11,A00 which is the most recent version.  Then the support rep came back and said that this was indeed a firmare problem that occured prior to the update of the firmware and Epson would send me out a new 150 ml ink cartridge.  This was on Jan 20, 2008.  

On January 27, 2008 after not receiving the promised new LK ink cartridge I called Epson support again.   Now I was told that the 150 ml LK ink cartridge was on backorder and no one knew when it would be available.  Yet no one from Epson had thought to call me to inform me of this delay.  So much for the vaunted Epson support and my $4,000 dollars plunked down!  So today I thought why not call and get a status update.  Well imagine my suprise when I was told that this was not actually a firmware problem but just a design enhancement!  It seems that Epson has designed the 7900 to use two channels when loading the LK, including the LK channel with the MK and PK channels, in the initial load of inks.  Seems that this results in significant, around 40% plus, ink loss of the LK to the waste tank.  The Epson rep actually seemed surprised that I would challenge him on the, at least to me, design flaw of the printer.  Perhaps just an overworked rep and just give a '''!

So this post will be sent to the rep from the local store to see what they can do to rectify this 'design enhancement.'  Pity to have to go through this for what is such an excellent printer.

I will post my results of this bit of a smelly problem.

I have sent a printer profile to The Digital Dog for Harman Baryta Fiber paper Alumina.  I have great hopes for this paper/printer combination.  I would like to think I can once again approach the great depth of shadow detail and hightlight density which I received from Brilliant double weight paper.

Phil Knouf

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:51:17 am »

Quote from: pknouf
I purchased and had installed an Epson 7900 printer about two weeks ago.  I utilized a local pro photo store to manage the setup and install.  We noticed that the LK ink upon installation of the ink cartridges was much lower than all of the rest.

I bought my ESP7900 in early November and high LK utilization was just the beginning of my troubles with this printer. This has been compounded by zero response from Epson UK after twice reporting the problem below two months ago.
See http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=29823

I have now given up and bought a Z3200.

Ryan
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:10:43 am by Ionaca »
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

JimGoshorn

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 09:36:44 am »

After initializing my 7900 I also noticed that the LK ink was much lower than the other inks. The other thing that seemed odd to me was that 30% of the waste tank was used in the process.

Otherwise, the printer has been behaving better with clogging than the 7800. I did call Epson with a question and while I was on the phone I asked about a cleaning cycle that I thought might be a problem and the tech told me that the 7900 will sometimes do a cleaning cycle to "refresh" itself. It appears it did one of those last night because I printed a good nozzle check less than an hour before.

Jim

pknouf

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:52:19 am »

I spoke to my rep at the store where I purchased the 7900 regarding his conversation with Epson support.  They said that the LK ink is used to fill two channels with ink.  Seems odd to me but he thought the reason might be that when you change from PK to MK and vice versa that this protects against air in the lines.  Epson did acknowledge that they have not done a good job in explaining this behavior to their customers.  As the least they should use a large capacity LK cartridge to even out the remaining ink levels.

Well, as long as they follow through with the replacement LK cartridge then as the prints themselves are quite nice then alls well that ends well.  

Phil Knouf

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 02:59:49 am »

Quote from: pknouf
I spoke to my rep at the store where I purchased the 7900 regarding his conversation with Epson support.  They said that the LK ink is used to fill two channels with ink.  Seems odd to me but he thought the reason might be that when you change from PK to MK and vice versa that this protects against air in the lines.  Epson did acknowledge that they have not done a good job in explaining this behavior to their customers.  As the least they should use a large capacity LK cartridge to even out the remaining ink levels.

Well, as long as they follow through with the replacement LK cartridge then as the prints themselves are quite nice then alls well that ends well.  

Phil Knouf

I'm intrigued by that extra LK channel. Could someone explain why it is needed ? If they split the LK channel just before the head they could still use a slide valve to change between PK and MK + keep the LK connected. If it is about air why wouldn't the MK and PK channels not have the same problem ?
If it is in a way coöperating with the PK and MK channels and switch between blacks is there then an additional loss of LK ink during the black swaps ?
Any way to check that in an ink use log ?

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Doombrain

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 04:22:05 am »

It's not a issue  

the printer is a 11 channel printer with a 10 channel head. The head is one block split by 5 (5 x2).
the LK and PK/MK are on the same block so after the MK is charged the PK has to charge using more of the LK channel.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 06:28:03 am »

Quote from: Doombrain
It's not a issue  

the printer is a 11 channel printer with a 10 channel head. The head is one block split by 5 (5 x2).
the LK and PK/MK are on the same block so after the MK is charged the PK has to charge using more of the LK channel.

Alright, so no extra tube but loading the LK tube twice as the PK and MK tubes have to be loaded separately and in loading the waste pump plays a role to get the ink at the head, the piëzo + air pressure system are not capable on their own for the loading process. The same happens on the 11880, 3800 and 9900 then. The consequence of a design like that. It still wonder whether there is LK ink lost at the MK>PK>MK cycles, the waste pump must do a job too then and just keeping a valve shut in the LK channel may not be a good idea. The 7900 automatic head cleaning thread already refers to the waste of LK ink in particular. A general nozzle cleaning should trigger the LK channel twice too.

Ernst Dinkla

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 01:44:51 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Alright, so no extra tube but loading the LK tube twice as the PK and MK tubes have to be loaded separately and in loading the waste pump plays a role to get the ink at the head, the piëzo + air pressure system are not capable on their own for the loading process. The same happens on the 11880, 3800 and 9900 then. The consequence of a design like that. It still wonder whether there is LK ink lost at the MK>PK>MK cycles, the waste pump must do a job too then and just keeping a valve shut in the LK channel may not be a good idea. The 7900 automatic head cleaning thread already refers to the waste of LK ink in particular. A general nozzle cleaning should trigger the LK channel twice too.

Ernst Dinkla

Actually the 11880 MK and PK each have their own set of nozzles.   There is no "PK/MK" ink swap required on the 11880.

Seems like a nozzle clean shouldn't really care which black is currently flowing through it - after all it is a nozzle clean, not an ink line purge ... but you are right, it appears as though this is what may be happening.

My printer is triggering cleaning cycles frequently (mentioned on the other thread)  because of a faulty AID board and other problems.. (Epson still working on it).  .  It seems after initial charging the LK channel was still at about 43%, whereas the other channels were all at 53%.  At this point the printer has consumed over 100ml of LK ink, considerably more the other channels and quite a bit more than required for the initial charge. I have only done one PK/MK ink swap and back, so that isn't enough to contribute to the extra LK ink.

Of course, if the printer is functioning normally this shouldn't be a real problem, since after the initial charge, cleaning cycles shouldn't be required that often, and I would guess LK ink used in the PK/MK swap wouldn't be much.

Personally unless they change the firmware so that auto cleaning only  cleans affected channels (it appears to trigger a full cleaning cycle), once they get the AID function repaired in my unit I will disable it.  I've found with the 11880 just doing nozzle checks works great ... and allows you to limit cleaning only to channels that are affected (for the 11880 needing to clean is rare ... I hope my 7900 when finally repaired is as good).

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 02:05:02 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Actually the 11880 MK and PK each have their own set of nozzles.   There is no "PK/MK" ink swap required on the 11880.

Correct, my mistake. The 10 head assembly where one didn't get its nozzles..

Ernst Dinkla

Pages: [1]   Go Up