Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kelby's book on PS 3, or something more basic?  (Read 4506 times)

ChrisS

Kelby's book on PS 3, or something more basic?
« on: January 28, 2009, 02:20:08 am »

I'm thinking of buying Scott Kelby's Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers. Is it a good book for people who are pretty new to PS, or does it assume the reader already has all the basic knowledge? Do you have other recommendations for people getting into PS?

Thanks

Chris

ps Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:23:59 am by ChrisS »

MorganAdam

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 12:50:01 pm »

Scott Kelby is kind of like the Rachael Ray of photoshop teaching. There are some sound basics in there, but to find what's worthwhile you have to sort through one of the worst senses of humor in publishing and his constant "now you're doing it like the pros" approach.

Martin Evening's books are well written, are much more in-depth, and will give you the all-around knowledge you need to start using PS compentently. If you can wait, Jeff Schewe and Martin Evening have a new book coming out soon as well.

ChrisS

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 03:31:03 am »

Quote from: MorganAdam
Scott Kelby is kind of like the Rachael Ray of photoshop teaching. There are some sound basics in there, but to find what's worthwhile you have to sort through one of the worst senses of humor in publishing and his constant "now you're doing it like the pros" approach.

Martin Evening's books are well written, are much more in-depth, and will give you the all-around knowledge you need to start using PS compentently. If you can wait, Jeff Schewe and Martin Evening have a new book coming out soon as well.

Yes, I discovered that since I asked the question - the same day, I bought Kelby's 'The Digital Photography Book', vols. 1 and 2. I've found them ok so far, but the tone you describe and the space dedicated to 'humour' begins to irritate after a while. I also got Chris Orwig's 'Adobe PS CS4 How-Tos: 100 Essential Techniques', and that's straight-forward and very helpful. (I was put onto his writing by Mike in the 'Discussing Photographic Styles' part of this forum). I'll certainly keep an eye out for Schewe's and Evening's one.

Cheers

Chris

Jeff L

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:21:20 am »

Hello Chriss. I also am in a similar situation as you are. I'm a new user of CS3 and Lightroom 2. I have purchased Kelby's books on "Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers" and his book on Lightroom 2. As far as his humor goes, that really doesn't bother me. Also as others have said he doesn't really explain why or the logic of what he does. As an example I can go through the steps of one of his lessons which require using layers. I will complete the project and can repeat them but I still don't have a good grasp of using layers and masks etc.

I'm 2/3 of the way through his LR 2 book and have been working through the CS3 book. I do have to say that I like them. His CS3 book is not going to make me/you a Photoshop expert but I believe he accomplishes what he set out to do..and that is to get one up and running (albeit on a basic level). As a beginner I feel  that I have got my money's worth.
By the way; previously I was using elements 6.

Yesterday I ordered from amazon Matt Klosklowski's book "Layers: The complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature." The book has excellent reviews and according to the reviews Matt gets into the whys as well as the Hows.
I know I'm a little late responding to your question but I haven't been here lately.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Jeff L

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:53:04 pm »

My vote would be for Deke McClelland's  Adobe Photoshop CS3 One-On-One. He covers from basic to in-depth with DVD video, text and exercises. I used it to advance my skills in CS2 and have just purchased his CS4 version. Used copies are available at Amazon, Abebooks, A1, etc..
Jack Varney

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:10:24 am »

My personal preference is for the "Real World Photoshop" series. Well-written, and aimed squarely at photographers.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

headproductions

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 06:26:30 am »

Quote from: k bennett
My personal preference is for the "Real World Photoshop" series. Well-written, and aimed squarely at photographers.

I second that! Great series.
You could also try lynda.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up