Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting tethered with Canon 5D MkII  (Read 9440 times)

allenbirnbach

Shooting tethered with Canon 5D MkII
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:10:41 am »

Has anyone shot tethered with the 5D MkII yet?  I am working with a G5 and Photoshop CS3, so I'm thinking I need to shoot to Canon DPP so I can see the images. I supposed the other option is to shoot raw with a medium jpg so we can view the images by downloading a CF card into CS3 Bridge but that seems slow.

Any input would be appreciated.  Also, suggestions about the USB cord.  I know with the 1DsMkII I had repeater firewire cords so I could be a good distance away from the computer.  Is there a similar cord for USB?

Jonny Gawler

• http://www.jonnygawler.com
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:12:25 pm »

hi

i've done a couple of shoots with a 5D2 tethered via a 5 metre nikkai usb2 active extender to a quad core intel mac on OS10.4. shooting raw plus medium jpegs, the jpeg seems to arrive in a blink, then the raw appears after another second or so. we did a couple of shots with two of them (so 10 metres plus the maybe 2 metres more usb to the camera) and that worked too, live view and all.

[attachment=11371:5D2_0155aLc.jpg]

it's slow shooting of maybe sixty files though so i can't comment on the usb slowdown experienced by fast portrait / fashion photographers.

using canon's software to do the tethering thing and control the camera, and a cs3 bridge window open (filtered to just show jpegs) each new file just pops up. all quick and easy. i can't claim that this is the best or most efficient as i haven't had the time to play around, it's just nearest what i'm used to and was a quick solution. hth.

pic is two exposures blended, shooting tethered suits this sort of thing.

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:02:08 pm »

Quote from: allenbirnbach
Has anyone shot tethered with the 5D MkII yet?  I am working with a G5 and Photoshop CS3, so I'm thinking I need to shoot to Canon DPP so I can see the images. I supposed the other option is to shoot raw with a medium jpg so we can view the images by downloading a CF card into CS3 Bridge but that seems slow.

Any input would be appreciated.  Also, suggestions about the USB cord.  I know with the 1DsMkII I had repeater firewire cords so I could be a good distance away from the computer.  Is there a similar cord for USB?

I am shooting tethered all the time into the Canon software then also with auto import feature in Lightroom enabled.

The picture pops directly up in LR where I have all the controls there to satisfy the client of the look and feel of the final image.

There are 2 issues:

1. The whole lot will crash after 100 or so frames and will need new folders and a re-start to clear the problem. This is aparrently and Apple issue??

2. C1 opens automatically (i can't see how to stop it but have not looked that hard) and can cause a crash (i think) also.

Murray
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

rcannonp

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:23:23 am »

Quote from: Murray Fredericks
1. The whole lot will crash after 100 or so frames and will need new folders and a re-start to clear the problem. This is aparrently and Apple issue??

2. C1 opens automatically (i can't see how to stop it but have not looked that hard) and can cause a crash (i think) also.

Is this a 5DMKII issue, or has it happened with other cameras? I recently worked a job where we shot almost 2000 images with a 5D through the EOS Utility and auto imported into Lightroom with no problems.
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera

rcannonp

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:42:14 am »

Quote from: John Schweikert
It's an Apple/Canon USB glitch using 10.5.6 and nothing to do with any single camera model.

Shooting with the 5DII, EOS Utility for capture is simple and quick to use. I do like auto importing into Lightroom but the fact that LR requires an empty folder to start with is just lame and unnecessary. Bad choice by the LR team.

Is it particular to a certain computer model? I didn't have this issue with my 2.4GHz MBP with 10.5.6. I've reinstalled 10.4.11 because of other issues, but tethering wasn't one of them.

I agree that the auto import into LR needs a lot of work. It doesn't make sense to me that it has to move the file into another folder. I tried the tethering plugin that some guy(can't remember who right now) had written, but it was pretty buggy. Normally I would just shoot into Capture 1 and import the images into LR later, but for this job I needed to go straight to LR.
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 07:46:54 pm »

Quote from: rcannonp
Is it particular to a certain computer model? I didn't have this issue with my 2.4GHz MBP with 10.5.6. I've reinstalled 10.4.11 because of other issues, but tethering wasn't one of them.

I agree that the auto import into LR needs a lot of work. It doesn't make sense to me that it has to move the file into another folder. I tried the tethering plugin that some guy(can't remember who right now) had written, but it was pretty buggy. Normally I would just shoot into Capture 1 and import the images into LR later, but for this job I needed to go straight to LR.

the issue is with all apple models under 10.5.6 (before that transfer/shooting speed was slooooooow)....with all newer canons (1dIII, dsIII, 5DII,...)...i don't think it is a problem with dII, dsII, 5d,.....canon changed the transfer protocols and apple still hasn't figured it out completely, i guess.....my posts in the apple forum on this keep disappearing:)....
Pages: [1]   Go Up