Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5DMk2 Custom functions  (Read 4630 times)

DougBG

• http://
5DMk2 Custom functions
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:09:05 pm »

Custom Function 2: 1&2 are Long Exposure NR and High ISO NR respectively.

Do both CF's work in Raw?
Any idea what specific ISO triggers High ISO NR? (What's High?)
What are the pros/cons of High ISO NR settings? (Standard/Low/Strong)
How high an ISO can be used (if any) with say an -3 EV and no ill effects from noise?

Pros/cons of Long Exposure NR?

Can the use of these CF's be used to good effect with ACR noise reduction, and/or 3rd party noise reduction filters? or should I just leave them turned off and deal with any noise later  ?

Jonny Gawler

• http://www.jonnygawler.com
5DMk2 Custom functions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:48:48 pm »

hi

my experience with the 5d2's high iso nr is that yes it does work in raw; if you take a series of shots with whatever nr setting and open them in canon dpp it will show you what nr settings will be applied as a default. from memory, at defaults it starts applying a small amount of chroma nr at iso 160.

comparing dpp-processed raw files with the camera jpegs is an interesting if tedious exercise...

as far as deliberate underexposing / high iso / different nr settings goes, it's all down to what you're aiming for. no concrete rights and wrongs, and in my experience it's a delicate balancing act and down to personal taste and preference. hth

i don't have cs4 or lightroom so i can't tell you if adobe software picks up how much nr to apply from the camera settings, i suspect not so you're on your own there... if you're averse to dpp then you can just tell whatever raw convertor you're using how much nr to apply in conjunction with capture sharpening – it won't be "adding" its nr to canon's nr but starting again from zero.

Panopeeper

5DMk2 Custom functions
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:10:19 pm »

Quote from: DougBG
Custom Function 2: 1&2 are Long Exposure NR and High ISO NR respectively.

Do both CF's work in Raw?
1. the Long Exposure NR does affect the raw image,

2. the High ISO NR has no effect on the raw data.

How high an ISO can be used (if any) with say an -3 EV and no ill effects from noise?
The "ill effect" is subjective. On is shooting landscapes in daylight and does not except any perceivable noise in the very dark shadows; another one is  shooting a night concert without flash and puts up with lots of noise.

Pros/cons of Long Exposure NR?
1. It slows down shooting (it creates a black frame with the same shutter time),

2. it creates "black holes" (literally).

You can do the same with your own black frame shot immediately then and there and substracting that in PS, under manual control.
Gabor

james_elliot

• http://www.photo-lovers.org
5DMk2 Custom functions
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:58:23 pm »

Quote from: Panopeeper
1. the Long Exposure NR does affect the raw image,

2. the High ISO NR has no effect on the raw data.

The "ill effect" is subjective. On is shooting landscapes in daylight and does not except any perceivable noise in the very dark shadows; another one is  shooting a night concert without flash and puts up with lots of noise.

1. It slows down shooting (it creates a black frame with the same shutter time),

2. it creates "black holes" (literally).

You can do the same with your own black frame shot immediately then and there and substracting that in PS, under manual control.
I concur completely.
Differences between shots taken with and without LENR can be found here.

One side effect of LENR is that it shouldn't be used when doing astrophotography. However, I doubt you will be doing astrophotography with a 5DMarkII with its IR filter.

Regarding noise reduction on casual shots, LENR is almost always a good option. Regarding NR post-processing, I have tried many different NR softwares, either standalones (noise ninja, noiseware pro) or "packaged" with RAW convertors (ACR, DxO). I think that noiseware pro is above the rest, but this is only a personal subjective opinion not substantiated by measurements.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
5DMk2 Custom functions
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 08:15:43 am »

I took some 30 second exposures without Long Exposure Noise turned on and was amazed by the number of  stuck pixels, it's an eye opener.
With it turned on, the number drops to almost zero.  

It definitely works with raw files.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up