Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: some questions to hasselblad users out there ...  (Read 7080 times)

phoTOMgraphy

• thomas|ebruster|photography
some questions to hasselblad users out there ...
« on: January 26, 2009, 02:20:17 pm »

hi,
first of all i'm interested in your experience of how much i can stop down before diffraction will become an issue?

coming from dslr (olympus 4/3) diffraction becomes an issue at about f11.
now with h3d-39 i wonder if i am able to use f32? or should i stop at f22 ??

and second: how do you deal with rain?
i'm afraid that water could get inside my back through the air slots when mounted on my tripod in portrait direction.

do you cover the camera with a plastic bag? how well/bad is the body sealed against rain in general?
it looks not very well sealed to me.

cheers
tom

thomasebruster.com
Arca Rm3di | SK43 | RS28 | CFV-50[

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 02:37:33 pm »

Re: rain, if you have the camera on a tripod, you (or an assistant) could probably hold an umbrella over yourself.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 02:44:54 pm »

I honestly have to admit I never ever take it above f16 because I expect to get diffraction above that so I don't go looking for it. I focus bracket when I can. Nowadays I take the X-act when I need more DoF and use tilt (pfff, talk about diffraction with Digitars ). With the H I am waiting for the HTS to be able to do that. I once did a shot at f32 when I wanted to have the sun visible in my image, guess that is not really a good example to show for diffraction  The image quality was still pretty good and considering the circumstances very good. If you have to you can use f32 (it is there), whether it lives up to your expectations or needs? That is a matter of personal comfort level, mine doesn't go there (only if I really have to) but maybe I use it totally different than you do.

Same goes for rain. I have one of those raincovers but would not chose to use it. I much rather take my Nikon out of the bag in the rain, even pouring rain. I know it can handle it and if there does come a time it doesn't, it doesn't hurt so much. I am pretty sure it (my hasselblad back/body) has no weather seals. Maybe other people have used it in rain but I haven't.

Sure would like to know someones experiences in the rain though.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:48:08 pm by Dustbak »

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:00:16 pm »

I shoot quite a bit in the rain with my H3DII39. I did as well with my H2.

I use a Kata rain cover, I forget the model # now.

If it's misty I won't bother with the Kata cover, I will use a large absorbent towel that I carry with me.

With the longer lenses I use the lens shade to reduce the amount of water landing on the objective. Often times I will use Lee filters, which will get very wet, because they won’t go underneath the rain cover.

Regarding your question on f-stop and diffraction: it varies per lens. I would not worry about f32 or f45, just experiment and find the best aperture for the lens.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:40:18 pm »

In my experience, medium format takes the most noticable descent after f16 with most lenses (both medium format and view camera lenses, yes even digital lenses like Rodenstock, Schneider, etc). Aperture use of f22 or f32 may be usable, but certainly not optimal compared to f16 and larger. Once I get into a situation where I discover f22 is the ideal aperture for what I'm trying to accomplish from an exposure or depth of field perpspective, I start trying to think of ways I can change that equation so I'm back at f16.

However, the degree of loss will differ as the complexity and optimization of lens design means that some lenses may perform stronger at smaller apertures than others. Recently I took part in some testing with the Phase One digital lenses against another brand of medium format lenses and the Phase One lenses in this test were sharper at f11 and smaller, while wider open it was a much closer contest.

The result of all this is that you may want to test the lenses at the apertures which you feel you will most commonly use. Obviously some applications require random apertures based on the situation where other applications may be more consistent in terms of the most often used apertures.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:42:07 pm by Steve Hendrix/Phase One »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 01:32:42 am »

Quote from: jecxz
I shoot quite a bit in the rain with my H3DII39. I did as well with my H2.

Also in those torrential tropical rain storms? Interesting if the equipment can cope with much more rain than I thought it can.

phoTOMgraphy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:23:39 am »

i'm a littlebit dissapointed from your appreciation about diffraction.

i hoped middle format would be far more usable in this case...  

@drowning gear:
i read that some use shower caps to protect their cameras from rain.
others umbrellas.
i didn't find a special model from kata's protection bags to fit hasselblad h models.

i think i will have to adapt some household article for my needs.

strange why those middleformat equipment - although made for extreme situations to fit professional needs - aren't protected against rain very well.  

my old non-professional olympus e-1 won't stop working even in pouring rain without any additional cover.  

cheers
tom
thomasebruster.com

jecxz

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:11:29 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
Also in those torrential tropical rain storms? Interesting if the equipment can cope with much more rain than I thought it can.
Ray, which torrential tropical rain storms--the tropical rain storms here in North American or in Canada (LOL)? Not sure what you are implying here - "if the equipment can cope..." - you think I'm being dishonest with my experience? I most certainly hope not. No need to be sarcastic, if you don't believe me I'm not sure what to tell you. The question was about rain and I answered it.

Steve - thanks for saying precisely what I said - it differs per lens.

Tom - I'm not sure what there is to be disappointed about. I have extensive experience with my H2s, having exposed roughly 40,000 frames, and it really varies per lens - for instance, I would not shoot the 28mm past f16 or even f11. I'm not sure what you are "dissapointed" about.

Kind regards,
Derek

jecxz

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:21:16 am »

Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
@drowning gear:
i read that some use shower caps to protect their cameras from rain.
others umbrellas.
i didn't find a special model from kata's protection bags to fit hasselblad h models.

i think i will have to adapt some household article for my needs.

strange why those middleformat equipment - although made for extreme situations to fit professional needs - aren't protected against rain very well.  
Umbrellas are difficult with wind and if you don't have an assistant, hard to manage by yourself.

I'm not sure which Kata rain cover I have, but I think it's the E702 + E704 (extension), and it just barley covers the H plus 300mm with 1.7x - which is the longest. With the lens hood on, it doesn't make it to the end of the lens, but it's good enough. ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3168...ents_Cover.html and http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3168...nsion_Kit.html)

I carry a dry towel with me to wipe down the gear from wetness when changing lenses (such as this: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83033)

Note there are other brands of rain covers that may be better - I just happen to use Kata.

Kind regards,
Derek
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:21:41 am by jecxz »

phoTOMgraphy

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 09:01:39 am »

I carry a dry towel with me to wipe down the gear from wetness when changing lenses (such as this: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83033)

hey i bought such a towel last year, never intended to use it for photography.  
thanks for the hint.  

@diffraction:
i'm not generally dissapointed, but i would like to use f22-f32 more often without any doubt, and thought with middle format this would be not such a big issue as it was with smaller format sensors.

but hey, i'm at the lower end of the learning curve in terms of digital middle format - the way is up ...  

regards
tom
thomasebruster.com

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 09:06:55 am »

double
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:09:13 am by Dustbak »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 09:08:25 am »

Ray, which torrential tropical rain storms--the tropical rain storms here in North American or in Canada (LOL)? Not sure what you are implying here - "if the equipment can cope..." - you think I'm being dishonest with my experience? I most certainly hope not. No need to be sarcastic, if you don't believe me I'm not sure what to tell you. The question was about rain and I answered it.

Steve - thanks for saying precisely what I said - it differs per lens.

Tom - I'm not sure what there is to be disappointed about. I have extensive experience with my H2s, having exposed roughly 40,000 frames, and it really varies per lens - for instance, I would not shoot the 28mm past f16 or even f11. I'm not sure what you are "dissapointed" about.

Kind regards,
Derek

No no, don't worry Derek. Nothing in my response was meant to be sarcastic or imply dishonesty. I am simply curious to your experiences in rain which is why I am asking further. Maybe because I am a bit of a chicken to try it myself  

My last sentence was just about what I personally thought the system was able to handle and I am pleasantly surprised if that idea has been proven wrong.

jecxz

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 09:36:27 am »

No no, don't worry Derek. Nothing in my response was meant to be sarcastic or imply dishonesty. I am simply curious to your experiences in rain which is why I am asking further. Maybe because I am a bit of a chicken to try it myself  

My last sentence was just about what I personally thought the system was able to handle and I am pleasantly surprised if that idea has been proven wrong.
I understand, sorry to be jumpy.

To be honest, when I first made the investment into the H system in 2005 it was quite a hit financially (and that was film H2 - I purchased every lens at once except the 100mm and the 50-110mm). I was very nervous, but I realized the best moments in the landscape were sometimes in foul weather.

I've shot in heavy rain (with cover), while standing in the sea (4' waves), I've shot in sand storms and I've had the H2, 300mm and 1.7x covered in sand (and I mean covered).

I have an insurance policy that covers the gear from all hazards and I purchased the gear to use, not to be handled softly.

Am I still nervous? Yes! But when I think about it, it boils down to what's more important: me or the gear? The answer always boils down to the gear - I can heal.

Kind regards,
Derek

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 09:47:13 am »

.., but I realized the best moments in the landscape were sometimes in foul weather.

That is precisely what I think as well. One of my best images has been taken in a horribe rainstorm. It did cost me a (cheap) lens but the body (F5) didn't even seem to notice it got drenched. It is good to hear the H can withstand more than I gave it credit for, I will certainly give it a try one of these days.

Thx!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:50:25 am by Dustbak »

jecxz

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 10:10:09 am »

That is precisely what I think as well. One of my best images has been taken in a horribe rainstorm. It did cost me a (cheap) lens but the body (F5) didn't even seem to notice it got drenched. It is good to hear the H can withstand more than I gave it credit for, I will certainly give it a try one of these days.

Thx!
Ray, just keep it covered, that's all. Let me know, I'd love to see the shots! Be well.

Kind regards,
Derek

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 06:04:32 pm »

Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
hi,
first of all i'm interested in your experience of how much i can stop down before diffraction will become an issue?

coming from dslr (olympus 4/3) diffraction becomes an issue at about f11.
now with h3d-39 i wonder if i am able to use f32? or should i stop at f22 ??

and second: how do you deal with rain?
i'm afraid that water could get inside my back through the air slots when mounted on my tripod in portrait direction.

do you cover the camera with a plastic bag? how well/bad is the body sealed against rain in general?
it looks not very well sealed to me.

cheers
tom

Tom,

If you got the camera, why don't you fo it your self?

I need to know about canon 5d 2, but I don't have the camera,,so I will ask.

I have the HD3-50 I can find out what I can do no            ?

Here is one @ f25

Go in shoot, do it @ what ever you want to, don't like it, simple deleted.

Life is beautiful

Good luck

BlasR

BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

hubell

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 08:11:56 pm »

I shot extensively in Acadia Nat. Park last October with an H3D in the rain. (Acadia is nice in fair weather, but breathtaking in rain and fog.) I used the Kata rain jacket for the body and a Kata rain sleeve for my bigger lenses, the zoom, the 210 and the 300. It generally worked well. The challenge is keeping rain off the front lens element or filter if the wind is blowing. It's no problem with the longer lenses like the 210 and 300 that have longish lens hoods, but the zoom and my 35mm HC do not.
Here is an example taken under "ideal" conditions.

[attachment=11180:Maine_20...3006_CS_.jpg]

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 08:58:51 pm »

Nice shot and atmosphere, Howard.

Best,
Thierry

Quote from: hcubell
Here is an example taken under "ideal" conditions.

[attachment=11180:Maine_20...3006_CS_.jpg]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

hubell

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 09:39:26 pm »

Quote from: thsinar
Nice shot and atmosphere, Howard.

Best,
Thierry

Thank you, Thierry. You have been among the missing.

miketelemark

• http://www.MichaelAndersonGallery.com
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 10:34:31 pm »

Tom,

I've traveled all over the world with my H2D and have photographed in many different conditions.  The camera is very durable, but at best minimally water resistant.  I also use a raincover (www.stormjacket.com) and have photographed in the rain a fair amount without significant problems.  When shooting in very humid conditions, you will occassionally get an error message asking you to replace the lens or digital back.  If you remove the battery and then replace it again, the problem is usually solved.  I don't run into that problem in dry conditions.  I carry it in a canyoneering dry bag with a dessicant packet AT ALL TIMES in the wilderness.  I use black electrical tape around the interface of the Camera and the Back and this helps, but be aware that you should remove this every night to gaurd against condensation inside the interface.  Although shooting in the rain can be nerve wracking but is doable, be VERY CAREFUL shooting near seawater.  I was recently shooting in the South Pacific and a minimal amount of fine sea spray hit the camera despite being covered by the raincover.  Not water splash, just the mist from waves breaking 20 feet away.  The salt water mist ended up condensing inside the camera causing internal corrosion problems I couldn't visualize.  The next day, the camera promptly stopped working forcing me to use my backup.  I sent it back to Hasselblad and it took two and a half months to replace corroded parts which are not covered by warranty.  Big expensive lesson learned.  As for the good news, I've successfully used the camera up to 18,000 feet in Nepal without problems and have used it in temperatures as low as -15F without problems. I kept two spare batteries in my pocket with a chemical handwarmer.  More and more Landscape and travel photographers are using the Hasselblad system and it would be nice to see some effort to weather seal the camera better, or offer custom fit rubber protection sleeves.  Just my 2 cents...

-Michael Anderson
www.MichaelAndersonGallery.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up