Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom paper size on HP z3100  (Read 5353 times)

lalithaparam

Custom paper size on HP z3100
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:57:54 pm »

I am trying to print from Lightroom 2.2 using vista 64 bit OS.  When I try to pick a custom size of 24x20 (width of 24 and height of 20], I get a message that says the width of the paper should not be more than the height of the paper and it reverses the size.  I could specify any size with XP before I switched OS.  Am i doing something wrong?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 07:53:18 pm »

Quote from: lalithaparam
I am trying to print from Lightroom 2.2 using vista 64 bit OS.  When I try to pick a custom size of 24x20 (width of 24 and height of 20], I get a message that says the width of the paper should not be more than the height of the paper and it reverses the size.  I could specify any size with XP before I switched OS.  Am i doing something wrong?

I assume you have a 24" wide printer?  You would want to have your printer print on the full width of the 24" paper.  Not sure if you are printing off a roll or sheets. If sheet stock what is the paper size? Cannot answer the Vista question.
Dan Berg

lalithaparam

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:48:22 pm »

Quote from: Dan Berg
I assume you have a 24" wide printer?  You would want to have your printer print on the full width of the 24" paper.  Not sure if you are printing off a roll or sheets. If sheet stock what is the paper size? Cannot answer the Vista question.
Dan Berg

I am printing of roll paper. I have a 24 inch wide printer. Does anybody else have any other ideas. I am sure that there are people using this on vista.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:02:10 am »

I am printing of roll paper. I have a 24 inch wide printer. Does anybody else have any other ideas. I am sure that there are people using this on vista.

The latest Z drivers have that issue. On Vista 64 and Qimage I continue with the Z driver settings and select landscape mode there and Qimage does the rotating of the images loaded. No issue. It is the same with XP 32 bits.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

lalithaparam

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:32:09 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
The latest Z drivers have that issue. On Vista 64 and Qimage I continue with the Z driver settings and select landscape mode there and Qimage does the rotating of the images loaded. No issue. It is the same with XP 32 bits.

Ernst Dinkla

I have since been over to the user group mentioned in your post and read the threads on this.  This really sucks.  It used to work really well and they have messed it up with the new firmware.  I am surprised by their poor quality control.  They fix one problem but create two new ones.  Maybe it is time to go back to Epson.

Param.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:32:35 pm by lalithaparam »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:17:36 pm »

I have since been over to the user group mentioned in your post and read the threads on this.  This really sucks.  It used to work really well and they have messed it up with the new firmware.  I am surprised by their poor quality control.  They fix one problem but create two new ones.  Maybe it is time to go back to Epson.

Param.

There are more threads here on the subject. There may be a solution for Lightroom or Photoshop mentioned there. I see you posted a question there, read a bit further in that thread.

I use Qimage and if I go along the threads here and on more mailing lists I see a lot of questions raised that get an answer in Qimage before they become a problem. The few that remain can be discussed on the Qimage mailing list.

Ernst Dinkla

Andrew Stagg

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 03:58:28 am »

When you select custom paper size, are you saving a new custom paper? If so you are getting the dialogue box with 'feature tip' as the title and 'the width of the paper size should be equal or smaller than its length.....'

If this is the case, press cancel instead of OK. The custom paper size will still be saved.

Then exit page setup, click on page setup again and lo and behold the new paper size is available to you.

I hope that this helps.

Andrew Stagg

lalithaparam

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:45:38 pm »

Quote from: Andrew Stagg
When you select custom paper size, are you saving a new custom paper? If so you are getting the dialogue box with 'feature tip' as the title and 'the width of the paper size should be equal or smaller than its length.....'

If this is the case, press cancel instead of OK. The custom paper size will still be saved.

Then exit page setup, click on page setup again and lo and behold the new paper size is available to you.

I hope that this helps.

Andrew Stagg

I tried doing that but it does not allow me to save.

Param.

Andrew Stagg

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 04:16:23 am »

[attachment=11255:z3100printcustom.jpg]

Param,

Attached is the set of dialog boxes that appear during setting the custom paper size. If you follow the order of the numbers, you will get the saved configuration that you want.

1.  from printing preferences, click custom
2.  enter the name of your custom paper
3.  enter the width and height
4.  click save
5.  click cancel on the feature tip dialog
6.  click ok on the custom paper size dialog
7.  click ok on the printing preferences dialog

Then you need to re-open the printing preferences dialog
and do the following:

[attachment=11256:z3100printcustom2.jpg]

1.  select document size and more
2.  scroll to the custom section on the paper and select your new paper size.

I hope this clears it up.

Best

Andrew Stagg
www.bristolcanvas.com

Richard Man

• Richard Man Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:18:39 pm »

Quote from: Andrew Stagg

I hope that this helps.

Andrew Stagg

Andrew, you mentioned this trick before, but it doesn't work in the latest driver anyway.

The proper fix is go ahead and let the driver swap the values, and select landscape when printing.

My earlier problem stemmed from the fact that the printer didn't see a 17" roll as 17, but 16.95" so it won't print the way I wanted.
// richard
[url=http://richardmanphoto.c

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 03:14:03 am »

LAst night I set up a custom size for the 3200 and it not only says in the manual that you cannot select a width larger than the height but does not allow this in the driver with the same text tip and warning if tried.

Must be a reason.

Yet I'm not sure why it is a problem to set it up long side for load and rotate?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 05:21:18 am »

Quote from: neil snape
LAst night I set up a custom size for the 3200 and it not only says in the manual that you cannot select a width larger than the height but does not allow this in the driver with the same text tip and warning if tried.

Must be a reason.

Yet I'm not sure why it is a problem to set it up long side for load and rotate?

Neil,

You are using Qimage if I'm correct. Just continue, set landscape mode in the driver and keep auto rotate in Qimage custom size settings. It will print and cut a landscape rectangle print page from the roll, no waste of paper. Why it was needed isn't clear to me.

Ernst Dinkla

bhuddleston

Re: Custom paper size on HP z3100
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 09:54:44 am »

I know this is a very old post but just incase someone is having this problem like I recently did I thought I would make a post. Hope it helps someone.

Sadly my Epson 9900 died :( We recently purchased a new printer, an HP Z3200. I like my epson better, but I cant do anything about that now!

So I had this issue pop up, dialogue box with 'feature tip' as the title and 'the width of the paper size should be equal or smaller than its length.....'

I have since figured out that it is only the PS driver that does it. In the PS driver you could select landscape after letting it fix the values and it would just flip/mirror the image and not actually rotate it (if that makes sense). The PCL driver will actually rotate the image when you select landscape, then you dont have to waste paper :) Like I said I hope this eventually helps someone.

deanwork

Re: Custom paper size on HP z3100
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 10:32:29 am »

It does the same thing, and always has from the standard HP driver. Like Ernst just said, just ignore the warning, which means nothing, and choose landscape in the initial layout and you will see the image rotate correctly. It was never a hassle for me. I'm on Windows 7 and it all works fine.

john
Pages: [1]   Go Up