Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Metadata- "status has been changed"  (Read 2619 times)

MDaniels80

Question about Metadata- "status has been changed"
« on: January 24, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »

I've noticed in my metadata section in LR, that the Status says "Has been chnaged" and that if I click on the icon to the right it says the metadata has been changed in LR and if I want to save to file.  Now it seems almost all photos have this status.  I do changed the metadata with keywords and some other info when importing, so I am assuming this is why I am getting the message on all of them.  From my understanding, I thought changes to metadata were to be saved automatically when LR was not busy.  Yet it doesn't seem so, since this status never changed.  AM I understanding this process correctly, or perhaps I need to go into the setting, or is something just wrong and not working right.  Thanks for any Advice.

Michael
www.MichaelDanielson.com

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Question about Metadata- "status has been changed"
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 05:24:46 pm »

Quote from: MDaniels80
I've noticed in my metadata section in LR, that the Status says "Has been chnaged" and that if I click on the icon to the right it says the metadata has been changed in LR and if I want to save to file.  Now it seems almost all photos have this status.  I do changed the metadata with keywords and some other info when importing, so I am assuming this is why I am getting the message on all of them.  From my understanding, I thought changes to metadata were to be saved automatically when LR was not busy.  Yet it doesn't seem so, since this status never changed.  AM I understanding this process correctly, or perhaps I need to go into the setting, or is something just wrong and not working right.  Thanks for any Advice.

Michael
www.MichaelDanielson.com

Hi Michael,

LR cant write directly to the RAW file and embed the information like DPP can for Canon files as an example. It has to create a side car file -  a .xmp file which stores the metadata. This is an optional setting in LR - to automatically save metadata edits to .xmp [it can slow performance, but I havent noticed any performance penalty on a quad core mac pro.]

LR creates a set of instructions when you develop a RAW image - those instructions are saved in the LR catalogue - which is seperate to your image database. Thus if you take the RAW file to another computer running LR without taking the .xmp it will appear as originally shot as it doesnt have the instructions on how it should look, and it wont have the metadata changes.

If for example you wanted to send someone your RAW file with the list of develop instructions and metadata you need to export the RAW file and a .xmp [which has the instructions and metadata].

Its not an issue to get the message 'metadata status has changed' if you are not sending off RAW files for other people. Everytime you write a TIFF or JPEG it will embed the metadata.
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up