Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Semi-durable fiber gloss paper?  (Read 3231 times)

JBerardi

Semi-durable fiber gloss paper?
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:13:36 am »

Hi there.

I'm working on a series of prints, made on Harman FB Gloss. This paper is perfectly suited for the images in question, and I plan to continue using it for framed prints. However, I'm also working on putting together a portfolio of these images, and I find that the surface of the paper is far too fragile for this purpose (the prints are going to be in mats which will provide some protection... but the Harman is absurdly fragile). MK ink is out of the question for these images, and RC gloss papers just don't look as good as the fiber-based ones, so what's my best option here? I'm thinking the Epson Exhibition Fiber would be a good replacement, but is the surface any less vulnerable? Are any of the Baryta papers any better in this regard (the only other one I've tried is the Ilford GFS, it's just as bad if not worse)? Or do I need to start messing around with protective sprays and the like?

Thanks in advance.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 02:52:20 am »

I haven't found any Baryta surfaces to be as robust as Satin photo types.
I really like HP's Pro Satin, and like Epson PRemium Lustre for portfolio type printing. There are few advantages left for Baryta prints in plastic sleeves.
I did notice the warmth and absolute non use of OBA in some Baryta media to produce better skin tone under more light including daylight though.
Some have had good luck with Kodak too posted here earlier.

JBerardi

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:50:28 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
I haven't found any Baryta surfaces to be as robust as Satin photo types.
I really like HP's Pro Satin, and like Epson PRemium Lustre for portfolio type printing. There are few advantages left for Baryta prints in plastic sleeves.

Yes, Premium Luster would solve this problem easily, and maybe that's what I'll end up doing (since I'm using the 3800). The surface of that paper just seems dead to me compared to the fiber papers I've used, and I don't need the prints to be THAT durable. I was just hoping someone could recommend something in a fiber paper that doesn't get immediately get scuffed to hell by a stiff breeze as the Harman does.

colinm

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 05:30:16 pm »

How dry are the Harman sheets you've been finding to be fragile?

In my experience, they top any glossy fiber or RC paper I've tried when they're fully dry. Shortly after printing, they are absurdly fragile, but given a couple days I've found them to be extremely durable.

This is with K3 inks; can't comment on others.
Colin

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 10:44:34 am »

I use the Ilford Gold Fiber Silk for all my portfolio prints and it's held up very nicely.  No complaints on it's durability from me.  Jim

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 11:49:16 am »

Quote from: haefnerphoto
I use the Ilford Gold Fiber Silk for all my portfolio prints and it's held up very nicely.  No complaints on it's durability from me.  Jim
Hey Jim
do you find the warm tone too much?
Also can you see yourself mounting a print and hanging it on the wall, frameless?
I'm thinking of the GFS for some exhibition prints but like JB I need it durable as I won't be putting them behind glass.

thanks
r

Conner999

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 12:02:49 pm »

Love the look of the FB AL, but is, as said, EXCEPTIONALLY delicate when going thru printer (3800) or until well dry. Find GFS much more durable. Also, even though thinner than FB AL it tends to stay flater/stiffer when freshly inked vs FB AL (which seems to swell in heavy ink areas when wet). Find the GFS easier to hang flat on wall (sans frame) and handle once printed as a result. The warm tone on GFS vs Fb AL is very subtle.

JBerardi

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 02:44:24 pm »

Quote from: colinm
How dry are the Harman sheets you've been finding to be fragile?

In my experience, they top any glossy fiber or RC paper I've tried when they're fully dry. Shortly after printing, they are absurdly fragile, but given a couple days I've found them to be extremely durable.

This is with K3 inks; can't comment on others.

I think you may be on to something here. I usually let them dry a day or two before framing, but of course, I don't test scratch resistance on a print I'm about to frame... looking at a few of the test prints I liked that ended up tacked to my wall though, yeah, they are better. Thanks for the tip!

No one wants to comment on the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper in this regard?

Conner999

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 07:04:30 pm »

I'd put EEF in same class as GFS - can't be abused, but nowhere near as delicate as FB AL when wet. Bit more texture than GFS but brighter white.

Bartone

• http://bartonephotography.com
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 08:22:55 pm »

I >should< know, but I dont: What's Baryta paper? And speaking of paper...

I need a paper that'll probably end up being my main squeeze: I prefer a non-gloss paper, though the look of Epson Exhibition would do just fine (if it came in rolls). I'm >almost< happy with the Hahnamule Rag 308, but I think I'd like to see a better D-max (otherwise, it's terrific paper). Can someone tell me the difference between that and some of the other (especially the pearl) papers - in terms of the feel of them? I print both b&w and color. Sarah at Shades has recommended Innova’s Ultra Smooth Gloss 285, but I'm looking at the dreaded word 'gloss' in the title. Hmmmm. Also, it should be available in 24" rolls. Ideally, it should cost next to nothing ;-)

bartone

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 01:43:53 am »

The papers that really have that little bit extra are all the most expensive. H PR Baryta, Museo Silver Rag etc are expensive.
So being that you need roll perhaps the Ilford Gold Silk is the best roll option and the least expensive by far.
I'm not a fan of the Innova papers but this is relative to other premium papers. Permajet have some less expensive papers similar to other media in the less expensive lines. There is also Sihl who are the manufacturer of OEM media with a Baryta that Ernst says is pretty good for a reasonable price.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 02:13:41 am »

Quote from: neil snape
There is also Sihl who are the manufacturer of OEM media with a Baryta that Ernst says is pretty good for a reasonable price.
Hmmmm . . . . isn't Sihl the leading suspect for producing HP's Satin Barite paper (of cockling fame)?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up