Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Batch Process HDR image files?  (Read 7922 times)

sanking

How to Batch Process HDR image files?
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:58:37 pm »

OK, here is a simple question.

Assume that a person went out and filled a CF card with AEB bracketing of every image, ranging from -8 to +8 in terms of exposure, or about  five shots of each subject, RAW at 15 mp per shot.

How would one process the CF disk to merge to HDR all of the files on the CF?

I know how to do this individually  for each range of brackets, but is there some way to automate the process?

Sandy King

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:08:13 am »

In what software? Photomatrix has a "Batch" menu choice.

Eyeball

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 12:23:42 pm »

If you have CS4, there is a new function in Bridge that might help with this.  It is called auto-stacking.  Here is an excerpt from the Bridge help file:

The Auto Collection CS4 script in Adobe Bridge assembles sets of images into stacks for processing as high dynamic range (HDR) or panoramic images in Photoshop CS4. The script collects images into stacks based on capture time, exposure settings, and image alignment. Timestamps must be within 18 seconds for the Auto Collection script to process the photos. If exposure settings vary across the photos and content overlaps by more than 80%, the script interprets the photos as an HDR set. If exposure is constant and content overlaps by less than 80%, the script interprets the photos as being part of a panorama.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:07:29 pm »

Photomatix batch processing works very well.

Your best practice is to make a directory containing only the images you want to process, then turn the batch process loose on that directory.  It offers the option of being able to select only specific files in a directory, but that function does not seem to work properly.

Before running the batch processor you should load one typical bracket set using the "Generate HDR" button on the main screen.  Get the settings as you like them, then write write down the parameters and enter them again when you run the batch processor.  The auto-alignment feature works very well and is a life saver even when you used a sturdy tripod.

Photomatix will handle raw images, but I get better results converting the raws first to tif in ACR.  This gives me a chance to remove chromatic and apply ACR sharpening which I prefer to other means.  Going into Photomatix it is important to have as little chromatic as possible since it gets exaggerated in the HDR process.  IMHO the chromatic removal option in Photomatix damages overall color a bit too match.

+8 to -8 is a VERY extreme bracket set, usually it is best to not include extremely dark and extremely blown out frames.  If you are trying to capture the sun's disk your best technique may be to not include the "sun" frame in the hdr set, but mask it in later in the post processing layer stack.

BTW the "Details Enhancer" tone mapping paradigm is better than the "Tone Compressor" one.  For the most natural looking results keep the "Strength" slider set to "0".

sanking

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:15:44 am »

Thanks for the advice. At present I only have Photoshop CS3. From what has been suggested, sounds like I need to get Photomatrix.

Sandy King

sniper

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 01:37:24 pm »

Photoshop certainly isn't the easiest way to make HDR images, it does do a pretty good job but needs a lot more input and tweeking to get a really good result. Photomatixs is much more "user friendly" and quicker to the end result.  Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up