Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Miniature view camera  (Read 10184 times)

nubins

• http://www.lightboxf8.com
Miniature view camera
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:17:58 pm »

I need advice on finding a "small" view camera.

I have been looking for a small view camera for a while now. I was sold on the Fuji GX680III but for several reasons I think I need a different system.

I am looking for something like the Hasselblad ArcBody or FlexBody. Small with movements tilt and shift.

Is there anything else out there like the ArcBody and FlexBody with a reasonable price (under $4000). Hopefully way under.  

Thanks

tashley

Miniature view camera
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:30:26 pm »

Quote from: nubins

I have been looking for a small view camera for a while now. I was sold on the Fuji GX680III but for several reasons I think I need a different system.

I am looking for something like the Hasselblad ArcBody or FlexBody. Small with movements tilt and shift.

Is there anything else out there like the ArcBody and FlexBody with a reasonable price (under $4000). Hopefully way under.  

Thanks

Yup, Silvestri Flexcam and Bicam (see my other thread) but otherwise everything small has only shift on no movements.

Misirlou

• http://
Miniature view camera
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 04:43:47 pm »

There were some small Horseman view cameras designed for a smaller sheet film size, 2 1/4 by 3 3/4 or something like that. You could get assorted MF film backs for them too. I'm pretty sure Busch and Graflex also made versions that were intended more for press work, with limited movements.

Almost bought a Horseman once. Limited sheet film availability though in that size, so I ended up going with 4X5.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Miniature view camera
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 05:18:37 pm »

How 'bout this Hasselblad tilt-shift adapter?
[attachment=11050:hts.jpg]
~ CB

David Klepacki

Miniature view camera
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 09:35:39 pm »

Thanks

This has been discussed in a recent thread here: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=31227

Like you (and others), I also had difficulty finding a small and portable solution that had the rigidity, stability and precision that I needed.  So, I ended up taking a standard Flexbody and making it into what I needed.  It is not inexpensive to do, but it offers me significantly more movements than the Hasselblad HTS.  My modified Flexbody is meeting my needs and has already paid for itself.  Time is money, and I am typically done with the shoot in less than half the time it takes with a view camera.  I am willing to  build a couple more of these for professional photographers who appreciate this solution.  You can PM me for details.

tashley

Miniature view camera
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 05:57:31 am »

Quote from: Chris_Brown
How 'bout this Hasselblad tilt-shift adapter?
[attachment=11050:hts.jpg]

I was thinking of one of those but look at the Capture Integration website

http://www.captureintegration.com/tests/lens/  scroll down to '35mm Lenses: Cambo Wide DS vs Medium Format' and then download some of the comparison files and look at them closely.

What this tells me is that thought the Hassy T/S adaptor isn't released yet, so we can't know just how good it is (and I am sure it'll be very good indeed) one thing we do know is that it will not make the prime lenses which get mounted on it any better than they are now - in fact like any adaptor with optics it has to subtly degrade them, even if just a little. And if the existing optics, being retrofocus designs, can't quite compete with a good Scheider or Rodenstock mounted on, fopr example, a Cambo Wide body, then you know that the best quality will require a more traditional looking setup!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 05:58:07 am by tashley »

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
Miniature view camera
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 06:11:29 am »

Arca Swiss made their old F line in a 6x9. I had one of every size they made (6x9, 5x7,4x5, and 8x10). I paid $300 for what the owner thought was a box of junk parts. Once I got it home and took inventory I think I was just missing a 4x5 square bellows and a short rail. I know this isn't even close to the norm but I have seen a few Arca Swiss 6x9's on lab boards around. I know a few people who still swear by them for interiors.

ynp

Miniature view camera
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 12:12:14 pm »

IMHO there is a market for a small view camera with a light and modern base. In my experience one do not need a lot of movements with digital backs,  and the cameras like Sinar P2 or even P3 offer excessive range of movements for digital. And this type of cameras is too heavy for many to be used on location.

The solution is almost here: the Sinaron electronic CMV lenses and bellows with the build-in  electronic interface are fully integrated in the CaptureShop workflow, one can set almost all the shooting parameters in the software and use live -view to focus. The only thing is missing, it is a modern and light  base. The camera makers are stuck with their film view camera models, even the P3 uses the same bearers as the 20 years old P2!

Sinar was able to build a new and very good architecture camera with Rainer's help and advice. They and the rest of view camera manufacturers shall take advice of the location shooters and offer all us a new solution. And PLEASE open the Sinar ArTec  and Sinar-M for other makes of  digital backs!

Meanwhile I will order a camera from David Klepacki (Made in the USA?).  

Yevgeny

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Miniature view camera
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 09:57:46 pm »

Sinar has another, small and light view camera built for location work: the Sinar f3

It is available with or w/o sliding adapter, has tilt/swing and all shift movements, accepts electronic CMV lenses (for tethered work) or CPL Copal lenses (for un-tethered work), accept V-mount backs as well as film, here:

http://www.sinarcameras.com/site/index__ga...13-50-1934.html

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: ynp
IMHO there is a market for a small view camera with a light and modern base. In my experience one do not need a lot of movements with digital backs,  and the cameras like Sinar P2 or even P3 offer excessive range of movements for digital. And this type of cameras is too heavy for many to be used on location.

The solution is almost here: the Sinaron electronic CMV lenses and bellows with the build-in  electronic interface are fully integrated in the CaptureShop workflow, one can set almost all the shooting parameters in the software and use live -view to focus. The only thing is missing, it is a modern and light  base. The camera makers are stuck with their film view camera models, even the P3 uses the same bearers as the 20 years old P2!

Sinar was able to build a new and very good architecture camera with Rainer's help and advice. They and the rest of view camera manufacturers shall take advice of the location shooters and offer all us a new solution. And PLEASE open the Sinar ArTec  and Sinar-M for other makes of  digital backs!

Meanwhile I will order a camera from David Klepacki (Made in the USA?).  

Yevgeny
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:43:06 pm by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

tashley

Miniature view camera
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 06:20:50 am »

Quote from: thsinar
Sinar has another, small and light view camera built for location work: the Sinar f3

Thierry

it weighs 3.3kg in its lightest incarnation! Man I 'd hate to see what you call heavy!

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Miniature view camera
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 06:55:49 am »

it all depends what one calls light or heavy, agreed!

... and yes, it does have twice the weight of the camera David Klepacki has built for himself, and I have even praised him for it (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31227): but that is another camera (no sliding adapter, tilt on the rear and swing on the front and limited bellows extension).

Nevertheless, having the f3 right beside me and having worked with it in the field and on location on many occasions, I have no problem to say that it is light, for the features it has and the possibilities it offers:

- these 3.3 kg are with sliding adapter, including focusing loupe, and with tilt/swing as well as H & V shifts on BOTH lens and image planes

Given that such a view camera is mounted on tripod to be able to use its movements, I don't see these 1.5 additional kgs being a huge problem, but here opinions differ, admittedly.

What I remember, is my holidays in Scotland and Ireland, twice and back in the 80's, with my f2 8x10", a Gitzo NĀ° 5, film magazines, etc ...: THAT was funny, speaking about weight. It gives me probably the perspective to use the word "light" today.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: tashley
it weighs 3.3kg in its lightest incarnation! Man I 'd hate to see what you call heavy!

Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

tashley

Miniature view camera
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 07:20:48 am »

Quote from: tashley
Yup, Silvestri Flexcam and Bicam (see my other thread) but otherwise everything small has only shift on no movements.

Update: sorry,as my research continues I find that the Bicam has vertical shift only until you put the bellows on it, which counts it out for me and may do for you too...  

David Klepacki

Miniature view camera
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 01:49:33 pm »

Hi Yevgeny,

Yes, I am in the USA.  I only use high grade materials (actually conform to military standards), and NOTHING comes from China.

I am already working on your camera.  It will be exactly like mine and will look and feel as if Hasselblad themselves made it  

David
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:57:21 pm by David Klepacki »

nubins

• http://www.lightboxf8.com
Miniature view camera
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 03:22:29 pm »

Thanks for all the replies.

This looks like a hot topic, hopefully the manufactures will listen and come up with something cost effective.

Right now the only thing that I can find as far as a "small" view camera is the Sinar f3 or f2 which can be bought used for a good price. THey still aren't mini like the ArcBody or FlexBody but for the cost difference I guess I can live with it.  

Jeremy

ynp

Miniature view camera
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 03:37:06 pm »

David,
Thank you very much. Very good news!!! As promised I will transfer money on Monday.

The weight of the camera is very important for me, my daughter is operating my Sinar-M with the eMotion back quite often in the galleries.  
The modified Flexbody will be perfect for a young girl to shoot in one shot mode on her carbon tripod if she feels that some
movements are needed.

Yevgeny

Quote from: David Klepacki
Hi Yevgeny,

Yes, I am in the USA.  I only use high grade materials (actually conform to military standards), and NOTHING comes from China.

I am already working on your camera.  It will be exactly like mine and will look and feel as if Hasselblad themselves made it  

David

David Klepacki

Miniature view camera
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 04:41:44 pm »

Yevgeny,

No problem.  I just weighed my camera now to double check the weight.  The body alone (including Arca-Swiss foot, but no lens, no back and no PC-Mutar) is exactly 2 pounds (0.9 kg).  With the PC-Mutar attached, it weighs slightly less then 3 pounds (1.33 kg).

I do not think she will have any difficulty at all.

David

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
Miniature view camera
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 06:05:16 pm »

Thanks for all the replies.

This looks like a hot topic, hopefully the manufactures will listen and come up with something cost effective.

Right now the only thing that I can find as far as a "small" view camera is the Sinar f3 or f2 which can be bought used for a good price. THey still aren't mini like the ArcBody or FlexBody but for the cost difference I guess I can live with it.  

Jeremy

Perhaps I'm missing something here...but surely the 6x9 arca's or similar fit this bill perfectly.
All the movements of a full F2, etc but just in a smaller and slightly lighter package...with the ability to shoot digital back or roll film back.
Can be got for not huge price (but not dirt cheap) but with great lenses to boot.

Marc
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:06:31 pm by marcwilson »
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

tashley

Miniature view camera
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 06:31:14 pm »

Quote from: marcwilson
Perhaps I'm missing something here...but surely the 6x9 arca's or similar fit this bill perfectly.
All the movements of a full F2, etc but just in a smaller and slightly lighter package...with the ability to shoot digital back or roll film back.
Can be got for not huge price (but not dirt cheap) but with great lenses to boot.

Marc

It's probably the smallest lightest answer that ticks all the boxes for functionality but it's still kinda too large and too heavy for my particular needs - I want something that i can travel with without breaking my back baggage allowance, but it has to be 'as well as' rather than 'instead of' my Phamiya 645 and 80mm lens. The Arca weighs in at well over 2 kilos, a great weight for what it is - but it should certainly be possible to make something lighter with full, accurate movements.... ?

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
Miniature view camera
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 03:40:24 am »

Hi tashley...my arca advice was in response to the o.p. and the needs they require.
Of course for different needs, such as yours, a different camera would be better.

marc
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

tashley

Miniature view camera
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 04:15:29 am »

Quote from: marcwilson
Hi tashley...my arca advice was in response to the o.p. and the needs they require.
Of course for different needs, such as yours, a different camera would be better.

marc

Hi Marc,

Just had a look at your site - there are an awful lot of really nice shots there! In particular I liked so many of your landscape and abandonded series. Where's that swimming pool? It's dead dead cool!

Do you use the Arca yourself? It certainly is, apart from the Sinar Artec, the best fir for my needs functionally...

Best

T
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up