Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem With NEC2690wuxi  (Read 12357 times)

bdkphoto

• http://www.brucekatzphoto.com
Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:49:02 pm »

I tried to calibrate my 2690 this morning with the SpectraView II software, and I get "unable to communicate with the monitor" dialog.  It worked fine before, the only thing I can think of is a problem since the 10.5.6 Mac update was installed.

Anyone else have this problem?  Any thoughts on a work around?

Bruce

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:40:42 pm »

I just ordered two of these and am using 10.5.6!!!!
I hope that's not the reason.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 06:50:52 pm »

Quote from: bdkphoto
I tried to calibrate my 2690 this morning with the SpectraView II software, and I get "unable to communicate with the monitor" dialog.  It worked fine before, the only thing I can think of is a problem since the 10.5.6 Mac update was installed.

Anyone else have this problem?  Any thoughts on a work around?

Bruce

Yes, unfortunately this is a Mac OS 10.5.6 issue on PPC based Macs (Intel based Macs are OK). Apple is working on the issue, but no word yet on when a fix will be available. It's a bit late for you now, but the recommendation is not to update to 10.5.6 if you are using a PPC.

Updated information will be posted to the NEC website when it becomes available:

http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Mo...s/spectraview2/
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

bdkphoto

Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:20:01 pm »

Quote from: WillH
Yes, unfortunately this is a Mac OS 10.5.6 issue on PPC based Macs (Intel based Macs are OK). Apple is working on the issue, but no word yet on when a fix will be available. It's a bit late for you now, but the recommendation is not to update to 10.5.6 if you are using a PPC.

Updated information will be posted to the NEC website when it becomes available:

http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Mo...s/spectraview2/

Will -

Thanks for your response, I spoke with tech support at NEC after I posted and got the same response.  I appreciate the help.  Any thoughts on a work around for the near term?  I'm hoping to avoid having to downgrade to 10.5.5.

WillH

Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 01:48:36 am »

Quote from: bdkphoto
Will -

Thanks for your response, I spoke with tech support at NEC after I posted and got the same response.  I appreciate the help.  Any thoughts on a work around for the near term?  I'm hoping to avoid having to downgrade to 10.5.5.

Your best options at this point are:

1. Downgrade to Mac OS 10.5.5

or

2. Calibrate the monitor on another Mac or PC and then move it to your PPC machine (the calibration is valid, but you will need to manually copy over the ICC profile, and make sure that the monitor is still in "Programmable" mode).

or

3. Calibrate using a 3rd party "software calibration" based package. You can download the X-Rite iOne Match software and use that until Apple has fixed Mac OS and you can use SpectraView:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx...;SoftwareID=724
Will Hollingworth

tomnash

Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:28:54 am »

Quote from: WillH
Your best options at this point are:

1. Downgrade to Mac OS 10.5.5

or

2. Calibrate the monitor on another Mac or PC and then move it to your PPC machine (the calibration is valid, but you will need to manually copy over the ICC profile, and make sure that the monitor is still in "Programmable" mode).

Will

I have just ordered a NEC LCD2690WUXI2-SV from B&H. It will be attached to a PPC Mac ... which has been upgraded to 10.5.6 (sigh!). It does not appear this problem is going to get fixed anytime soon -- or am I wrong about that??? Is it known that this problem applies to all PPC Macs with all graphic cards? Or might I get lucky?

Your option #1 above does not seem viable, at least in my situation, since Apple strongly recommends erasing the disk before downgrading.

As to Option 2, I see two possibilities. The mac has two internal disks, one with 10.5.6 and one with no OS. I could install 10.5.5 on the second disk and use that for calibration of the monitor. And then use the 10.5.6 for ordinary work. Is that a good solution?

What does your comment about being sure the monitor is still in "Programmable" mode mean (or will that be obvious when I receive and read the manual?)?

I also have an Intel based laptop. Would that be a better approach than using the second internal disk?

(The Mac is a Dual 2.7 GHz PPC G5 with an ATI Radeon X800 XT graphics card.)

Thanks for any clues.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:30:26 am by tomnash »

WillH

Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 04:44:36 pm »

I have no information on when OS 10.5.7 will be released, or confirmation that it will fix this issue, but Apple is aware of it and is working on it.

So unless you want to wait until 10.5.7 is release, personally I would recommend installing 10.5.5 on your empty partition and use that to calibrate the display. That will allow you to keep the hardware connections in place, and the only thing you need to to is copy over and associate the display profile when you reboot on your main partition with 10.5.6.

If you calibrate on a different machine it will be a bit more messy with having to change connections (or use 2 video cables and the second video input to the display), and copy the profile from another machine rather than just a different partition.

The Programmable mode is configured from the On Screen Display menu. Once you go into the Advanced menu it is fairly obvious.

Best regards
Will Hollingworth

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 06:55:08 pm »

I have been corresponding with Will at NEC [thanks for all yout assistance Will] about this issue - the 2690WUXi on an intel based mac pro with 10.5.6 - and can confirm that there are 'no communications' - problem more or less identified as 10.5.6 as above.

Not sure what to do now.. install earlier version of mac osx or use X-Rite software or wait for the .7 update...

What a complete PITA.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:56:35 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 03:21:05 pm »

Looks like I'm screwed too - MacBookPro July 2007 version, OSX 10.5.6 with Nvidia 8600M GT chipset will not work with this monitor / software combo.

-Nik

Quote from: Josh-H
I have been corresponding with Will at NEC [thanks for all yout assistance Will] about this issue - the 2690WUXi on an intel based mac pro with 10.5.6 - and can confirm that there are 'no communications' - problem more or less identified as 10.5.6 as above.

Not sure what to do now.. install earlier version of mac osx or use X-Rite software or wait for the .7 update...

What a complete PITA.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:11:52 pm by nik »

bokehcambodia

• bokehcambodia
Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 04:22:59 am »

Apple Insider reports today that

"Among the nearly two dozen other components receiving attention in beta of Mac OS X 10.5.7 are graphics drivers, Time Machine, printing services, screen sharing services, MobileMe syncing, AirPort services, text services, and iCal, those familiar with the software claim.
Mac OS X 10.5.7 will represent the seventh incremental update to Leopard since the software hit the market in late October of 2007. It's expected to be released sometime in the coming months.

Just a matter of weeks now till the screen works...
Also is the v2 out yet bundled with SpectraView?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 04:23:49 am by CamboMike »

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 05:43:35 pm »

After some help from Will and a re-install of 1.1, I got mine to work perfectly on 10.5.6. Now to match some prints...

Thanks Will.

-N

Quote from: nik
Looks like I'm screwed too - MacBookPro July 2007 version, OSX 10.5.6 with Nvidia 8600M GT chipset will not work with this monitor / software combo.

-Nik

Josh-H

Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 07:52:27 pm »

Quote from: CamboMike
Apple Insider reports today that

"Among the nearly two dozen other components receiving attention in beta of Mac OS X 10.5.7 are graphics drivers, Time Machine, printing services, screen sharing services, MobileMe syncing, AirPort services, text services, and iCal, those familiar with the software claim.
Mac OS X 10.5.7 will represent the seventh incremental update to Leopard since the software hit the market in late October of 2007. It's expected to be released sometime in the coming months.

Just a matter of weeks now till the screen works...
Also is the v2 out yet bundled with SpectraView?

Well 10.5.7 is now out - and I have downloaded and installed on my intel mac pro and it still DOESNT work. Grrrrr...

Spectraview II still detects the 2690Wuxi monitor on launch, but throws a no communications message - same as under 10.5.6.

Tried re-installing the spectraview 2 software after 10.5.7 update and still no joy.

Bloody annoying. Pull your finger out Apple.

No idea what to do now......(might be time to sell the monitor and buy an Eizo)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:53:24 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

tomnash

Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 05:21:23 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
Well 10.5.7 is now out - and I have downloaded and installed on my intel mac pro and it still DOESNT work. Grrrrr...

Spectraview II still detects the 2690Wuxi monitor on launch, but throws a no communications message - same as under 10.5.6.

My understanding was the Spectraview II worked with Intel Macs, but not PPC, under 10.5.6 so you should not have had a problem (??)

Anyway, I was having a problem with Spectraview II on a G5 PPC under 10.5.6 and that has been resolved with 10.5.7 which I just installed. So, I am finally a happy camper. Spectraview II worked just fine and monitor is nicely calibrated.

bdkphoto

Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 07:09:35 pm »

Quote from: tomnash
My understanding was the Spectraview II worked with Intel Macs, but not PPC, under 10.5.6 so you should not have had a problem (??)

Anyway, I was having a problem with Spectraview II on a G5 PPC under 10.5.6 and that has been resolved with 10.5.7 which I just installed. So, I am finally a happy camper. Spectraview II worked just fine and monitor is nicely calibrated.

I just loaded 10.5.7 and it resolved the issues with my PPC, the computer now sees the monitor and I can calibrate it once again with Specrtraview II.

I am a happy camper as well.

Josh-H

Problem With NEC2690wuxi
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 08:20:45 pm »

Quote from: tomnash

According to NEC's website you are correct - however, I can tell you I am having big communications issues - aka. It dont work -on my intel mac pro.

I am working with NEC USA and NEC Australia to try and resolve the issue - my monitor was manufactured approx. 2007, so we are looking at either upgrading the monitors firmware or possibly replacement to try and resolve the issue.

Edit - for the outcome of this - see my post here: SpectraView Outcome
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 12:09:32 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up