Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1Ds MSRP vs. Street Price  (Read 4751 times)

KBuckland

Canon 1Ds MSRP vs. Street Price
« on: October 03, 2002, 12:52:37 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']How (and where) do you get on a waiting list for a 1Ds?[/font]

KBuckland

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 11:54:21 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Thanks, Jeffrey.

Karen[/font]

jwarthman

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 10:18:02 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Howard,
Much has been written about the 1Ds, and somewhat less, I think, about the Kodak DCS Pro 14n. I could give you some generalities, but you'd be better served by reading the online reviews of the two cameras. Try these for starters:

robgalbraith review of the eos1ds

robgalbraith review of the DCS Pro 14n

As for the generalities, the DCS Pro 14n will probably cost less than the 1Ds, but we won't know how the street prices compare until they're both for sale.

The DCS Pro 14n will make higher resolution images than the 1Ds.

One report says the DCS Pro 14n will not include an anti-aliasing filter. If true, it'll be interesting to see how the images look compared with those of the 1Ds.

Good Luck!

-- Jim[/font]

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2002, 04:29:00 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Strengths and Weaknesses, you may already have this info, but IMO the perhaps-only significant differences between the 1D and 1Ds are the resolution and frame rate.  The 1D is relatively low and quite high, while the 1Ds is quite high and relatively low, respectively.  Another difference, very significant to those of us who do a lot of wide-angle fotografy, is that the 1Ds no longer suffers from an angle-of-view divisor (known incorrectly and more commonly as a lens-length-multiplier factor), since it has a sensor that's virtually the same size as a 35mm frame.  

Is more-than-double overall resolution worth the $3K-higher price plus giving up the 1D's high frame rate?  It is for me and I've ordered one.  Only you can determine that for yourself.[/font]

jwarthman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2002, 02:05:31 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Many folks are comparing the 1Ds with the new Kodak camera, in terms of features and price. While interesting, I think this is the wrong comparison.

For me, a more meaningful comparison is the 1D with the 1Ds. Clearly there are many similarities between the two. One might begin by thinking of the two cameras at the same price, then make adjustments to account for differences in the two bodies.

Well, hopefully the 1Ds will produce higher quality images - which would put a premium on the 1Ds over the 1D.

But wait! The 1Ds is also much slower than the 1D, which (for a different market) places a premium on the 1D.

Of course the cameras are targeted at different types of photography. But each camera has strenghts AND WEAKNESSES compared with the other. It's not obvious, based on that, why the 1Ds would be any more expensive than the 1D. Well, unless we place more value on number of pixels than on speed... Landscape/studio work over sports? Hmmm...

So, with the recent reductions in the street price of the 1D, why would we expect the street price of the 1Ds to "settle" at more than $5,000?

I am at the top of several waiting lists for the 1Ds. Unless I can get the 1Ds at a small premium over the 1D, these cameras will go to the next people on the waiting lists!

Enjoy!

-- Jim[/font]

Jeffrey Behr

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2002, 01:42:42 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']K, call your local Canon dealer and see if they've started a list, or call Best Price A.V. in Ohio (800/982-8273); they have.[/font]

Strengths and weaknesses

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2002, 09:39:15 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Dear Jim,

Would you mind sharing what you feel to be the 'Strengths and weaknesses' of the 2 cameras? It might help me to decide.

Regards.....Howard[/font]

Doug_Dolde

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2002, 04:00:22 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']HERE is a good comparison between the Canon and Kodak.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up