Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yosemite  (Read 8165 times)

Hugh Sakols, El Portal, CA

Yosemite
« on: February 20, 2004, 11:08:23 am »

I would look at staying in El Portal,CA.  Either the Yosemite View Lodge (closest) or the Cedar Lodge.  El Portal is on Hwy 140 along the Merced River.  In March the flowers, redbud, and buckeye should be looking good. You may even prefer the Merced Canyon to Yosemite Valley.

Graham Welland

Yosemite
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 11:42:08 am »

It makes a huge difference being in the valley if you want the early morning stuff. Remember, you can get an AC convertor for your car to charge things like batteries etc if necessary.

Avoid the weekend if you can. Early to mid-week is much better. I just spent a couple of days there at the beginning of Feb and even then there was a big difference between Thu/Fri and the weekend. It's not the people so much as their vehicles abandoned throughout the morning scenary.

If you can get into Yosemite Lodge then that's the best in-valley decent affordable location. Even in Feb I could only get one night there though mid-week and stayed at the Ahwahnee for the last couple of nights. (Nice but $$$).
Graham

EF

Yosemite
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 02:01:49 am »

Sean..

I too recommend the Yosemite View Lodge.  It's close - it's nice - it's cheap $85 - and looking real quick at availability in March - it's wide open.

You're just a few minutes outside the park...

Take care and have a great trip!

Bill
Yosemite View and Cedar Lodge are operated by the same company. CL is a few minutes outside of the park (~5 miles) but YV is literally seconds from the park's 140 entrance. These 2 would be my only  choice for outside picks. Other establishments are simply too far if you need to hit the valley everyday for sunrise and sunset. Book a room with Jaccuzzi, you will need it after a long day ...

EF

Yosemite
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 01:20:17 pm »

I'm going to stay at your recomendation - the Yosemite View Lodge the first night (I'm going to arrive too late to drive through the park).
If you can book a room in the park, by all means do it. The drive from Yosemite view to the lodges in the park is less than 15 minutes on perfect pavement. You may also save the $20 after the station closes, although morally you should still find a place to pay later.

sglicata

Yosemite
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 10:57:38 am »

Hello,

I'm going to be in the Bay area on business the second week in March, and am planning to extending my stay and visiting Yosemite to take some pictures.

Unfortunately, given the short notice, accomodations in the valley are limited.  All that seems to be available is the Curry tent village - their reservations line tells me that the tents do not have electricity so I can't charge my equipment batteries.

So ...

I'm thinking about staying at one of the many hotels just outside of the park and driving in every day.  

Does anyone have any advice for this?  Recommended hotels, shooting locations, etc.,

I'm a little worried that staying outside of the park, and having to get up early enough to arrive at the shooting destination before sunrise will be problematic.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Sean Licata
sean@ginks.net

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Yosemite
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 11:42:04 am »

There are decent motels at a number of towns outside the park: Mariposa, Oakhurst, El Portal, etc.   The closest is El Portal, which is about a half hour drive to Yosemite Valley; the rest are a little farther (45+ minutes, I think).  Just don't stay at Lee Vining, which is the closest town to the eastern entrance to the park, this time of year; the pass between there and the park is closed for the winter.  The two places at El Portal that the previous post mentioned are both very nice (I've stayed at both several times); Yosemite View Lodge is a few minutes closer and very spiffy (jacuzzi tubs and the like), but is very expensive, while Cedar Lodge is moderately priced.  Cheaper places can probably be found at Mariposa and Oakhurst.  The best dining is definitely in Yosemite Valley, though.

And, this time of year, be prepared for snow.  If a storm comes in, you'll need tire chains.  On the other hand, if a storm comes in, you'll get absolutely gorgeous photos after it clears:
http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor....e2.html

Enjoy!

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

blangton

• http://photography.blangton.com
Yosemite
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 09:29:24 pm »

Sean..

I too recommend the Yosemite View Lodge.  It's close - it's nice - it's cheap $85 - and looking real quick at availability in March - it's wide open.

You're just a few minutes outside the park...

Take care and have a great trip!

Bill
Bill Langton (blangton@blangton.com)  AR

sglicata

Yosemite
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 10:45:00 am »

Thanks all for your advice.

I've just gotten lucky.  Just called and the Yosemite lodge in the valley must have had a cancellation.  I'm booked there for my trip.  

I'm going to stay at your recomendation - the Yosemite View Lodge the first night (I'm going to arrive too late to drive through the park).

Sean

Howard Smith

Yosemite
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 01:18:54 pm »

Yosemite Lodge holds a large block of rooms for tour buses.  If they are "full," hang around until the buses check in.  Frequently they have rooms after that.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Yosemite
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 12:06:35 am »

There are also the Yosemite Gatehouse Lodge and Yosmite Westgate motel on highway 120 between Groveland and the park.  The 120 entrance to the park is about 20 minutes from the valley floor, and these hotels are roughly 15 minutes from the 120 entrance.   Groveland is a neat little town with some very good restaurants and the oldest operating bar in California, the "Iron Door Saloon", which has been in operation since the late 1800's.

Also, I am not sure if the 140 entrance is still one way only -- different directions at different times of the day -- it used to be that way.

jack
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up