Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazon storefronts  (Read 2739 times)

DarkPenguin

Amazon storefronts
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:18:48 am »

So I'm looking at a G1.  $700 is the typical price for one.  One of the Amazon storefronts has it for about $100 less.  Anyone had any experience with Amazon's guarantees regarding their storefronts?  I'm willing to risk a fly by night company if Amazon will actually back it.  Just not sure if that backing has hundreds of flaming hoops to jump through.

Any experience?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Amazon storefronts
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 05:49:48 pm »

Anyone had any experience with Amazon's guarantees regarding their storefronts?  I'm willing to risk a fly by night company if Amazon will actually back it.
Any experience?
[/quote]
I received a damaged HVLP hose from an Amazon storefront operation.  The exchange went smoothly, but Amazon had nothing to do with it, the remedy was entirely between me and the storefront.  Nothing ever led me to think Amazon would necessarily step in if the transaction didn't work out.  Look at the storefront's feedback ratings, they are much more objective than those ebay.

DarkPenguin

Amazon storefronts
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 06:17:09 pm »

Thanks for the information.

The Amazon coverage is designed to protect against complete fraud.  Their (the store front) ratings look pretty good at 95% positive so I would expect that I wouldn't have to deal with Amazon.  But I'm pretty much a B+H, Adorama, or KEH or nothing kind of shopper so I like to be sure before I go with someone else.

lightstand

Amazon storefronts
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:40:26 pm »

I have no experience as a buyer, but instead as a seller selling some of my used gear on Amazon as an individual. It has been great for selling some of the books on my bookshelves. Recently I sold a tripod head where after weeks of the buyer having the Bogen Pan Tilt head he is claiming it was broken upon arrival. No chance of that! I packed it well and know it was in perfect working condition. He of course doesn't want to ship it back and Amazon has told me with their A thur Z guarantee he is guaranteed a refund. Not sure if this story is applicable to your question. jeff

p.s. there is a forum about selling/buying on Amazon that you might want to ask your question at
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:42:35 pm by lightstand »

Petrjay

Amazon storefronts
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 09:46:06 am »

Four or five years ago, I bought a power cord for an Acer laptop from a company on Amazon Marketplace. ( I think the Company was named Brilliant or something like that) It was advertised as new, but it was obviously used and the plastic surrounding the jack had been whittled down with a knife to fit an Acer. . It was a poor fit, though it did work as long as I didn't move the computer around on my desk. I complained to Amazon and was informed that the company I bought it from had no connection with Amazon other than their being listed on Amazon Marketplace, and my quarrel was with them, not Amazon. I only used the Acer for online Poker; the unit did work in a fashion and it only cost $50 US so I let it go and considered myself warned. I won't buy anything from Amazon unless it's listed as being shipped from Amazon itself or it's coming from a company I know.

DarkPenguin

Amazon storefronts
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 10:19:14 am »

Quote from: Petrjay
Four or five years ago, I bought a power cord for an Acer laptop from a company on Amazon Marketplace. ( I think the Company was named Brilliant or something like that) It was advertised as new, but it was obviously used and the plastic surrounding the jack had been whittled down with a knife to fit an Acer. . It was a poor fit, though it did work as long as I didn't move the computer around on my desk. I complained to Amazon and was informed that the company I bought it from had no connection with Amazon other than their being listed on Amazon Marketplace, and my quarrel was with them, not Amazon. I only used the Acer for online Poker; the unit did work in a fashion and it only cost $50 US so I let it go and considered myself warned. I won't buy anything from Amazon unless it's listed as being shipped from Amazon itself or it's coming from a company I know.

So far as I can tell Amazon has to actually do the billing.  If the billing is through the other company then you have to deal with them.  But if amazon charged you you have rights.
Pages: [1]   Go Up