Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: full size clip/crop in LR?  (Read 1776 times)

howardm

full size clip/crop in LR?
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:05:03 am »

Hopefully this is a simple thing that I'm just not seeing.

I want to print some large stuff (pano's, 17x22 or so) but I'm not sure how well the image will hold up to enlargement like that.

So, what I want to do is figure out what the dpi would be at the final papersize (like 13x38) and then be able to set a clip mask (or
something like that) on the blown up image and print that to a small 5x7 to evaluate detailed sections of the image w/o wasting the
full size sheets.

example:  when I put an image (in LR2.2) up to 13x38 (w/ full cell size), LR tells me I get 139dpi (ok, thats going to be poor output but
this is an example).  so now I want to create cropped section of the image, AT 139dpi and send that to the printer to print on 5x7.

Can LR do that in the print module (or even develop) or do I have to round-trip to PS and mess w/ image/document size, etc etc  ??

Thanks,
Howard

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:15:11 am »

Make a virtual copy of your test images.

Apply the desired crop to the virtual copy.

Go to the Print Module.

Choose your desired print dimensions for this small cropped area (e.g., 6" x 6").

Uncheck the Print Resolution box.

Print.
Eric Chan

howardm

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 10:48:19 am »

Thanks much Eric.

Not clear though.  I would have thought that I would *want* to check the Print Resolution box and enter 139.

W/o checking it, the dimensions box and the print scale up to the max size of the smaller paper and it tells me I'm now printing @ 52 dpi

although it seems like could also bring down the cell size slider till it reads 139 and I get whatever size image (2.1 x 1.9)  I get on the 5x7 piece of paper but that would be an accurate reflection of placing a clip mask on an image that would be a final size of 13x38 @ 139

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 06:24:05 pm »

LR is not really the tool of choice for this. You are better off in Photoshop.

Set the image to the full size you want in cm or inches without resampling, let the dpi fall where it may.

Go to the print dialog as normal, choose say A5 or 5x7 as a paper size and you'll see the image does not fit in the preview window (as you'd expect). Now deselect the 'centre image' check box and you can now drag the image around within the preview window so it prints the bit you want on the size sheet you want.

HTH
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

howardm

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:11:35 pm »

thanks Nick.  That certainly sounds like a reasonable method although I am trying to avoid the PS round-trip if possible
Pages: [1]   Go Up