Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital back merging in Moore's law?  (Read 2179 times)

abcdefghi_rstuvwxyz

Digital back merging in Moore's law?
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:22:25 pm »

I've dreamed of a medium format digital back since two years  ago. I found the unsed unit price is following the trend of dropping 2x each year.

Very recently, ebay has several 36mm x 36mm / 16MB digital backs got skipped with the price ~$3000. A year ago the similar unit would be sold for ~$7500~$9000.
I can understand why 36mm x 36mm is not so much desired, as it is too close to the 36mm x 24mm FF. In many way a 35mm FF DSLR would be much cheaper and convenient, body-wise and system-wise.
Even the 48mmx 36mm MFDB is dropping the price. One without built-in flash memory slot is now below $5000 (and still likely to be skipped) . So it's about 2x more expensive than the 36mmx36mm.

With this trend, I'm expecting affordable (i.e., close to a high end FF DSLR) 48mm x 36mm MFDB in the used market by the end of 2009.

I think medium format camera will quickly pick up the volumn after that.

michaelnotar

Digital back merging in Moore's law?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:58:45 pm »

ya look at the desparate sales on here, if you saved some money its a time to buy, assuming you really need it. coupled with a hard year hopefully it will be more aggressive. my P25 is sold old by todays standards, i am looking forward to the day that a P45 is affordable or about 1/2 what it is now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up