Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100ps GP and Waiting for a new version of the Mac Pro  (Read 1837 times)

Edhopkins

HP Z3100ps GP and Waiting for a new version of the Mac Pro
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:20:06 am »

We have had a HP Z3100 for about a year and a quarter. Soon after we got it, Apple came out with a new operating system, Leopard (10.5). I waited a few weeks and updated my operating system, assuming that, of course, the the HP drivers for the Z3100 and the APS (advanced profiling system) would be updated too.)  This move on my part was a disaster that it took me two weeks to recover from. There was not new 10.5 compatible software--drivers and APS--for at least 6 months.

I have a Mac G4 and need to get a bigger desktop Mac.  I cannot even upgrade to Photoshop CS4. I am waiting for a successor, long overdue successor, to the Mac Pro.

Am I being foolish?  Isn't there a good chance that a new Mac desk top might have new innards and a new operating system such that the HP software that I need to keep printing without interruption will not work on it?  For all I know it might not even be possible with the new Mac desk top to fall back to 10.5 and use the 10.5 compatible HP drivers and APS.

I want to get the most powerful Mac that I can and I know that the next desk top will be significantly more powerful than the current one.  But is planning on getting one shortly after they come out  a bad plan? Is the shrewd conservative thing to do to buy a end of its life Mac Pro which plays will with the HP z3100 drivers and the APS?  

Any advice from those of your who have vastly more years under your belt in this world of big printers, slow updates and new platforms and operating systems?

thanks

Ed
Baltimore

garyfcampbell

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:15:32 pm »

There is a very fast new Intel processor called Nehalem coming out in early spring.  I would wait to upgrade a MacPro until Apple releases with Nehalem.

I don't think you should have a problem with the Z3100 drivers and the new MacPro.  The Leopard problem was APS itself, solved by using the EyeOne software until APS was updated.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 03:05:57 am »

Quote from: garyfcampbell
There is a very fast new Intel processor called Nehalem coming out in early spring.  I would wait to upgrade a MacPro until Apple releases with Nehalem.

I don't think you should have a problem with the Z3100 drivers and the new MacPro.  The Leopard problem was APS itself, solved by using the EyeOne software until APS was updated.
I will have to wait for the next best thing then!

I just upgraded to Leopard on my MAc Pro. I had been running the portable on Leopard for some time now.

I don't have the Z3100PS model any longer but do have a 3200 up and running without too many problems under Leopard.

APS sometimes gives a cannot save profile to printer error, yet unresolved. It does however save the profiles to the system, and I can save out the measurement files .

So it seems like it should be fine, and any major faults are probably gone.

Edhopkins

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:51:45 am »

Thanks to those who replied.  I will wait for the new version of the MacPro based on the advice given.

I will upgrade my current G4 to Leopard and put in the latest drivers and firmware for the HP z3100ps GP.  

(I will hedge my bets though by keeping my G4 available as a print driver for a while.  If I have trouble with the new mac, I can keep printing by sending the prints to the G4.  I will be using the new mac for photoshop cs4 and its faster processing speed.)

thanks

ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up