Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A still life, dereliction.  (Read 3640 times)

vorlich

A still life, dereliction.
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:49:02 am »

I haven't seen a great deal of this type of thing here at LL, particularly as it's reasonably heavily processed, but hopefully not too OTT.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this image. I'd hoped to catch the movement in the net curtain a bit better than I actually did. I have titled it 'When the Wind Blows' as a reference to this. Hopefully the title amplifies the subject matter.

[attachment=11034:wtwb.jpg]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:27:36 am »

Overall I think it's well done.  Maybe a little too dark, but that's just me.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

button

• http://
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:38:17 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Overall I think it's well done.  Maybe a little too dark, but that's just me.

Mike.

I like the mood created by the window light and the tone of the walls.  I'd prefer to see some detail in the shadows of the objects beneath the window.  They seem too contrasty for me.  Also, maybe tone down their sheen.  These changes might add a bit of mystery.

John
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:39:57 am by button »

John R

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 01:41:28 pm »

Quote from: button
I like the mood created by the window light and the tone of the walls.  I'd prefer to see some detail in the shadows of the objects beneath the window.  They seem too contrasty for me.  Also, maybe tone down their sheen.  These changes might add a bit of mystery.

John
I see the light was too strong too allow more shadow detail. In my opinion, the image is well balanced. The black areas are distributed and well balanced against the rest of the scene, including the white areas. It looks good, and for me, it evokes desolation and destruction and a little sadness.

John R.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:42:14 pm by John R »

vorlich

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:33:30 am »

Quote from: John R
I see the light was too strong too allow more shadow detail. In my opinion, the image is well balanced. The black areas are distributed and well balanced against the rest of the scene, including the white areas. It looks good, and for me, it evokes desolation and destruction and a little sadness.

John R.

Thanks all, I did have some detail in those shdow areas to work with, I may try another version with some of the detail restored for comparison.

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:57:53 am »

Well done.  To my way of thinking, this would be an interesting exercise in HDR and tone mapping techniques although I'll grant that the billowing curtain might be a problem.  

Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

Bartone

• http://bartonephotography.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:48:56 am »

Choose a word. What is the art about - what's it saying. I think 'darker', more abandoned (but as they say 'that's just me'). Also, too many centers of attention - just remove something - it's too distracting - too much glass. you can PS some of that, or choose a different pic. I like the room though (reminds me of my college days).

bartone

LukeH

• http://
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 02:20:54 am »

I like the look of it. It's dirty and gritty and the darkness really emphasises that there's a story behind the grime. Well done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up