Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The intangibles - how they affect images  (Read 2485 times)

pminicucci

The intangibles - how they affect images
« on: March 12, 2005, 06:48:27 pm »

Lin:
Your post and Website are a treat. There is something eerie about the clarity in those images.
Best,
Pat

Lin Evans

• http://www.lin-evans.net
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 10:56:09 am »

I assume from your comments that you've not done any post-processing on the images and that sharpness is 'straight form the camera'?

I'm quite intrigued by the out of focus areas of the shots, which look quite unusual. On the Yote 1800 image for instance, some of the dry grass in the top right hand corner appears to be doubled up (or cloned). Is that an effect of the camera's sharpness?

The Sigma cameras only capture RAW and sharpness is set at the time of conversion by the Sigma SPP conversion software. There has been no post conversion USM applied to any of these but SPP has it's own sharpening levels.

No cloning was done so what you see is in the shot is how the sensor captured it. The OOF areas are a bit different than you generally see with a bayer processed image. The coyote was shot with a Sigma 80-400 OS (stabilized) zoom at 250mm (425mm effective), F/8.0, ISO 100, 1/400th. If you look at some of the OOF areas of the coyote lying down you will also see that the grass in front and directly behind has a "doubled" effect. This is a characteristic of the sensor and lens and may be due to the inherent sharpness.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin

Lin Evans

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 01:24:00 pm »

It's simply due to the bokeh of the lens. I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you shot an OOF point light source that instead of getting a smooth disk you'd see something resembling a ring or donut.

Actually, there are elements of both. The same lens on a Canon, Nikon or Fuji produces
a quite different appearance.

Below is an example of how the Sigma handles reflections. These two images were taken
a few seconds apart. The upper with my Olympus E10 and the lower with my SD10
and a Sigma 15-30. Of course the focal length has an effect as well, but observe the
reflections from the bumper on both....

Lin

Lin

Lin Evans

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 06:30:23 pm »

As many of you know, I love to experiment with different equipment. Though I use dSLR's, digital MF backs and some fixed lens digicams professionally, I like to try different combinations and have found that some work better for me for certain tasks.

Lately, I've been enjoying my Sigma SD10 which is somewhat of a "specialty" camera but produces striking images with a certain "intangible" but intriguing quality which I'm having a difficult time quantifying. When Sigma first released their SD9 digicam I purchased the first one available in Colorado. After a few weeks I decided that I couldn't afford to purchase a whole new lens system (I already had Nikon and Canon) so I passed it on to a friend in Switzerland who still uses it. When the SD10 became available I purchased one but didn't get a decent lens for it so I put it away and didn't really use it for about a year. Finally I decided to buy a few decent lenses and I've become addicted!

The SD10 produces a 3.4 megapixel file from 10.3 million photodiode sampling sites. The Foveon processor directly samples RGB and produces one display pixel from the three primary samples in the three dimensional array. There is no antialiasing filter, and the edge roll-off (border between detail object and adjacent background) is very abrupt producing an incredible true sharpness which just can't be matched by my other six dSLR's (Canon D30, 10D, 1D, 1D Mark II, 1DS, Kodak DCS-760). It resolves to single pixel definition and has about the same black and white resolution as a good six megapixel Canon, Fuji or Nikon but resolves color better than my 11 megapixel 1DS.

The camera has serious limitations. With good lighting it does very well to ISO 800, but is terrible for exposures longer than about 13 seconds. Since it only produces a RAW image which varies from six to ten megabytes in size, the buffer fills rapidly and on about 9 quick successive shots are possible before I have to wait for the buffer to clear before shooting again. Autofocus is relatively slow (compared to Canon or Kodak), and there are not multiple AF sites, but the autofocus accuracy is better than any of my other dSLR's.

There is a 1.7x crop factor, so wide angle is not easy but I rarely need better than the 25.5mm I get with my 15-30 at the wide end. Of course only Sigma lenses can be used unless one is willing to modify a Canon lens by affixing a Sigma mount (it's been done and it does work).

But oh that image quality! It's hard to pin down, but the additional color and extreme clarity possible gives the images a distinct appearance which seems to have a dimensionality I just don't get from my other cameras. Dynamic range is truly excellent with shadow detail being much better than even my 1D Mark II and it's quite rare to blow highlights. The SD10 is a true joy to use in the snow. The ability to pick up detail in the whites is truly amazing compared to my other cameras.

I've become so intrigued with the camera for wildlife I'm considering purchasing the Sigma 300-800. Now if they would only put this sensor in my 1D Mark II body I would truly love it! It's sure never going to be an action camera of let me get great birds in flight shots, but for stills and landscapes it's truly a joy to use. The images interpolate beautifully and for the right subjects poster sized images are a snap. For those looking for alternatives for specialized work it's definitely something to consider.

Stop by my site and click on the Sigma SD10 link. Click on the thumbnails for an 800x600 (aprox) then on the 800x600 for a 1024x683 (aprox)....

Lin
http://www.lin-evans.net
Lin

QuantumTiger

• http://www.quantumtiger.org/
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 04:14:09 am »

Very interesting. Some stunning shots.

I assume from your comments that you've not done any post-processing on the images and that sharpness is 'straight form the camera'?

I'm quite intrigued by the out of focus areas of the shots, which look quite unusual. On the Yote 1800 image for instance, some of the dry grass in the top right hand corner appears to be doubled up (or cloned). Is that an effect of the camera's sharpness?
QT

[url=http://www.quantumtiger.o

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 11:42:29 am »

It's simply due to the bokeh of the lens. I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you shot an OOF point light source that instead of getting a smooth disk you'd see something resembling a ring or donut.

Lin Evans

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 11:43:03 pm »

After posting the above I realized that some may think I'm referring to the star pattern but
that's not the point. The issue is the dispersion of light. The star pattern is different in the
two cameras because of the number of blades on the lens diaphram but look at this
300% enlargement and you can see the antialiasing filter effect and the dramatic difference
in light dispersion between the two.

Lin
Pages: [1]   Go Up