Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RE partitioning a hard drive  (Read 4066 times)

marcmccalmont

RE partitioning a hard drive
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:23:21 am »

I was replacing one of my notebooks (HP9000t) hard drives and used migrate easy to repartition and transfer data to the new drive. I found the boot drive would not allow me to repartition it as a larger partition on the new drive. The second drive (non boot) re-partitions to larger sizes fine. I don't think it is anything to do with the drive or the OS but some "lock" that HP put on the root partition when they burned the original drive. Does any one have a solution?
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:29:01 pm »

Marc, I've used Symantec/Norton Ghost and Acronis Disk Director to repartition drives many times, I've never had a 'lock' situation, I don't think it's possible.  It might be that you cannot resize the active boot partition while you're booted from it, or that you have to reduce the size of the 2nd partition (of the new drive) 1st before you can extend the boot partition into the new free space. Also, have you tried booting from a CD and then run the partition resize?

Acronis let's you resize from the active boot partition.

-N

stamper

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 03:21:36 am »

Quote from: nik
Marc, I've used Symantec/Norton Ghost and Acronis Disk Director to repartition drives many times, I've never had a 'lock' situation, I don't think it's possible.  It might be that you cannot resize the active boot partition while you're booted from it, or that you have to reduce the size of the 2nd partition (of the new drive) 1st before you can extend the boot partition into the new free space. Also, have you tried booting from a CD and then run the partition resize?

Acronis let's you resize from the active boot partition.

-N

You have to do it from safe mode!

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 05:28:31 am »

I've tried out side of windows from a bootable disk and from the safe mode and no go
Works as advertised on my second disk but not on my primary disk. If I migrate as is to a new disk
install that then try to resize to a third disk that doesn't work either?
Marc

PS works as advertised on my Dell just not on my HP????????
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:29:43 am by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

stamper

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 04:09:31 am »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
I've tried out side of windows from a bootable disk and from the safe mode and no go
Works as advertised on my second disk but not on my primary disk. If I migrate as is to a new disk
install that then try to resize to a third disk that doesn't work either?
Marc

PS works as advertised on my Dell just not on my HP????????

Have tried the original disc that came with Acronis? That is the installation disc?

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 04:50:30 am »

Quote from: stamper
Have tried the original disc that came with Acronis? That is the installation disc?
Yes I burned a bootable disk for acronis and tried it outside of windows, no luck and burned a bootable windows disk and tried repair outside of windows and it would not recognize the hard drives. The computer functions fine though?
Marc
Marc McCalmont

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 12:50:53 am »

Marc, a few questions -

- is the hp laptop the dv9000t?
- can you tell what the partition types are (ntfs/fat/fat32)?
- what s the BIOS / Firmware level of the laptop and HDD? (are there upgrades available?)
- if you put another "NEW" drive in the HP, can you have a larger partition than your problematic boot partition/drive?
- what is the size (GB) of the problematic partition ?

BTW, Hawi is a beautiful part of the world!

-N

Quote from: stamper
You have to do it from safe mode!

stamper

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:30:54 am »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
Yes I burned a bootable disk for acronis and tried it outside of windows, no luck and burned a bootable windows disk and tried repair outside of windows and it would not recognize the hard drives. The computer functions fine though?
Marc

At the risk of sounding pedantic? The last time I done it I used the original installation disc. I don't know how it differs from a bootable disc?
Pages: [1]   Go Up