Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Z3100 has Insomnia  (Read 5428 times)

davisf8

My Z3100 has Insomnia
« on: January 20, 2009, 07:40:54 am »

Just happened to notice recently that my HP Z3100 44" printer is not going to sleep. It always did before. I turned it off the other day thinking maybe something would re-set. Turned it back on came back a day later and it was awake.

Anyone else having this problem?
I did upgrade to latest driver and firmware a few weeks ago. Aren't upgrades supposed to make things better!!!

Alan

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:10:38 pm »

Quote from: davisf8
Just happened to notice recently that my HP Z3100 44" printer is not going to sleep. It always did before. I turned it off the other day thinking maybe something would re-set. Turned it back on came back a day later and it was awake.

I did upgrade to latest driver and firmware a few weeks ago. Aren't upgrades supposed to make things better!!!

Alan
I had this issue turn up after a firmware upgrade last summer.  I didn't change anything except for upgrading the firmware, and suddenly my printer stopped going to sleep.  It turned out to be a ping from my router that it was networked through that was waking it up each time, and I was able to reconfigure the router to take care of the problem.  The new firmware was just more sensitive to this behavior from the router than it was previously.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

abaazov

• http://
My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:30:01 am »

Quote from: Colorwave
I had this issue turn up after a firmware upgrade last summer.  I didn't change anything except for upgrading the firmware, and suddenly my printer stopped going to sleep.  It turned out to be a ping from my router that it was networked through that was waking it up each time, and I was able to reconfigure the router to take care of the problem.  The new firmware was just more sensitive to this behavior from the router than it was previously.
Hi Ron,
can i know what exactly you changed in your router configuration to fix the problem? i seem to have the same issue.
TIA
Amnon

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:51:57 pm »

Quote from: abaazov
Hi Ron,
can i know what exactly you changed in your router configuration to fix the problem? i seem to have the same issue.
TIA
Amnon
Eeeks!  I remember fixing the problem more than the specifics of exactly what I did.  It was at the suggestion of someone at HP tech support. I think it was the setting for DHCP lease time, where the router assigns IP addresses.  Mine is now set to forever, but to be honest, my memory is a little rusty.  I'm in the very last stages of a move from San Francisco to Hawaii and this was at the other end of the process for me, so my memory is a little vague on the specifics.  Too much stuff going on around me for me to hang on to everything that enters my brain pan.  Sorry that I can't be more helpful.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

ternst

My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:01:57 am »

My z3100 just did the same thing after an OS upgrade on Mac to Leopard - didn't upgrade anything on the printer. Now the printer is on 100% of the time that the computer is on but goes to sleep when the computer is asleep. Anyone have an idea? Thanks...

EvoM

My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 12:43:12 am »

Quote from: ternst
My z3100 just did the same thing after an OS upgrade on Mac to Leopard - didn't upgrade anything on the printer. Now the printer is on 100% of the time that the computer is on but goes to sleep when the computer is asleep. Anyone have an idea? Thanks...

Hey ternst did you ever find a solution to this specific sleep issue (i have the same after an upgrade also).
It okay when the computers off but when it's on, it's on !

evan

ternst

My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 07:28:08 am »

Nope - still awake all the time...I'm sure there is a simple solution.

EvoM

My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 03:45:30 am »

Nope - still awake all the time...I'm sure there is a simple solution.

Bugger! mine too, only goes to sleep when that mac is off (network still on so I know it's that mac and the newest firmware, utility etc).
Have you tried fiddling with the HP print monitor preferences? There's options for changing the times of various things but don't know if that will make a difference.

ternst, do you know if the Z3100 does it's normal maintenance when your computer is on? I haven't noticed on mine if when it's awake whether it does the maintenance or not!
I know it does it when it's asleep and the mac is off.

Evom

ternst

My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 06:00:01 am »

Evom:

I have not noticed - since I discovered Beatles radio on iTues I can't hear much of what is going on around me when I'm processing images, which is the only time I'm in that room and using that computer. Guess that is an important point so I should pay better attention! There is an obvious bug somewhere in the system since so many folks are having the same issue, but I bet it is a simple fix if someone could only figure it out and post...

EvoM

My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 10:12:49 pm »

Evom:

I have not noticed - since I discovered Beatles radio on iTues I can't hear much of what is going on around me when I'm processing images, which is the only time I'm in that room and using that computer. Guess that is an important point so I should pay better attention! There is an obvious bug somewhere in the system since so many folks are having the same issue, but I bet it is a simple fix if someone could only figure it out and post...

Better watch out the vibrations don't shake the printer and soften your prints!

Thanks ternst...we live in hope of someday finding a solution to this z3100 minor but annoying problem!

Evom

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 11:00:26 pm »

I had this problem after upgrading to Leopard and the new firmware. It was resolved for me by tossing the driver and doing a new install.

good luck

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »

Check the printer's date/time, in a DHCP environment this can cause continuous IP lease/renewals.  You might consider either:

Reserving an address in DHCP (assuming your router supports that).
Just statically config TCP/IP - easily done from printer's front panel menus.

Edit:  I'm running a mixed Mac (Leopard) and PC environment, no issues with either

Some other things to check:

Are you using the printer's built in e-mail capabilities?  Check your mail server settings.  Double check your printer DNS settings (if unsure - set to your router's address).

Unless you are actually using SNMP, turn it off ans set the community name to blank.  For that matter I would recommend turning all network services except the ones you actually use. This printer is capable of using Port 9100, LPD, or FTP for printing - turn off what you don't use....  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:54:31 pm by Joh.Murray »

ternst

My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 07:23:16 am »

I've never touched any of these settings and in fact don't even know how to - just plug in the printer and it works. It worked until the latest drivers and Leopard that is - everything is exactly the same as before in the router and leases and e-mail setup (at least, nothing was changed by this humble operator who does not know how to) - I just want the darn thing to work and don't have a clue how to do any of the things you suggest - I think most of us are simple photographers and not network people - nor should be have to be. Oh well...

picman

My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 12:49:03 pm »

I too had same problem. I was playing with somethings, but then ran out of time.
The Activity Monitor showed hpStatusAlert & hpStatusMonitor were both active - shutting them down allowed the printer to sleep.
Maybe this will help someone else who knows more that I do to find the problem.

Brian

kers

• Pieter Kers
My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 02:33:56 pm »

Quote from: davisf8

Alan

Hello Alan, are you using a Mac or a PC?  and are you connected by TCP-IP

If it is a mac maybe this helps
I am using one and just fixed the problem ( I think)  It has to do with the connection.

I think I had a connection by Bonjour. It is an easy way to connect , But every now and then the computer checks the connection and -so-  the printer is kept awake.
Now i made a manual connection - I gave my printer a number (192.168.2.2) and my second network port of the computer an other number( 192.168.2.1 )
I deleted the old connection in the printer ( system preferences) and established the new manual connection
now Z3100 says zzzz .
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:20:23 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

davisf8

My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 07:13:18 am »

Quote from: kers
Hello Alan, are you using a Mac or a PC?  and are you connected by TCP-IP

If it is a mac maybe this helps
I am using one and just fixed the problem ( I think)  It has to do with the connection.

I think I had a connection by Bonjour. It is an easy way to connect , But every now and then the computer checks the connection and -so-  the printer is kept awake.
Now i made a manual connection - I gave my printer a number (192.2.2) and my second network port of the computer an other number( 192.2.2.1 )
I deleted the old connection in the printer ( system preferences) and estabished the new manual connection
now Z3100 says zzzz .

Well, my Z3100 now goes to sleep. I un-plugged the Cat 5 cable took it off the network and started using the USB cable and all is well again!
I am using a Mac with Leopard and the solution you mention makes perfectly good sense! If I go back to the network I will use the manual connection method.

Thanks,
Alan
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:28:36 am by davisf8 »

EvoM

My Z3100 has Insomnia
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 07:34:29 pm »

Just to report that on my mac/leopard on a network setup, removing the "Bonjour" style connection worked for me.
Finally the Z3100 can go back to sleep when the computer is on...as before the latset firmware upgrade.

thanks Kers!

Evom
Pages: [1]   Go Up