Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seagate HDD Failure  (Read 21003 times)

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 02:01:07 pm »

FYI. I was able to successfully upgrade a Seagate ST31000340AS w/SD15 to SD1A using a Wiebetech RTX-200 external enclosure connected to an eSata PCi card in a MacPro 8-core. The ISO disk (CD) identified all my HD's (3 Western Digital, 1 Seagate) that were inside or connected to the MacPro, then allowed me to choose the upgradable HD in the Wiebetech enclosure, allowing a firmware upgrade to that disk only.

Worked like a charm.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:06:32 pm by rsmphoto »

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 02:10:21 pm »

Quote from: francois
Sorry for the delay..
That's what I understand... "Coupe le disque" is not a very technical explanation. I can imagine only two scenarios... Either the computer is shut down or - if this is an external HD - the HD switch is turned off before shut down.

thanks Francois...I just wonder, is there a way to know when you cross that 321 line?...kinda scary...

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 02:13:23 pm »

Quote from: rsmphoto
FYI. I was able to successfully upgrade a Seagate ST31000340AS w/SD15 to SD1A using a Wiebetech RTX-200 external enclosure connected to an eSata PCi card in a MacPro 8-core. The ISO disk (CD) identified all my HD's (3 Western Digital, 1 Seagate) that were inside or connected to the MacPro, then allowed me to choose the upgradable HD in the Wiebetech enclosure, allowing a firmware upgrade to that disk only.

Worked like a charm.

that's good to hear...I mean I haven't tried yet, but will soon...all my drives, five of 'em are in a burly enclosure...rick at macgurus said it should work fine, to upgrade the firmware via my macbook pro and the express34 card i use...I think I'll take out four drives, leave one in and see how it goes...I've already made the start up disc...adventures in computer land, don't you just love it?...

Snook

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 08:43:56 pm »

I just had 2 Seagates Barracudas 500 gigs each bought 7 months ago at B&H die on me after updating a MacPro.
Never had a problem with seagate in the past 6 years or so.. Been very reliable.
Will post more information as I found out what has happened...?

Snook

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up