Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Seagate HDD Failure  (Read 21000 times)

nikf

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 07:57:18 pm »

Quote from: ironfist
I have the drives with SD15 firmware - but all seems to be working - what is the problem with these drives?

Affected drives can stop working without warning. It's a problem in the controller firmware. Not all drives are
affected - they have to be checked by type, serial number and firmware version.

Adina

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 04:09:22 am »

infos from a seagate insider ...
see here :

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1098793&cid=26542735

... sounds plausible
there is a chance to unbrick ...

Firmware for the 7200.11 series

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...&NewLang=en

Firmware for the ES.2 series at the moment only at request ,( my request is'n answerded yet ), (or on rapidshare )

for external drives: you must put the drive direct on SATA ...

Greetings
Adina

Adina

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 04:12:11 am »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
... The issue for me is One drive has all my Final high res Tifs and the other my Raw files. Dangerous territory for me to lose. ...

the reason for my posting here ...

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 08:11:05 am »

Yes and thanks for that warning
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

bdkphoto

• http://www.brucekatzphoto.com
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 10:54:02 am »

Folks -thanks for the heads up.  It turns out that I have one of the hard drives that is affected by this potential problem.  Is there a fix for Mac- non intel g5?  I downloaded the firmware update and get only a drive detect.exe file and a read me text that is for windows.  

The drive in question is the back up (bootable) for my OS,  the start up drive for the OS is on a different brand unaffected by the problem.  Currently  I don't have any problems with either drive.

Reading through the thread and the links leaves me confused-- did seagate pull their firmware update because the new firmware was not working correctly?
Was there ever a firmware update for the Mac?

TIA

francois

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 11:09:22 am »

Quote from: bdkphoto
Folks -thanks for the heads up.  It turns out that I have one of the hard drives that is affected by this potential problem.  Is there a fix for Mac- non intel g5?  I downloaded the firmware update and get only a drive detect.exe file and a read me text that is for windows.  

The drive in question is the back up (bootable) for my OS,  the start up drive for the OS is on a different brand unaffected by the problem.  Currently  I don't have any problems with either drive.

Reading through the thread and the links leaves me confused-- did seagate pull their firmware update because the new firmware was not working correctly?
Was there ever a firmware update for the Mac?

TIA
I understand that an Intel powered Mac to update your HD firmware. The new firmware bricked some HDs but it looks like a new version is available. Hardmac.com has posted some information about the new version: http://hardmac.com/news/2009-01-22/#9474  (scroll down to Seagate posts new firmware updates).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 11:10:34 am by francois »
Francois

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 12:10:06 pm »

The Slashdot thread which Adina linked to above has information that would have put many people's minds at ease, had the information been posted on Seagate's site at the beginning. Great link, Adina.

Information is woefully sparse regarding non-Windows and non-Intel Mac solutions. Many of us have Intel portable Macs with these drives as externals, and pre-Intel PowerMacs with them internally. I find no info regarding the flashing of them via eSATA, etc. It seems the company is still reeling and can't quite come to the point of writing a simple, informative, succinct article to cover several likely scenarios. I'm glad I'm not working in that environment.

My four or so "affected" drives are working fine for now. I'll copy over to new non-Seagate drives tomorrow and keep using the drives as usual until the path is clear and reliable. I'm happy to diversify my set of drives anyway.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:13:36 pm by DFAllyn »

Adina

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 03:09:14 am »

her a "Official Message from Seagate" (maybe)

http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showth...5&subpage=1

"Q: What Seagate drives are affected by this "drive hang after power cycle" issue?

A: The following product types may be affected by this problem:
Barracuda 7200.11, Barracuda ES.2 (SATA), DiamondMax 22, FreeAgent Desk, Maxtor OneTouch 4, Pipeline HD, Pipeline HD Pro, SV35.3, and SV35.4. While only some percentage of the drives will be susceptible to this issue, Seagate recommends that all drives in these families be update d to the latest firmware!
"

Update:

i have put my 2 ES.2 drives on a service PC in the lab and make the update.

On G4 i think ther is no way at the moment.
Seagate give the update only as Iso File for CD or Image for a Floppydisc. Only for x86 systems ...

I have not testet this on my x86 Mac ...

Greetings
Adina

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 05:43:34 am »

Quote from: Adina
Hi,

it's not direct MFDB but many from us will have big HDD's for the pics ....

see:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...&NewLang=en

This is a nightmare, the first update don't detect the drive's. The second bricked the drive's ...
At the Moment there is no solution yet ...
... make Backup on non-Seagate Drives !!!

Greetings
Adina

Thanks for posting this Adina...my drives, all 750gb ST3750330as with SD15 firmware, all five of 'em seem affected...but the download page for the update just gives me a DriveDetect.exe that I can't do anything with...is this because Seagate pulled the update?...

I'm using a MacBook Pro and all my drives are external via an express34 card and a Burly enclosure...

I did read via one of the links here that it only affects 1.5tb drives so maybe I don't have to worry?...

The Burly enclosure I use has been on nearly all the time since April 2008. Shut down twice just to clean it. No problems...yet.

kind regards

M
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 05:46:09 am by momo2 »

Cfranson

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 07:12:08 am »

Quote from: momo2
.my drives, all 750gb ST3750330as with SD15 firmware, all five of 'em seem affected..
I did read via one of the links here that it only affects 1.5tb drives so maybe I don't have to worry?...
The problem is applicable to all the drives on Seagate's list and most of them are not 1.5TB. If your disks are on the list of affected drives, they are a time bomb unless the firmware is updated.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 09:40:11 am »

Quote from: Cfranson
The problem is applicable to all the drives on Seagate's list and most of them are not 1.5TB. If your disks are on the list of affected drives, they are a time bomb unless the firmware is updated.

yes, that's what it looks like, however right now I can't download any firmware upgrade...maybe they are fixing it so it works properly...

Cfranson

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 09:41:30 am »

yes, that's what it looks like, however right now I can't download any firmware upgrade...maybe they are fixing it so it works properly...
The download links are on this page.
Also, it's unlikely you will be able to update them using the external enclosure; you will need to put the drives in a Mac Pro or a PC.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:42:18 am by Cfranson »

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 09:46:26 am »

The download links are on this page.
Also, it's unlikely you will be able to update them using the external enclosure; you will need to put the drives in a Mac Pro or a PC.

thanks for the link, but that's where I've been and all I get when it opens on my computer is a DriveDetect.exe file...and a readme.txt...

I'll also have a problem then I guess because I don't have a Mac Pro or PC...I work off my laptop these days...

Cfranson

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 11:00:14 am »

thanks for the link, but that's where I've been and all I get when it opens on my computer is a DriveDetect.exe file...and a readme.txt...

Ah, you're clicking on the wrong thing. Click on the word "Download" and it takes you to this file.

Not sure how you'll get the disks updated, but I wouldn't keep using them until you do.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 11:23:27 am »

Ah, you're clicking on the wrong thing. Click on the word "Download" and it takes you to this file.

Not sure how you'll get the disks updated, but I wouldn't keep using them until you do.

hi chris, that's the file i've downloaded a few times...all i get in the dmg. that opens is that drivedetect.exe file...

and though it may be, i find it hard to believe that people with external enclosures only won't be able to upgrade the firmware...there's gotta be a ton of people like me who don't have the big desktops...

guess we'll have to wait a bit more for Seagate to give more info...it doesn't seem totally resolved now...

francois

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 11:26:15 am »

hi chris, that's the file i've downloaded a few times...all i get in the dmg. that opens is that drivedetect.exe file...

and though it may be, i find it hard to believe that people with external enclosures only won't be able to upgrade the firmware...there's gotta be a ton of people like me who don't have the big desktops...

guess we'll have to wait a bit more for Seagate to give more info...it doesn't seem totally resolved now...
You might want to try to get help on french forums such as http://www.macbidouille.com/ . I agree with you that the current situation is less than clear.
Francois

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 11:31:48 am »

Quote from: francois
You might want to try to get help on french forums such as http://www.macbidouille.com/ . I agree with you that the current situation is less than clear.

hi Francois...I bough four drives in the US and two here in France...I contacted the owner of macgurus where i bought the Burly and the four drives...his feeling is don't panic, this is just starting, wait to hear from Seagate, and also that he's sold thousands of the 750gb drives without one problem...he thinks the problems are with the 1.5tb drives of which he has had some 'issues'...

personally, i haven't had one hiccup with any of my six drives...so, I'll sit tight and wait to see what happens...macbidouille is a good suggestion...thanks...

Panopeeper

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 07:08:34 pm »

According to posts on the slashdot forum, Seagate has been stonewalling for months.

This is an occasion, when the manufacturer has to be taught a lesson. I  had many Seagates in the past decades, still have an older Barracuda running, but I will not purchase any Seagate for a while.
Gabor

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 08:27:34 pm »

Quote from: francois

Hi again Francois...I copied this explanation off macbidouille but I'm not sure I understand...could you please explain...

I mean when it says 'coupe le disque' is that a shutdown?...thanks...

Si l'on coupe le disque une fois que le le 320e événement a été consigné, le disque refusera de redémarrer et sera briqué. Si en revanche il écrit un 321e log, il ne plantera plus jamais.

francois

Seagate HDD Failure
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2009, 07:00:41 am »

Hi again Francois...I copied this explanation off macbidouille but I'm not sure I understand...could you please explain...

I mean when it says 'coupe le disque' is that a shutdown?...thanks...

Si l'on coupe le disque une fois que le le 320e événement a été consigné, le disque refusera de redémarrer et sera briqué. Si en revanche il écrit un 321e log, il ne plantera plus jamais.
Sorry for the delay..
That's what I understand... "Coupe le disque" is not a very technical explanation. I can imagine only two scenarios... Either the computer is shut down or - if this is an external HD - the HD switch is turned off before shut down.
Francois
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up