Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 new print heads expiry?  (Read 1541 times)

EvoM

z3100 new print heads expiry?
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:21:03 pm »

Hi all,

All my print heads are out of warranty but still going strong but eventually I may want to change them.
Just wondered if shelving a new print head is a good idea so it's ready to use if needed.
I have heard the print heads have an expiry date just like ink cartridges is that true?  

Evo

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:26:20 pm »

Quote from: EvoM
Hi all,

All my print heads are out of warranty but still going strong but eventually I may want to change them.
Just wondered if shelving a new print head is a good idea so it's ready to use if needed.
I have heard the print heads have an expiry date just like ink cartridges is that true?  

Evo

They have an 'expiration date' in that the HP print utility will note that they are 'out of warranty', but they continue to work just fine. I'm still on the original print heads at 5 out of 6 positions on my Z3100 after nearly two years of use. When I had one print head damaged through my own stupidity (running thick paper through the machine with a thin paper preset), HP shipped me a replacement by next-day air.

I would only bother having spare print heads on the shelf if you're printing a lot of commercial work and can't afford to be down the one or two days it takes to get a replacement.

EvoM

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:59:16 pm »

Thanks Geoff, yeah I think you are right.
I found someone selling some cartidges & print heads (new) but they have expiry dates late 2008.
They are going pretty cheap so I'm tempted to get some but not sure about the inks just expired and if that would in real terms make much difference if i started using them in the next few months.

I figure with the print heads, the expiry date doesn't really matter but not sure.

Evo
Pages: [1]   Go Up