Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax 645 for macro, vibration?  (Read 4790 times)

nubins

• http://www.lightboxf8.com
Contax 645 for macro, vibration?
« on: January 19, 2009, 04:27:21 pm »

I am investigating what Medium Format system would fit most of my needs and have narrowed it down to the Contax 645 and Fuji GX680III. Unfortunatly both are discontinued. The Fuji interests me for camera movements but the Contax is a portable system.

My main question about the Contax is vibration when using for macro.

I plan on using the 120mm macro lens with a multi-shot back (eyelike or imacon) and need the shots vibration free. Since the Contax 645 uses a focal plane shutter will this cause more vibration compared to something like a leaf shutter used on a Hasselblad lens?

Thanks

David Klepacki

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:00:10 pm »

Quote from: nubins
I am investigating what Medium Format system would fit most of my needs and have narrowed it down to the Contax 645 and Fuji GX680III. Unfortunatly both are discontinued. The Fuji interests me for camera movements but the Contax is a portable system.

My main question about the Contax is vibration when using for macro.

I plan on using the 120mm macro lens with a multi-shot back (eyelike or imacon) and need the shots vibration free. Since the Contax 645 uses a focal plane shutter will this cause more vibration compared to something like a leaf shutter used on a Hasselblad lens?

Thanks

The shutter is the least of your vibration problems with these cameras for use with a multi-shot back.  Neither of these cameras will keep the mirror locked up for the sequence of shots, and it will repeatedly bounce up and down between the shots.  The mirror bounce is way more vibration than a shutter curtain.  So, with these cameras, you must physically tape the mirror in the up position, in order to eliminate this movement, and rely on live view focusing tethered to a computer.  

Now, assuming you will be doing this, the concern about vibration is really moot.  Technically, the leaf shutter on the FUji lenses will be less vibration due to its smaller size.  In practice, I have done sixteen shot images with the Contax 645, and shutter vibration has not been a problem.  Furthermore, for macro work, you can add a bellows accessory to give you movements with the Contax 645.  So, your problem really comes down to whether you want a smaller more portable system, or a larger one with integrated capability of movements.  Either of these cameras is capable of the quality you are seeking with regard to multishot with the proper technique.

BJNY

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 06:42:26 pm »

GX680III camera body mirror, via switch, stays up for as long as you want until you decide to bring it down.

My question would be if the lenses are good enough for 16-shot
since the image circle covers the 6x8cm format.
Guillermo

David Klepacki

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:43:41 pm »

Quote from: BJNY
GX680III camera body mirror, via switch, stays up for as long as you want until you decide to bring it down.

Excellent information.  Maybe I was thinking of an earlier 680 model.  

You are right about the lenses.  Multi-shot will put a higher burden on the lenses to perform.  A 16-shot image is capable of resolving over 100 lp/mm, and lenses with larger image circles have more of a challenge in this regard when further from its center.  Maybe it can be adapted for other lenses (Hasselblad, Schneider Digitar, ...)?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:45:41 pm by David Klepacki »

nubins

• http://www.lightboxf8.com
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:55:32 pm »

4 shot mode works fine with my Contax as long as you shoot it in the 2 sec self timer mode, because the mirror flips up then the shutter fires 2 seconds later, after the mirror vibration has settled.

Any opinions on the Zeiss 120mm macro for the Contax. Is it any better than the Fuji glass. Does it resolve as well as some of the Schneider glass? I have heard some great things about the Zeiss 120mm.

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:22:41 pm »

The Fuji glass is rubbish. I have owned both a Fuji GX680III and a Contax. The Fuji looks OK on film, but as soon as you put a digital back on it and tilt or swing the lens even slightly, the quality drops dramatically and the aberration is awful. I assume this is because of the ability to pixel peep with digital so you can really scrutinize a lens. The Contax lenses are supurb by comparison, but of course can't be tilted or swung. I have successfully shot a 4 shot on the contax without taping up the mirror, as long as the camera is on a heavy tripod or camera stand. A 16 shot won't work with the mirror - I haven't tried taping it up. I have a Novoflex Balpro T/S with a 100mm lens head on it, and that lens is also superb, even with extreme tilts. Unfortunately a wider lens doesn't give infinity focus according to Novoflex.

Ben

Quote from: nubins
Any opinions on the Zeiss 120mm macro for the Contax. Is it any better than the Fuji glass. Does it resolve as well as some of the Schneider glass? I have heard some great things about the Zeiss 120mm.

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 08:25:23 pm »

My 680III wouldn't do this - the mirror would flip down between every one of the 16 shots, making it useless for multishot captures. Even in multiple exposure mode. I think it had to do this to re-cock the shutter. The whole mechanism seems to be physically linked I think.

Ben

Quote from: BJNY

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:34:11 pm by bdp »

BJNY

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:48:18 pm »

Sorry guys, my bad.
The mirror does stay up for as long as needed
but in single shot mode.
Guillermo
Pages: [1]   Go Up