Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson 3800  (Read 3495 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
epson 3800
« on: January 19, 2009, 02:44:32 pm »

Anyone familiar with Epson's history for new printer model releases want to venture an educated guesses as to when the Epson 3800 model might be refreshed?

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
epson 3800
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:08:08 pm »

If you're waiting for a new model before making a purchase, don't.  I bought mine in December, and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.  It's an outstanding printer, and especially at today's prices (I got mine for $925 after rebate), even if a new model were to come out, I'd be paying significantly more for what i would expect to be only marginal improvements.  After all, it's hard to improve on near-perfection!

arbito

epson 3800
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:50:35 pm »

I'd completely agree. I just bought mine in late December thinking the $200 rebate would expire. Take advantage of the savings and enjoy spending the extra cash on paper. Really impressed with the 3800.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
epson 3800
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:03:12 am »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
If you're waiting for a new model before making a purchase, don't.  I bought mine in December, and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.  It's an outstanding printer, and especially at today's prices (I got mine for $925 after rebate), even if a new model were to come out, I'd be paying significantly more for what i would expect to be only marginal improvements.  After all, it's hard to improve on near-perfection!
I agree entirely, although I'm green with jealousy at the prices you pay for kit in the States. I paid £950 last May, when the exchange rate was close to $2/£. Ah well. It's worth the money.

Jeremy

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
epson 3800
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 07:49:29 am »

Well, I'm still very happy with the output from my R2400 as well. I have a project requiring larger prints this summer, so am not in immediate need of a larger format printer, so that was why I was asking about the arrival of a replacement. The current 3800 sounds like a superb printer, I wonder where new improvements would be seen?

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
epson 3800
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 10:55:32 am »

Quote from: soboyle
Well, I'm still very happy with the output from my R2400 as well. I have a project requiring larger prints this summer, so am not in immediate need of a larger format printer, so that was why I was asking about the arrival of a replacement. The current 3800 sounds like a superb printer, I wonder where new improvements would be seen?
My guess would be incorporating the new inks, and (hopefully) getting rid of the pizza wheel problem that some seem to have.  I haven't had these problems myself, but you should never have such problems with a professional series printer.  Like I said, though, I'm completely satisfied with the 3800 as-is.

howardm

epson 3800
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 07:30:20 pm »

Mine doesn't show pizza marks (thankfully) and Epson just sent me a new front door (first wouldn't close right) so
I'm good and very pleased w/ it.  Some heavy RedRiver gloss did get stuck together and sent 2-3 sheets through which
made a heck of a mess but a cleaning cycle cleared it up.

Of course, now that I bought one, the new product annoucement is immanent

BradSmith

epson 3800
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:16:16 am »

So it looks like no one has even attempted to answer your question.  Probably because 99% of people have no idea at all, and those who do are under Non-Disclosure Agreements.

Brad

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
epson 3800
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 01:15:52 pm »

I would be very surprised if the new 12-ink set shows up in a 3800 replacement anytime soon. It seems Epson wants to protect the price-point of the 7900/9900, they're targeting the proofing market with these inks. They haven't even released a 4900 replacement yet, which would almost certainly come before a 3900. Plus given the small size of the 3800, I wonder if there's even room for the additional inks/heads.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
epson 3800
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 03:21:41 pm »

Who knows what Epson will do.  I personally thought they would upgrade the 3800 to the Vivid Magenta Inkset some time ago ... I would expect that change to happen some time,  a "3880" with the vivid magenta inks seems logical. As others mentioned this printer has stellar output and very little clogging issues ... there isn't a lot to improve on.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:00:30 pm by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up