Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Opinion needed: Best Rag paper for archival printing

(1/4) > >>

Henry Goh:
I wish to move to using rag-based archival media.  I have no experience yet with rag, using mostly Epson Premium Luster and Gloss papers.  I want to now use rag for better permanence.  Can you guys please share some of your findings because it is quite difficult to even buy such material where I am so experimenting is going to be tough.  Thanks a zillion.

bill t.:

--- Quote from: Henry Goh ---Can you guys please share some of your findings because it is quite difficult to even buy such material where I am so experimenting is going to be tough.  Thanks a zillion.
--- End quote ---
First...those fine art rag papers look VERY different than Premium Luster and the glossy papers.  I mean, REALLY different!

You probably should buy a few sample packs, there are a few links below.  Besides differences in image quality, a big difference among the rag papers is the surface texture.  There are huge variations in the surface texture from no texture at all, to very textured.  The sample packs will help you decide what you like.

The smooth rag papers make very sharp, relatively high contrast prints, the more textured papers are less sharp and usually have less contrast.

A good transition paper between Premium Luster and rag papers might be Epson UltraSmooth Fine Art paper, which I am sure you can find in Singapore.  It is very smooth so it prints sharp.  The color and contrast are on the high side for a matte paper, but really nowhere near the glossies.  It is expensive, 2 or 3 times more than Epson RC papers.  It is highly archival.

If you just want to experiment with matte papers, try Epson Enhanced Matte.  In terms of print contrast it is one of the closest matte papers to the glossy RC papers.  It is not fully archival, although it has very good ratings from the testing labs.  If costs less than Epson RC papers.

One thing to remember...when you frame matte paper behind glass, it looks a little bit glossy!  The differences between matte and glossy papers are not so great when they are framed.  You can also coat matte papers with various spray coatings which make them look glossy and increase the contrast.

Here is a page of sample packs for all the popular types of papers.  The "Hahnemuhle FA Variety" sample pack shows the range of texture from smooth  (Natural Art Duo and Photo Rag) to very textured (German Etching and William Turner).   There are 2 sheets each of 9 different papers 8.5 x 11 inches.
http://www.inkjetart.com/cart/media-sample...ks-c-1_805.html

Henry Goh:

--- Quote from: bill t. ---First...those fine art ra/url]
--- End quote ---

Bill,  Thank you.

I guess I have to look out for smoother rag.  I just want to find a suitable rag medium for archival purpose, not for texture or contrast.

jdoyle1713:
The Majority of "Rag" Papers are for matte Black ink.. So Make your Choice..If you want Photo Black "Rag Papers"

There are several from Hahnemuhle & Museo Silver Rag!

Good Luck

Cheers
Jim Doyle
http://www.shadesofpaper.com

JimGoshorn:
I have been going through the same questions. For photo black ink and max purity you have Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta and Museo Silver Rag. For matte black ink there is a larger selection of papers but two to look at are Epson UltraSmooth and Museo Portfolio Rag. I haven't tried the Museo products yet but I have tried the Photo Rag Baryta and UltraSmooth and like both. The Epson Premium Luster and Enhanced Matte make good proof papers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version