Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you embrace the 'strobist' movement with a Hasselblad?  (Read 5473 times)

sperera

Can you embrace the 'strobist' movement with a Hasselblad?
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:37:08 pm »

.....the H3D-31 has a pop-up flash....many people will ridicule that Im sure but i definately see its worth.....so, the question is.....Hasselblad plus off camera small flashes.....whats your opinion?.....personally its a why not from me.....

I use the Nikon CLS system (useles in really bright daylight Ive found) on my D300 and control flashes from the camera....dialling them up or down manually so I would be looking to do that with the H3D-31 with pocket wizards or Skyport etc.......you think the Hasselblad needs a portable battery pack plus heads at the very - not small flashes on stands etc like 'strobists' use because you just need a more powerful light source cos of the lenses depth of field.....ie. you need to go to f11 to get decent focus on a person eg if out there in non-studio controlled light scenarios????

opinions please.....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 10:38:59 pm by sperera »
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:14:48 am »

Sure why not? Test it to see if you like the results. If you like it, go for it.

John

sperera

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:53:09 am »

Quote from: Juanito
Sure why not? Test it to see if you like the results. If you like it, go for it.

John
im asking cos i dont have a Hasselblad but debating whether to get one....thanks for commenting anyway
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:39:49 am »

I dont know what you mean by the strobist movement exactly - I know the site of course

I have been using my blad with pocket wizards and qflashes for years

works great

no synch limit

I like wizards because they work in all light unlike optical triggering

If you can afford a blad you can afford them unlike some stobist readers who are going for super budget

S

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

billthecat

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 07:55:42 am »

With a bigger sensor I want a bigger flash. With a Canon 1Ds I was happy with a 580ex, but with medium format I take along at least one Alien Bee portable jumbo softbox.

With an 80mm lens I was using f/11 to try to get small group shots in focus. I had to use the biggest Alien Bee at full power.

Bill

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 08:27:26 am »

I use both Hasselblad and Nikon. Sure you can use the small flashes as well as larger ones. I also do this sometimes in the studio. I see no reason why you could not do this on location.

Yes, the Hasselblad is limited in ISO range, needs faster shutter speed due to longer lenses, etc.. You set your lights accordingly where you will end up with a slightly different mix of ambient and flash than if you would use the Nikon. In some cases (or maybe places is a better term) you will end up deciding to take the Nikon instead of the H because you can't get the ambient at a decent level because you don't want to go above ISO400 or below 1/125th while you do want to use f8 for enough DoF.

I don't use the small strobes together with the H that often because when I have to carry that weight I also bring the Ranger or Mono's. However I am starting to look in to bringing the small flashes more often.

Yes, I think you can up to a certain point. Sure, I am convinced you will run into limitations sooner than with the Nikon. It is also the fun of getting to work as light as possible with the small strobes somehow a H doesn't really fit in there. Than again doing something that is out of the mainstream can be just real fun
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:28:50 am by Dustbak »

ixpressraf

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 08:37:21 am »

H3d 31 has better high iso then a D300 so it will work just fine as Dustbak mentioned..

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 10:32:19 am »

You don't need strobes for every shot. I've handheld the Hassie down to 1/60th wide open and got good results. Those little Nikon strobes will actually put out a good pop so I don't see why they wouldn't work. The whole strobist thing though is to stay light and make use of what you've got which is sort of contradictory to the MF way of life which is big and clunky.

When I shoot MF, I'm usually popping 7b's or other strobe packs all over the place. The main reason I use my H1 is to overpower sunlight with the fast sync speed. For that, big strobes are needed - the little guys won't work. If I want to keep things simple, I just stick with my small format kit. Overall, small format is a lot more versatile and easier to work with.

In a sense, using MF with strobist techniques is like bringing a draft horse to a racetrack. Yeah, it will run around the track, but it's really not the right horse for the job.

John

Justin Berman

• http://www.justinberman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 11:36:58 am »

Quote from: ixpressraf
H3d 31 has better high iso then a D300 so it will work just fine as Dustbak mentioned..

Er. In what world is this true? Link me to some test results that prove it. The High ISO on my D300 is excellent, the high ISO on my friends H3d31 is terrible, and in what way can the hasselblad get all the way up to 6400?

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 08:08:28 pm »

yes, I do it all the time - but one thing to note - the hassie and most MF LCD's suck so you wont be able to see a lot of whats going on while experimenting the way you can w/ the Nikon you have - this is a major hassle of MFDB...have a laptop, a card reader w/ a screen or something similar handy if you want to zoom in and see whats up...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:11:39 pm by jimgolden »

Barry Goyette

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 09:05:45 pm »

I think the real philosophy around the "strobist" movement is about learning how to light....beyond the camera mounted flash unit, so in that sense, it really doesn't matter what camera you use. Now, As many who both subscribe to "the movement" and use the term "strobist" are in fact, amateurs, perhaps one who purchases a $25k -30k camera for such pursuits might be considered having more dollars than sense (and someone I'd like to have a drink with).

That said, the other day a client produced from her purse, a swimwear catalog, all shot in Miami at night with nothing but an on-camera strobe. The effect was edgy, sexy and elegant, and the client wanted to shoot the spring lines this way. I popped on over to RRS and picked up their lower priced flash bracket, mounted a Vivitar 285 (shows you how long I've been around, and how long it's been since I've use on-camera flash) on my H3d-31, and gosh-darn-it if we didn't get some really nice shots. As the Hassy handle's skintones way better than anything with the name canon on it, I feel it was a nice fit.( the hasselblad autofocus works pretty well in low light as well).

Barry

[attachment=11122:christiflash.jpg]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:07:29 pm by Barry Goyette »

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 02:45:19 pm »

nice barry - dang

sperera

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 04:07:11 pm »

thanks for all your replies everyone! appreciate every single answer...........
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

sperera

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 08:24:21 pm »

Quote from: jimgolden
yes, I do it all the time - but one thing to note - the hassie and most MF LCD's suck so you wont be able to see a lot of whats going on while experimenting the way you can w/ the Nikon you have - this is a major hassle of MFDB...have a laptop, a card reader w/ a screen or something similar handy if you want to zoom in and see whats up...
so you think the H3D-31 2 inch screen on the back is unusable in the way i use the D300's screen at the back - i use it with a Hasselblad magnifier actually as it allows me to look at pics without being hindered by too much daylight....I make quick decisions as I go along....so with the Hassy forget it?????????????
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up